Author Topic: New to us 2006 PT 525  (Read 4662 times)

rkevincarson

New to us 2006 PT 525
« on: April 30, 2021, 05:22:37 AM »
We just purchased a 2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder 525.  Just wondering if anyone had a checklist for starting, parking, short stay (with air and hydraulic jacks), long stay (> a couple days), getting ready to travel, and driving.  I have read the manual but it seems like I have to look in many places to find different procedures.   Just thought someone might have some hints or lists.  Appreciate any help.  Just want to do it right.
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Carr, Fred Brooks

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: New to us 2006 PT 525
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 07:55:22 AM »
Park on reasonably level ground.  Park brake on.  Slides out.  Auto level.  We use air almost never jacks.
More depends on your equipment, hookups and length of stay.  When dry camping we run the generator AM and PM 90 minutes.  During this time we also charge any batteries for lights etc .
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 02:00:21 PM »
Keith is correct we enjoyed our 06 for 10 years she is a great coach now with a new Beaver. the HWH  level system was very good I did change the air pump to a Valair pump for a faster recovery from a low air. Loved the ability to rise and lower at will also added 5 gallons with the tilt.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 02:07:29 PM »
   Kevin,
  Welcome to the adventure. You may check out Google for Arrival & Departure check lists for Class A motorhomes or better yet, start to create your own and refine as you go. The main thing is to have FUN and not cause too much damage in the process. My wife Cindy came up with a system 25 years ago that helps. We put ladies hair clips on the steering wheel with labels to remind us of the departure sequence that cost us the most money to fix if we forget. Some of them are the awning, power cord, refrigerator door locked, satellite dish, TV antenna, and a walk around. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 12:58:35 AM »
Kevin, as Keith suggests, a rule of thumb with Monaco rigs that have slide-outs is “slides out first and in last”.  It’s awfully easy to set up camp by parking, setting the brake, turning off the engine, and staying in the drivers seat while using the handy air leveling control pad.  Getting out of the seat to put out the slides first seems to go against my laziness bone.  Fortunately my copilot usually lays into me upon such attempted errors.

I used to try checklists, but they seemed clumsy to someone whose been motorhoming since 1985.  I did make one when we first went to diesel in ‘06, based partially on experience with the gas rig and a lot on what the “walk-through” coach taught us at Beaver Coach, an endeavor I videoed.  But within a short time I got lazy again and did without it.  But for someone new to the diesel and/or motorcoach game, a checklist is a good idea;  so take Fred’s Google advice, keeping in mind that rig types have differences and you want to find a “layperson’s” simple-to-understand list that’s fully pertinent to your coach.

Probably the most beneficial thing that you can do is sign up for a Beaver rally as soon as possible.  There you will meet friendly folks that can answer all your questions and proffer the best first hand, and hands-on, advice you could hope for.

Welcome to the lodge!

-Joel

Mosquito Creek, Banff-Jasper Highway, Alberta
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Laurence Mitchell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 07:50:40 PM »
Like Fred used hair clip on the steering wheel we used slap bracelets on the steering wheel that we purchased through Amazon.  Works great for us and you can custom make them for yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/DEEBF-Rainbow-Silicone-Bracelets-Favors/dp/B07F9PCMDY/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=plain+slap+bracelets&qid=1619894880&sr=8-10
45' 2007 Marquis - Moonstone C15 Cat
2018-2020 40' 2000 Marquis - Tourmaline

rkevincarson

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 04:20:13 AM »
Thanks all...  I appreciate the advice.  Pilots love checklists.  So, I have dug into the manuals and just jotting down the pertinent items that I want to make sure are correct. 

Again, thanks.  Kevin

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 08:48:15 PM »
These may be of help.  They were offered in today’s newsletter from Henderson’s Line-up, a BAC sponsor and the best place to have come to mind if you ever have chassis-related issues:

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv-checklists-printable/

and

https://www.amazon.com/Checklist-Manifesto-How-Things-Right/dp/0312430000/ref=nodl_

Joel

You can see the May SuperSteer Newsletter from Henderson’s here and probably sign up to receive monthly emailed issues:  https://supersteerparts.com/may-newsletter

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat