Author Topic: Roof and TV Antenna  (Read 1988 times)

Jerry Pattison

Roof and TV Antenna
« on: May 10, 2021, 04:37:02 AM »
I have finally found a replacement for the useless Winegard satellite antenna system on the roof of my 1998 Marquis.  The replacement is a King Tailgater, and using it on a stool outside the coach it works great and fast!!!   I now need to mount it on the roof of my coach as soon as I can remove the garbage up there now.  I need to know how far down into the roof can I drive a screw?  I might get a clue when I remove the winegard, but could surely use some of your cumulative knowledge!  Any help will be appreciated.

I hope all y'all are getting along just fine and are staying healthy.  We had wished we could hook up with you in Amana, but it was not to be.

Blessings!!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Roof and TV Antenna
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 02:01:23 PM »
   Hi Jerry,
When you remove the existing satellite system you will find that the screws are approximately 1 to 1 1/4" long. They are difficult to reuse unless you clean all the Dicor sealant off the heads. Clean off the butyl tacky sealant with denatured alcohol and apply new butyl tape to the satellite mounting feet then reseal with Dicor non-leveling sealant. Follow the existing routing of the coax cables thru the opening in the roof and then reseal. Not sure which provider you are going with, hopefully it is Dish because they are familiar with that Dome system if you need assistance. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 07:34:07 PM »
Fred, that is exactly the info I need!!  Thank you very much!  And, yes, it is Dish!  That little antenna seems to work great!  Thanks again!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 10:17:44 PM »
Not that I’m thinking of going satellite, but out of curiosity, Fred, are the latest dome models less susceptible to rain wettened dome surface signal interference?  That used to be an issue oft complained about, and people were tending toward folding open dish units.   I recall some had to regularly coat their domes with silicone or wax to make water bead up and roll off.

Our coach came with a Kingdome In-motion with Direct-TV, but we never found our travels so boring as to make the cost of a subscription worthwhile.  Aside from my checking out DirecTV’s intro cast once or twice long ago,  it’s never been used.  The fact that it zeroed in on its own to the satellites was cool.  Parked in one place for months, like snow-birding away from antenna broadcast range, things might be different, and we could perhaps justify fees. 

Parked here by the house, I’ve considered going to a modern dish (the original but unused one was defunct years ago and won’t even provide DirectTV’s old intro), getting Dish Pay as You Go, and running a coax from the Coach to the nearby cable TV input box on the garage.  So far, however, there’s enough broadcast and wi-fi streaming to more than eat up our already too extensive boob toob time.

That doesn’t dissuade me from being curious.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 02:29:40 PM »
  Hi Joel,
 With technology changing at break neck speed, it is difficult at best to answer your curiosity. Here is my understanding as of current mobile dishes. Winegards roadtrip is the easiest to install and set-up. The "Wally" will marry the receiver and dish together so all you have to do is call Dish and activate the reciever and choose the package you like. Once you download the "mydish" app, you can wake up a receiver and control your account. Another big advantage is you can receive local channels when you travel. If you travel north or south from home you will stay in your "spot beam" and get your home local channels. The beam is only a couple hundred miles wide so if too far east or west, you call and give them the zip code you are in and they change you to those local channels.
    Thunder storms are the only interruption in receiving a signal but not wet domes anymore. Snow could be an issue but Beaver owners are to smart to be in that situation. 19% of Dish customers own RV's that is why Dish pays attention to them. Directv (AT&T) will not talk to you if you tell them you are in an RV. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 04:14:19 PM »
I will add.... Dish has not broadcast fox sports Midwest over the past 3 years due to a contract issue. So.... I missed out on a lot of Cardinal baseball games until I switched to Direct TV which works well in our coach. Also the Dish Wally does not record while the Direct TV receiver does. Hope this helps!
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 10:12:55 PM »
https://www.campingworld.com/dish-dvr-upgrade-86926.html

We’ve encountered snow, and some ice, a few times in the coach.  Usually it’s a situation where it caught up with us and was unavoidable.  But the coach amazed me how well it dealt with it, both on the highways and for living in it while awaiting a melt.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat