Author Topic: Batteries shunts on while connected to 120v shore power?  (Read 1619 times)

rkevincarson

Batteries shunts on while connected to 120v shore power?
« on: May 05, 2021, 05:43:22 AM »
Sorry if this has been asked and answered.  I did try to search but found a couple of different answers.  When storing the coach for a few weeks or more, I had read the only way the batteries would charge (both coach and chassis) was via the solar panels with the shunts in the off position.  Then I also read (I think) that the inverter was on the hot bus for charging the batteries when connected to a 120v 15a shore power and the shunts off. 

My question is; if I have the coach shore power on 4-6 hours a day at 15a will that be enough to keep the batteries charged with what little draw there is with the shunts left on for both sets of batteries?

Appreciate your patience with the new guy.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Batteries shunts on while connected to 120v shore power?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 01:01:55 PM »
Kevin
If what you mean by ( shunts) is the main battery shut offs switches.
Then yes if you leave the coach on shore power ( even with only 15 AMP service) the inverters charger with maintain the coach battery bank and the big boy solenoid in conjunction with the B.I.R.D. controller with combine the chassis batteries and keep them maintained as well.

Just turn off all the 120 volt loads ( hot water element. A/Cs etc) and make sure the charger function is turned on in the inverter and you should be good.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

rkevincarson

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 01:29:20 PM »
Just to be sure, the only way, other than solar, to charge the batteries with shore power is to have both battery switches on, correct?

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 01:40:55 PM »
Correct
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 05:11:56 PM »
On our coach, the inverter/battery charger is connected directly to the coach batteries, bypassing the battery disconnect switch. The position of the switch (on or off) has no effect on battery charging. When you are plugged into shore power, or if the generator is running, your inverter/charger should be charging your batteries. If not, make sure the charge function is not turned off in the inverter remote panel.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 05:52:21 PM »
I should look before I leap: To correct; The gen and engine alternator can charge the house batteries only if the house battery disconnect switch is closed (on). The solar and/or the inverter/charger are connected directly to the batteries and will charge them if power (sunlight or shore power) is available. Nice to have a wiring diagram to look at rather than depend on my memory!!
525 hp C13

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 06:04:43 PM »
And, Interestingly, in order for the chassis batteries to be charged from any source, the chassis battery disconnect switch must be closed (on). My wiring diagram doesn't show, but maybe someone knows if the engine ECM is always connected to the chassis batteries (i.e., ahead of the chassis disconnect switch)??
525 hp C13

rkevincarson

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 01:02:08 AM »
After several configurations and with the battery switches on and off, it appears that the inverter is connected to the batteries and when power is detected, it does charge the coach batteries regardless of the switch position.  It does appear that the chassis batteries are being maintained too.