Author Topic: Fridge Replacement  (Read 9927 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Fridge Replacement
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 06:25:06 PM »
Jerry, Heater register is just below pot drawers. I removed the pot drawers and made a new cabinet bottom out of 3/4 ply. The ply bottom sits just above the top of the heater register. The cabinet stiles are joined with pocket screws, so it makes it easy to reconfigure the cabinets.
You will enjoy your new fridge! good luck.
Problem is I'm not very handy with wood or greasy stuff.  My expertise, if you can call it that, after 20 years as a electronics tech in the Navy is clean electronic stuff!  I will have to count on the installer for that or get it done once I get back home in November.  I'll be happy with a happy wife!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 06:33:46 PM »
Jerry, We had to have the right side passenger window replaced due to vandalism. If I remember right, its 30" high, not sure what the rough opening is. Our 17 cu ft fridge fit thru the front door once we removed the fridge doors, no need to remove the window.  On our coach, a 21 or 22 cu ft fridge would not fit, so that's why we went with the 17 cu ft. At over 35" deep, your fridge might block the hallway leading to the rear of your coach. I would check all dimensions carefully, like fridge door clearance, etc. Good luck!
I will probably have to take the doors and hinges off the new fridge.  I got the fridge with the closest dimensions to the rf 18.  Depth and height should be fine as long as I can squeeze 29.75 inches through the door or window I'll be happy.  If we have to suck it up to get to the bedroom maybe it will motivate me to lose weight!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 06:45:35 PM »
Jerry, Heater register is just below pot drawers. I removed the pot drawers and made a new cabinet bottom out of 3/4 ply. The ply bottom sits just above the top of the heater register. The cabinet stiles are joined with pocket screws, so it makes it easy to reconfigure the cabinets.

Here's a pic of the new floor for our RF18 after removing the drawers.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 07:00:54 PM »
Stan, Looks similar to ours once I put in the new floor. No more drawers, but heater register and CO detector still there. I should have said rails, not stiles are joined with pocket screws. Like your photo shows, Beaver put in stiffing webs (vertical ply braces) mid-depth on both cabinet walls, nice touch. I covered both with some split foam pipe insulation. Our fridge fit between the braces with just a bit of clearance. I had to re locate the fridge and Ice maker 120v receptacles, re locate and replace the ice maker water line, remove and cap off the Propane copper tubing and put in a pipe plug in the gas pipe behind the cover in the lower compartment. I removed the rail and the top of the fridge cabinet and made a new one giving me an inch or so clearance at the top of the fridge. Then I worked on making the fridge access door insulated and (hopefully) air tight.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 08:31:00 PM »
Stan, Looks similar to ours once I put in the new floor. No more drawers, but heater register and CO detector still there. I should have said rails, not stiles are joined with pocket screws. Like your photo shows, Beaver put in stiffing webs (vertical ply braces) mid-depth on both cabinet walls, nice touch. I covered both with some split foam pipe insulation. Our fridge fit between the braces with just a bit of clearance. I had to re locate the fridge and Ice maker 120v receptacles, re locate and replace the ice maker water line, remove and cap off the Propane copper tubing and put in a pipe plug in the gas pipe behind the cover in the lower compartment. I removed the rail and the top of the fridge cabinet and made a new one giving me an inch or so clearance at the top of the fridge. Then I worked on making the fridge access door insulated and (hopefully) air tight.

Fit like a glove. I also insulated and made the access door air tight. Had to move power lines, too, but left the ice maker outlet right on the back. I used it to plug in the refrigerator, because that line was already powered by the inverter. Don't forget to get a "Fridge Fixer". Awesome!
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 08:55:34 PM »
Yes, you may have to shed some weight, Jerry.  Your Model is 6” deeper than Bill’s.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 09:01:29 PM »
Ours is just like Stan's photo shows, its right next to the pocket door/hallway, so clearance can be a bit of an issue. We did get a fridge fixer and while pricey, it does the job without bungees, rope, pipe clamps or duct tape!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2021, 02:27:07 AM »

Here's a pic of the new floor for our RF18 after removing the drawers.
Yup, looks pretty much the way ours did. I had them route the electrical receptacle I under the fridge inside. I’ll have to pretty it up next winter but it will work for now.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH
The following users thanked this post: Christian Fish

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2021, 02:42:25 AM »
Yes, you may have to shed some weight, Jerry.  Your Model is 6” deeper than Bill’s.
Although I could probably stand to lose a few pounds, wife and I can get by just fine.  You're right though, it does stick out about 6 inches past the wall.  It was what I could find though.  It was tight but we got it in the window after doors were removed.  I didn't have the patience to look all over a strange city for a fridge that fits.  It is what it is!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks, Bill Lampkin