Author Topic: Air Leak in 1999 Contessa on Drivers side only  (Read 3575 times)

Mike Gineris

Air Leak in 1999 Contessa on Drivers side only
« on: April 27, 2021, 07:00:13 PM »
I have a slow air leak somewhere that causes the coach to loose air to the bags on only the drivers side.  It takes about one day for it to bleed out and the coach to dramatically lean.  Advice on where to go first on this?

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Air Leak in 1999 Contessa on Drivers side only
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 07:40:25 PM »
Mike
The right and left rear air bag sets each have there own ride height valves your leak would be in the effected side. a leak at the ride height valve or one of the connections to it or that sides air bags
Dish soap and water make an excellent solution to spray on all the air lines and fittings ( look for bubbles)
It is possible to have a leaking air bag but that's not as common as one might think although it is a 22 year old coach it is possible.
If you have an air leveling system there is another valve set involved called a six pack named for its six solenoid valves mounted on its aluminum base these solenoids have O rings which can be the source of your leak as well but this is only if your coach is equipped with an HWH air leveling system.

Be careful under the coach it is best to have it on rams or blocks to avoid being crushed in the event of a sudden air lose of air to the air bags.

Most common leaks are at fittings office height valve
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Mike Gineris

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 07:50:23 PM »
The Air Dump switch doesn't work either.  I imagine it's a separate issue.  Thanks for the advice.  Is it OK to drive up on blocks and then bleed the air out using the two valves use to bleed water from the tanks?

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 08:01:16 PM »
Mike
You want to look for leaks with the system aired up.

Your dump switch should only work with the key in the accessory position .
And if your coach is like mine there are manual shut off valves at each of the dump solenoids which if they are turned off prevent the solenoids from dumping the air ( I mention this because mine had been shut off went I got the coach)

The dump valves 4 in total are mounted  high on the frame cross members two for the front on the cross members ahead of the fuel tank behind the gen set. And two on the cross members ahead of the rear axle for the rears.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:24:17 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 10:36:00 PM »
Mike,
First place you may want to check is the level control for the left rear. It will be on the left side inboard from the left rear wheels. Be sure to brace the coach up with hard wood blocks or a substantial hydraulic jack before working under the coach.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Anand Shah

• BAC Member
  • 2007 Marquis Lapis 45, C15 600HP
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 04:28:59 AM »
On a side question.  Do the Valid air levelers also have leaky six packs?
Anand and Shilpa Shah
2007 Beaver Marquis Lapis 45 "BeaverBus"
Cat C-15 600HP
Towing 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 01:36:02 PM »
Anand
The power gear system also uses six pack valves which look very similar to the HWH valve block
They also have "O" rings on their solenoid valve and although I've personally never had to repair a leak on one of these I amagin they'll leak in time just as the HWH units do as the "O" rings deteriorate with age.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Mike Gineris

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 04:28:06 PM »
Thanks for the detailed info.  My wife is begging me to have a repair shop look it over for safety reasons. 

Mike Gineris

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 08:02:50 PM »
Air leak is in the manifolds.  Left Rear has slow leak that becomes more evident when you tap on the manifold (Blue anodized Aluminum).  Removed and reinserted a fresh cut line and it still leaked.  Can the manifold be rebuilt or does it need replacing?  Are they still available?

Mike Gineris

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 10:47:34 PM »

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 10:56:13 PM »
Mike
If it's just a manifold and not an HWH six pack
The manifolds are just that if need be you can replace them with tee fittings to create you own manifolds
Many of us here have had leak problems with push to connect fittings and a lot of us have replaced them with DOT compression fittings.
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Scott Hinote

• BAC Member
  • 727-744-5531
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 12:59:23 AM »
Hi good discussion . We just recently bought our 2000 Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga . The previous owner showed me the receipts where he purchased and had all 8 air bags installed . My coach drives and handles great , but if I leave it parked and the air bags inflated I have the same problem , the driver side deflates and the coach tilts terribly . When the bags are deflated there is no room at all to get under the coach to be able to check for leaks . I apologize this isn’t my post . But does anyone have a recommendation as to what’s the best way to perform this inspection ? I’m referring to using a bottle with soapy water to check for leaks . Thanks all of you
C.Scott Hinote
2000 Patriot
CAT 3126B  330hp

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 04:38:21 AM »
Scott,

Make some ramps to drive the coach up on, and then get some(4) 6x6 blocks of wood cut to about 8 inches to put between the 2 frames. When/if the air bags leak down they will be held up by the blocks. The ramps will give you even more or maybe just enough room to crawl under the MH.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 12:05:48 PM »
Scott
Once you have the coach on ramps ( at least 6 or 8 inch high ramps) the first thing to check is the ride height valve for the effected side came from there work through the air line fittings to the air bags and don't forget the small manifolds and dump valve.

Good luck
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 10:39:13 PM »
To support Eric’s input and just to be clear, Mike, may we assume that are you parking the coach and not changing anything from “Travel Mode”?  Or are you parking and then leveling?  I know you’ve “zeroed in” on the manifold, but…

You did mention the Dump switch didn’t function, but depending on the leveling system that may or may not be indicative here.  Our HWH leveling panel has a dump button but there’s also a “dash” dump rocker switch that I use with diligence as needed in rare highway/campground road situations.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat