General Boards > Redecorating and Updating your Motorhome

repainting bumpers and front cap

(1/1)

Keith George:
good evening
has anyone had their bumpers and caps repainted in the pacific northwest area? our patriot has the cracking clear coat issue mostly on the front cap on the dark
green. medium green needs repair. light green not so bad. the area above the windshield is really bad its not peeling off as others are describing just deep cracks
looks like they go deep as if there is Bondo filler failing under the paint. the front has clear bra over the paint the clear is cracking under it. reading the blog on
diy repair ours has to much area needing attention. any recommendations or suggestions? thank you

Joel Ashley:
Guarantee RV in Junction City does a lot of clear coat fails, as of course does BCS and Bend RV Repair.  BCS gave me the highest quote for the roof side rails and the tops and upper faces of both caps, but then you know their work will be among the best you could get.  Jeff Spears’ Bend RV Repair had a lower preliminary estimate without actually having examined the problems, and Guarantee gave a ball park based on tons of similar jobs they’ve done, also without actually looking at the coach, and at $4000 was lowest.

That was a few years back and illnesses have had us sidelined, so I’ve not had the job done yet.  I’m leaning toward Bend RV Repair when we can get traveling again, and his quote was this year.

Joel

William Jordan:
The front part is probably diamond shield.not clear coat  The shield itself cracks and lets mold etc discolor That can be removed and on the ones I’ve seen the paint will look like new once the shield is off. The cost to remove it and polish it In FL is $800-$1000. In regards to the transition caps My neighbor here in the fl resort had his caps sanded repainted and clear coated for less than 2000 and it looks great after 3 years in the sun. Perhaps a trip south , paid for by the savings might be in order? My front roof , the sloping part not supported by plywood underneath had some cracking. I was told microcracking ( and leaks) of the roof fiberglass was not unusual.
Unrelated  The prior owner of my coach painted the roof with a thick covering  I suspect to correct that. I have since painted it again myself with marine deck coat paint to clean it up and make it look great.
The numbers I got in Oregon were all very expensive comparatively.

Stan Simpson:

--- Quote from: William Jordan on March 06, 2021, 03:42:38 PM ---The cost to remove it and polish it In FL is $800-$1000.

--- End quote ---

Need this done on our coach. Saw a post in another forum re a guy in Ft Meyers area who was $1200. What part of the state are you located. We winter in Largo/Indian Rocks Beach area. A $200 savings would be worth a trip.

William Jordan:
Ugly shield  in ft Meyers used to be 800 but must have gone up? I see it’s by bid now they also sell the chemical 8n a diy kit ....  Hotties detail in clermont still says 800 “up”  on their web site. I haven’t seen their work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version