Author Topic: Generator not starting  (Read 2518 times)

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
Generator not starting
« on: April 06, 2021, 07:35:16 PM »
The generator would not start. The default code is 45, which means low starting power from the batteries. I just installed new lifeline batteries and the generator still will not start. The default code is still 45 even with new batteries. I primed the generator to start but it seems that the batteries a low. The voltage 13.7. Any ideas?
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Generator not starting
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 11:09:18 PM »
13.7 is fine.  It sounds more likely it’s a poor connection at a switch or at the genset.  If you have a second switch on the genset, like mine, does it start off that, or is it dysfunctional like the dash switch?  If neither works, it’s likely a hot or ground connection at the genset.   When the new batteries went in were all their connections tight?  A wire overlooked?

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 03:00:23 PM »
yes, the wire and connection are tight. I will check the connection to the generator from the power supply. Thanks for the response.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 04:33:45 PM »
George
Most of the gen sets use the chassis batteries not the house batteries for starting .
Try turning on the ignition switch and pushing the boost button while trying to start the gen set .
You may also check the voltage at the cable connections on the back of the gen set .
it's not on common for those cables to get corroded at that point , it may be inside the gen set box as well it's going to take some checking with a volt meter to find your deficiency.
Personally I would check at the back of the gen set connections using a battery load tester to see what the voltage was under a moderate load.
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 04:45:52 PM »
Thanks for the help, it does, I will check the connectors and voltage as you suggested.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 05:24:00 PM »
George
If it starts ok with the boost you my have an issue with your chassis batteries.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 05:03:09 PM »
The batteries are ok, the connection is good and clean. The power to the generator is 12 volts. Called Onan in Tampa they said just bring it in and they will check it and it should be a very quick fix. They think the starter may just be stuck. To tap on it, but I going to bring it in.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 07:33:07 PM »
George
Permeant magnet starters don't like to be taped  Or beaten on it breaks the magnets destroying the starter.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 11:26:32 PM »
Does the start try to crank the motor at all or do you just get a click. Connect a multimeter to the + and - terminals from the batteries and see what voltage you have then try and start the generator and see what voltage drop you get, it should stay close to 12 volts.
I had this problem with my 06 PT the starter circuit cable was too small for the load to start the generator.