Author Topic: Black and grey tank dump valves  (Read 2820 times)

Scott Hinote

• BAC Member
  • 727-744-5531
Black and grey tank dump valves
« on: May 10, 2021, 01:11:54 AM »
Hi everyone we are on our first long trip after buying our 2000 Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga. First stop tonight and as I was connecting everything for our set up . As I was trying too connect the hose to the sewage, when I removed the protective cover, all kinds of sewage poured out, I had the hose there and sewage was going everywhere . The dang valves are leaking . Well I can fix and replace valves if I can get to them ? I’m not sure how many of you have tried to do this repair but looking at the system , it’s a sealed system , I’m trying too describe the valves for the kitchen sink bathroom and where you can fill your fresh water tank . There is no way to get to those valves to replace them . Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated , I can’t go into a campground and put sewage on the ground and all over me . Is this something I can do or who can ? Thanks again for all your help .
C.Scott Hinote
2000 Patriot
CAT 3126B  330hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Black and grey tank dump valves
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 01:28:25 AM »
Our coach is a 2004 and has an outdoor water bay where there is a freshwater manifold, a faucet, a freshwater tank fill hose, black/gray tank dump valve switches, etc.  The access door for this water bay is the first basement door fore of the streetside rear tires.  Does this sound similar to your RV?

If so, then the stainless steel plate that houses the manifold valves, etc. needs to have its screws removed so it can be tipped out for access to the dump valves behind the stainless plate and near the black/gray tanks.  I have replaced both valves on our RV.  Our two dump valves are electric - yours may be manual - with their switches located on the stainless steel plate...  and it's a PITA to change these valves, I would add.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 01:31:53 AM »
Scott you can order new valves on amazon or go to a camper world they will be simple change outs Camco 39513 3" RV Waste Valve with Plastic Handle- Easily Replace Worn Or Damaged Waste Valves, Includes Gaskets and Installation Hardware $14.  they also have many designs available
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 02:03:35 AM »
Scott, if your compartment for your sewer is like the one I have attached the fix is to cut a pilot hole in the center and gradually expand it to accommodate access to your drain valves. Then make a plate to cover the access hole that can be removed in the future. This will eliminate pulling the whole panel off to get to your drain valves. We made this modification on our 97 Patriot with a similar set up.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

George Harwell

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 12:33:25 PM »
Scott,  been down that road many times with my 18 year old coach. Call or text me at 405 642 0389  for photos I  have. Hard to post them here but I can text them to you.  I remove the  entire panel to gain access to the system.  Some  tips you may find helpful. Start with a thorough drain and flush.  Then raise the drivers side of the coach slightly to ensure any remaining liquid  flows toward the passenger side. Put some rags under the  valves and go to work. Believe me, you will learn a lot about your water system.  Good luck.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 03:34:03 PM »
Scott
Depending on how long your current trip is going to be you may want to pick up an add on bayonet valve which goes on where your drain cap attaches requiring no tools and allows you to control the drain so you can get the hose on with out that leakage getting you .
This might make the reset of your trip much easier.

https://www.campingworld.com/twist-on-valve-27868.html?cgid=sewer-adapters-valves-fittings

Unfortunately the only way to get to the valves to replace them is to remove the front of the wet wall with all of the valves .
It not a hard job but it's pretty involved .
As stated above many of us have modified the wet wall to make access easier

Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 03:53:44 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 09:04:20 PM »
  Scott,
 If you are in transit and do not want to tackle the replacement of your dump valves, then I agree with Eric and purchase an effluent valve to temporarily be compliant with sewage laws. It is not that difficult to remove the water bay access wall panel. You may have to prop up the compartment door and remove the rear gas strut to get the panel out of the opening. If you have to remove any hoses, I suggest to label them with masking tape and then take a picture with your phone before removing them. Welcome to the adventure. Here is a picture of my valve. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Scott Hinote

• BAC Member
  • 727-744-5531
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 04:20:09 PM »
Yes Fred I’m going to be looking for that valve in the picture . Right now there isn’t anywhere for us to go and buy it .
C.Scott Hinote
2000 Patriot
CAT 3126B  330hp

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 03:31:28 PM »
Hi everyone we are on our first long trip after buying our 2000 Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga. First stop tonight and as I was connecting everything for our set up . As I was trying too connect the hose to the sewage, when I removed the protective cover, all kinds of sewage poured out, I had the hose there and sewage was going everywhere . The dang valves are leaking .

I've had that happen too. Sometimes the valves don't seal/close completely. I leave the cap off the Y fitting (the fitting you connect the drain hose to) so if anything seeps it just drips to the ground.