Author Topic: Foamy Water  (Read 1761 times)

Christian Fish

• BAC Member
Foamy Water
« on: April 11, 2021, 12:55:43 AM »
We are on the first trip of the season at Mt. Hood. When I dewinterized the water system at home using the water pump I noticed the pump on light doesn’t work in any position, but the pump works normally. Plus, whenever I turn on a tap, the water comes out foamy for up to 45 seconds and then clears. It seams to foam more from the hot water than the cold. The water is clear and tastes normal. It didn’t do this before I winterized it.
2005 Beaver Monterey Ventura III 36'
Cat C-9 400hp
2013 F-150 Toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Foamy Water
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 01:04:55 AM »
  Christian,
If you used the pink non toxic anti-freeze, it will foam for a while. You may try to dump the fresh water tank and refill then flush the lines one more time. The indicator lamps are short lived on these coaches. When replacing the indicators, use the newer style with the LED bulbs. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Christian Fish

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 02:49:50 AM »
Hi Fred,
Thanks for responding.
I have 4 pump on indicator lights, they all worked before and now none of them work so I don’t think it’s failed bulbs.  I wondered if the antifreeze would be behind the foam. We have been using city water for 3 days and still have foam.
Cat C-9 400hp
2013 F-150 Toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 02:19:08 PM »
    Christian,
 Sorry we did not get it on the first try. I am not sure how you winterized the coach initially, but retrace your steps and see if there is a fitting on the supply side of the water pump that may be allowing air to enter the system. Check for any leaks at the pump itself or the diaphragm housing.
   Somewhere near the water pump is the water pump controller. All the water pump switches are daisy chained together to this device. That way it can be activated from 1 switch and deactivated from another. Check all the connections at the controller. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 04:16:00 PM »
Christian
If you have an Aqua hot system the hot water coming from the boiler is tempered by a tempering valve if the boiler is hot the tempering valve mixes the very hot water with cold water so you end up with useable not scalding hot water.
When you dewinterize it's important to run lots of water through the hot water side before turning on the heat to flush the antifreeze out it surprising how much antifreeze is held in the domestic hot water loop inside the Aqua hot.
For some reason when the pink antifreeze is heated it makes tonnes of foam almost like it boils at lower temperature than water .
I've found with my Aquahot that if the antifreeze within the domestic loop foams too much it gets very hot and  the tempering valve will shift letting only cold water through if this happen it's best to shut down the heat and run the hot water till all the antifreeze is flushed out.
If you are getting hot water just keep running it till the antifreeze and foam stop it could take as much as 50 gallons of water.
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Christian Fish

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 05:34:42 PM »
Following up on this. I still had nearly continuous foam from the sink in the bathroom, the rest of the faucets were clear. I finally had time to run the washer empty to clear out the antifreeze and the foam was gone. Also the pump on light started working again.
Cat C-9 400hp
2013 F-150 Toad