General Boards > General Discussion

Extended service plans

<< < (2/2)

George Frudakis:
When I purchase my marquis I hand a warranty policy placed on her from the dealer. That cost was 7k for two years. In those two years, I had two new ac units, a new 2000 magnum inverter, new transmission, two new fantastic fans, and a new front ace. Total repairs over 22k.
Third and fourth-year policy. new policy cost 4k(same benefits but without dealer upcharge). a new generator control board, new front ace compressor, new ac dryer, new fantastic fan, repair water drain from both AC units. total paid out 8k. And I still have 1 1/2 to go on this policy. The total of both policies cost 11k, so far policy paid out over 30k.
My point is, take your coach to a reputable dealer that knows how to work with the warranty company. Our coach will have problems and the question you should ask pay now or pay more later. I would rather pay now upfront than being stranded on the road and may not have the funds available when disaster strikes. Yes, I know that warranty policy may just pay some of the invoices and may delete some of the required work needed. Again read your policy and make the decision on what is best for you. At the end of the second policy, knowing most of the major items are new, I may consider not renewing my policy. I have a 20-year-old coach and will see what the perium will be before making the decision. I also know getting a policy on my coach is very difficult but because I have a policy in place it will  be easier.

Jerry Dildine:
I'll try to keep my 2-cents short.  We have a 2007 Patriot Thunder, which we love (or maybe love/hate).  We bought in Dec 2020 and purchased a "top-of-the-line" extended warranty from Good Sams.  As perhaps we expected, we have put between $10k-$20k in repairs into the Beaver to attempt to make it ours.  We are spending about $4k-$5k on the Good Sams.  In our most expensive repair, (our failed obsolete toilet),  the replacement was pricey, and Good Sams provided only a small fraction of coverage.  In our case, it was the obsolescence which got us.  The toilet model from our coach had to be replaced, but the old model doesnt exist.  Good Sams claims adjuster found places which stated that they sold the old toilet parts (but really didn't have any in stock), so Geod Sams adjuster said we could only have funds for the old-and-unavailable parts.  The replacement toilet was quite a bit more than the old parts.  In addition to the deductible, we lost ~$2500.   There is more to the story, but in my opinion GS handled this in a very poor fashion.  Its clear GS is not seriously in the service business, I would definitely not recommend them to anyone.

Lee Welbanks:
Some folks have good service and some don't from warranties. A warranty company will use every trick and loop hole in the book to not pay a service request. Most of these warranties are not worth the paper it is written on. Go and talk to a few Rv repair shops and ask them how they like dealing with warranty companies.
Right after we bought our 06 PT the circuit board on out toilet took a dump, which if you could get one was $600 for a out of date toilet so I bought a new one for $1500 if I remember correctly.

Chuck Jackson:
I’m another one in favor of the extended warranties. I’ve had two and in both cases, they’ve more than paid for themselves. They aren’t perfect but when I can pay out far less for the warranty than I would have  for repairs, I consider it a good investment. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again…I envy you guys that don’t need the warranty!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version