Author Topic: Aladdin Display  (Read 2478 times)

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
Aladdin Display
« on: June 06, 2021, 04:03:19 AM »
I have a 2006 Monterey.  My Aladdin system displays on the TV when I turn it on from the joystick.  However, i understand it also should be able to display on the Sony backup camera monitor.  It has never done so while I have owned it (3 years).  I would like to be able to monitor engine parameters while underway.  I cannot do that.  What is supposed to trigger the display of the Aladdin system on the backup monitor.  Is it supposed to come on when the ignition switch is energized?  When the ignition switch is energized, the monitor displays the backup camera and I have found no way to change it.  Can anyone shed light on how this is supposed to work and how I should proceed in diagnosing the issues?  Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Richard

06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Aladdin Display
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 03:06:20 PM »
The Aladdin display on our coach operates with the ignition key in either the Accessory (left) or ON (right) positions.  It does not display with the ignition key in the Off (center) position.

Have you tried to reset the Aladdin?  In our coach, the Reset Button is located in an upper cabinet, left side, over the pilot's seat.

By moving the Aladdin's Joystick to either the left or right (I forget which now), the display will show a Table of Contents including about six selectable options.  Moving the Joystick either forward or backward will move the pointer arrow to select the wanted option, then move the Joystick Right to engage the selected option.  The second option selects the engine and transmission statistics; the third option selects the Leg1, Leg2, solar, and House battery statistics.  One of the options (#4 maybe) selects the cameras.

Our coach has both the Aladdin and Silverleaf displays.  When traveling, I set the Aladdin display to the engine and transmission statistics, and set the Silverleaf display to engine and TPMS statistics.  If Reverse (R) is selected on the transmission keypad, then both displays change to the rear camera's image.  If the Left or Right turn signals are engaged, then both displays go to either the Left or Right camera's image, respectively.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 03:58:34 PM »
David
I appreciate your response. Yes!  I have reset the Aladdin system.  My problem is that I can only get the Aladdin display on the TV.  It will not display on the backup monitor.  The backup monitor only and always shows the rear camera (I only have the one camera).  It is not controlled by the transmission selection.  I would really like to get the Aladdin to display on the backup monitor so I can view engine and transmission parameters while underway.  I hope this makes sense.
Richard   

Anand Shah

• BAC Member
  • 2007 Marquis Lapis 45, C15 600HP
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 04:06:41 PM »
Is there a video cable connected to the Sony display from the Aladdin box?   Does the camera signal go into the Aladdin box?   From what I can tell, the Aladdin box sends a hot video signal to the head unit (mine is a Kenwood) - the head units are designed to prioritize hot video (they turn on automatically when the reverse camera is powered in normal setups).   You should have a signal going to the TV and to the Sony Monitor for this to work. 

In mine (2007) there are two units (one that is radio/navigation and one dedicated to Aladdin display), both Kenwood, the Aladdin box under the dash cover sends its video to one and then when the cameras are triggered (turn signals / reverse) sends video to both.

I'm still new to Aladdin so not sure if this helps or even if I am correct.. :)
Anand and Shilpa Shah
2007 Beaver Marquis Lapis 45 "BeaverBus"
Cat C-15 600HP
Towing 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 05:12:05 PM »
My guess is that someone moved a cable on the Aladdin control box so that the back up camera was only displayed on the monitor. On our coach, the aladdin control box (or whatever its called) is behind a panel in a cabinet over the pilots head. If you can find the box, I'll bet all you'll have to do is move a video cable to allow the control box (via the joystick) to control the video output to the monitor.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 01:06:42 AM »
We have the same Ventura IV.  I do not have to do anything with the ignition, as the Aladdin isn’t powered through it.  Just move one of the joysticks forward or “up” to turn the Sony and Aladdin on.  All the Aladdin features come up except the ignition does have to be “on” for any engine-related data to display, which makes sense.  It’s been awhile since I’ve used the TV aspect, but I think the TV(s) has to be set on specific “Input 1” to display the same Aladdin screens as the Sony.  But that’s aside from your issue.

My guess is that the Aladdin feed is disconnected from the back of the Sony, or from the “VCM”, Aladdin Video Control Module.  I say that because techs or owners more frequently fool around under that part of the dash, and stuff happens.  There should be a black wire and plug in the middle lower back of the Sony, visible with a flashlight if your top dash access port is open.  That is likely the main Aladdin feed.  On mine there are also 3 small wires, green, black, and fused white that are plugged in streetside of the big black one;  I’m guessing they are for the side cameras I had BCS install at delivery, and perhaps the rear camera.  I can’t see enough of the Sony’s back to read port or ID info.

As to the VCM, I haven’t seen mine but if I were to be ambitious about it I’d open the upholstered access in the side of the driver’s left switch panel, next to his left knee, and check in there.  It should look like the image below.   If you can find the VCM, the TV lines should run from Output #1, yellow video top, white audio (L) middle, red audio (R) bottom.  The screen video feed I’d guess should be one of the remaining two top outputs.  Assuming that is properly connected, I’d then suspect the engine and house bus connections on the left of the VCM, but not if you have those come up on the TV okay.

All that said, there is on mine in the 12v electric bay, streetside foremost, a “J1939 Bridge” that’s not on any of my Aladdin diagrams or descriptions, and that has 12 connections that may be involved with or causative to your situation.  You might check it for high resistance connection issues if nothing else mentioned is obvious.

Sorry not to be able to guide you directly to the VCM.  For more info, check the Coach Assist section for a copy of my electrical diagrams book, which you should have anyway given its the same coach.  There are also more than one manual and troubleshooting documents for Aladdin in Coach Assist;  you might peruse those.  I believe there is an ‘06 Monterey owners manual there, pg. 165, also, if you need basic Aladdin guidance for adjustments or Sony screen use.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:14:11 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 02:09:55 AM »
Joel
Thanks much for the information.  My Aladdin VCM is tucked above the "A" pillar on the drivers side.  I assume yours is in the same place if you need to go looking for it.  It is accessible by removing the front end panel inside the cabinet above the driver side window.  There are two sets of RCA cables on the output side on mine.  I guess I m going to have to chase cables to see which set goes to the TV and which set goes to the Sony monitor.  On my Sony monitor there are 3 camera ports, only 1 of them is occupied since I only have 1 camera.  Then there are the wires you describe going into a plug connector left of the camera ports.  The RCA cables that leave the Aladdin VCM do NOT come to the Sony monitor, so I am confused as to the connection from the VCM to the Sony monitor.  I will continue digging and chasing cables.
Richard   

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 02:17:03 AM »
Another image.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 02:29:25 AM »
Oops… I missed this page;  It explains a lot.  Thanks for the VCM location.  Many coaches have their reset switch up there, but mine is over the entry door.  Reckon I shoulda known.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 02:36:57 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 03:02:52 AM »
Joel
Thanks!  That explains a lot.  The RCA cables plugged into video out on the VCM do NOT go to the Sony monitor.  The Sony gets it's VCM and backup camera feed from the ports on the other end of the VCM.  I am assuming the VCM has the function of displaying the Aladdin information or the backup camera video feed.  What is the key that determines which is displayed?  Does your backup camera come on only when you shift into reverse?  My Sony monitor ONLY comes on with the ignition switch and is a continuous feed from the backup camera.  I am wondering if a previous owner intentionally had it done this way so the backup camera is a continuous feed mimicking a rear view mirror.  I like the idea of having the backup camera as a rear view mirror, but would like to be able switch to view the Aladdin information when I choose.  That's what I am shooting for.
Richard

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 03:24:47 AM »
On our coach, and I think Joel mentioned this; Its the joystick that controls the Aladdin. Even with ign off, if you move the joystick to the left, this will turn on the (in your case) Sony dash monitor and the Aladdin menu screen will pop up. Turning OFF the ignition will tell the Aladdin to likewise turn off (after a few seconds countdown). So yes, I think a previous owner 'disabled' the Aladdin on the monitor in favor of an always on back up camera. So making the video connection between the Aladdin VCM and your Sony monitor should cure your ills. And you can always select the rearview camera from the Aladdin screen, with the joystick.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 03:43:20 AM »
The key doesn’t have to be other than off.  Push up on the joystick to turn on the Aladdin on the Sony.  Then press right or left for different screens, or up and down to scroll each screen.  If I put it in reverse the backup camera comes up, otherwise I can scroll the Main Menu to “Select Video Source” and press the stick up or down to keep cycling through my 3 cameras.  Also when on the “Engine/Trans Status” screen, there’s a “Camera >” option there such that pressing the stick right you can cycle between cameras. 

That’s nice since I’m usually on that Engine screen monitoring things (which is just what you are trying to regain on your coach), and just tapping the stick up shows the toad, and again to check traffic lanes aside of me or rocks, signposts, power pedestals, trees, or logs, etc. beside me while backing up.  A simple tap back left returns me to the engine monitoring screen, or right is a repeating slideshow set of engine, tranny, outside temps, mileage, speed, and you name it current data.  Back left to cameras, and left again to the main engine screen. 

I understand that you don’t have the side cameras, but I reckon that should just mean yours is a tad less complex to sort out.  Somehow I managed to sneak a shot of the back of my Sony, albeit not ideal.

By the way, my screen is set on Input C.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 04:11:20 AM »
Joel
Thanks!  It is nice to know how things are "supposed" to work.  I will continue to explore to see if I can recover the original functionality.
Richard