Author Topic: Water Leak  (Read 2096 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Water Leak
« on: May 05, 2021, 03:04:23 PM »
We took the coach to Indiana last week where we had some pretty hard rain. This has never happened before but the driver side window had wet spots all the way across the bottom of it. The next days was dry so I applied some pro flex sealant on it all the way across the bottom of the window and along the top edge of the rail. I thought that would stop it but it rained again a few days later and the water reappeared. What am I missing here? We are back home now and parked under an RV shelter, so now the rain won’t affect it. But I need to get it fixed before heading out to the rally at Amana in a few weeks. Any advice is appreciated.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Water Leak
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 03:08:40 PM »
Our 'windshield leak" was fixed when BCS replaced and re caulked the clearance lights on the front cap.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 04:16:59 PM »
Our 'windshield leak" was fixed when BCS replaced and re caulked the clearance lights on the front cap.

Thanks for the reply, but this leak is under the driver side window and the worst appears to be the small sliding window. I checked the weep holes by pouring water into the rail and water does pour out of them. I’m thinking though that there ought to be more water pouring out of those weep holes than what I see coming out from pouring a full glass of water. Is it possible they might be clogged and if so how do you get them unclogged?
Fred & Cindy

George H. Wall

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 04:42:35 PM »
I had to replace the seal on the sliding part of the window. Same occurance with me!! 

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 05:13:13 PM »
My 'early morning eyes' changed side window into windshield. Oops!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 06:44:47 PM »
Bill
I fought with a leak at my driver side window and finally found that the vertical transition molding between the front cap and the side wall above the window.
The only real way to seal that seam is to remove the screws and the molding piece to expose the seam mine was about a 1/4" gap which had a factory applied mastic (I think Dicor non sagging sealant ) which had dried out and cracked open in places leaving a1/4 gap .
Interesting that molding had been sealed to the wall and cap with silicone which only channeled the water from the roof into the end of the molding at the top running it right down along that open seam where it entered the wall and the coach.

If you find the seam seal bad you may want to do all four corners mine where all bad I think it's just an age thing with the original sealant.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 01:10:13 AM »
I also had a leak at the vertical seam over the drivers window.  Initially I put a piece of duct tape over the seam/trim piece and it stopped the leak.  I then went back and sealed it properly.  It took me a while to find it, but I have been using duct tape over suspected leak areas ever since.  It really is a time saver instead of resealing everything and hoping you got it right.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 02:03:14 AM »
Bill,
Leak could also be on the sides of the window allowing water to run down and out bottom of window. When window is installed they place a flexible caulk strip (designed for window mounting) around the window mating surface before mounting it. This may be dried out or missing in some areas. it should be available at CW or on Amazon. That said I'd verify the small window joints before removing the window.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 01:21:40 PM »
I had to replace the seal on the sliding part of the window. Same occurance with me!!

This is what I will try first. I have already removed the seal and ordered it from BCS. Thanks!
Fred & Cindy