Author Topic: Extended service plans  (Read 4507 times)

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
Extended service plans
« on: May 11, 2021, 06:26:41 AM »
I currently have an Extended Warrantee plan when I purchased my Patroit Thunder, it has one more year for coverage.  I have received a flyer from Good Sam about their Extended Services Plan and was asking if anyone has this plan, the quality of it also any other suggestions for Extended Service plans that I might look at prior to my current one running out.

I also want to THANK the powers to be for providing tis GREAT forum I have found it very helpful and educational in the past.  Please keep this great service going.

Rocky Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45'
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Extended service plans
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 04:52:44 PM »
All service plans come down to one thing-exclusions. You have to carefully read the whole policy and understand all the items that may be excluded. I have no experience with Good Sam contracts. One thing that was in our contract was that they could decide what labor rate they will pay. This little item meant that on any claim we had, they wound up paying about 1/2 the labor rate charged by the shop. So we had to take that hit. Still, I'm glad we had the policy, as it covered the big things (engine, tranny, etc) that we never could afford to repair on our own.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Jim Murray

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 01:44:33 PM »
Gentlemen may I offer my two cents into this extended warranty may people buy is not worth
the money you pay out with little return. Good example Diesel engines , past year been involved
8 cases of service shops telling your engine been dusted. This term meaning your engine has
pulled lot of dirt /dust into the intake of engine meaning the engine rings and cylinders been destroyed
Via dirt/dust. Your warranty rep comes to shop and inform customer there insurance policy does not pay for engines being dusted. Yes has happened several times term warranty does not cover. The only
problem after advising owner to take engine oil sample and sample results indicated there nothing
out of place ( engine is ok ). Now you are finding a service shop creating problem that is not present
with engine. The warranty Rep.was clueless about problem and listened 100 % service shop findings.
Next motorhome owner had electrical fire in engine that generated lot of damage. Was pulled into my
shop for repair and assessment. In addition on fire damage pulled engine oil sample of which results
came back damage inside engine meant a complete tear down of engine also. Meeting with owner
and warranty Rep on damage assessment, the warranty company would only pay for wiring on the
outside of the engine and nothing more. Electrical components such as engine ECM is not covered.
This story can keep going on and on. Yes you buy a warranty around $ 7,000 to $ 11,000. thinking
again peace on mind on the road. In closing maybe some extended warranty are fine but my suggestion read over your policy very carefully because I think there are worthless with all the fine
print. Within last two years been involved with many cases that warranty has been not accepted where
without question damage cost of out of pocket many thousands to owners. Dave Atherton Retired Cat
Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Jim Murray

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 03:16:59 PM »
We purchased an extended warranty when we purchased the coach in August 2012.  The warranty cost was $5,000 for a 4-year warranty.  Given that the warranty cost was only 3% of the coach cost, I figured why not?  Over the subsequent four years, we used the warranty a few times amounting to about $6,500 out-of-pocket to the warranty company.  The items replaced included one roof-top AC/heat pump, the inverter, several expensive parts on the Aquahot, and a few other small items.  We did not continue with another warranty after the expiration of the first one.

From reading opinions regarding warranties over the years, most of the opinions seemed to indicate to take the warranty cost and put it into a money market account instead and use the account to pay for repairs.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 05:12:18 PM »
   Having been on the other side, the success of your claim to the extended warranty is largely dependent on the presentation of the claim. If the RV repair shop understands the process, he can make a very well thought out claim. The very first thing you do is to treat your claim as a "deposition". They try and engage the repair facility in conversation in an attempt to gather information about the circumstance. Let your answers be yes or no and never speculate to the extended warranty company. The repair shop should have part numbers and prices available and reasonable labor times. Do not include collateral damage as this is a red flag to them and the policy clearly states that. As a policy holder of the contract, do not call the extended warranty company yourself as they record every word you speak in an attempt to use it against you. They are eager to take your money for the contract but reluctant to pay out claims. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 08:12:42 PM »
When I purchase my marquis I hand a warranty policy placed on her from the dealer. That cost was 7k for two years. In those two years, I had two new ac units, a new 2000 magnum inverter, new transmission, two new fantastic fans, and a new front ace. Total repairs over 22k.
Third and fourth-year policy. new policy cost 4k(same benefits but without dealer upcharge). a new generator control board, new front ace compressor, new ac dryer, new fantastic fan, repair water drain from both AC units. total paid out 8k. And I still have 1 1/2 to go on this policy. The total of both policies cost 11k, so far policy paid out over 30k.
My point is, take your coach to a reputable dealer that knows how to work with the warranty company. Our coach will have problems and the question you should ask pay now or pay more later. I would rather pay now upfront than being stranded on the road and may not have the funds available when disaster strikes. Yes, I know that warranty policy may just pay some of the invoices and may delete some of the required work needed. Again read your policy and make the decision on what is best for you. At the end of the second policy, knowing most of the major items are new, I may consider not renewing my policy. I have a 20-year-old coach and will see what the perium will be before making the decision. I also know getting a policy on my coach is very difficult but because I have a policy in place it will  be easier.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Jerry Dildine

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 11:45:13 PM »
I'll try to keep my 2-cents short.  We have a 2007 Patriot Thunder, which we love (or maybe love/hate).  We bought in Dec 2020 and purchased a "top-of-the-line" extended warranty from Good Sams.  As perhaps we expected, we have put between $10k-$20k in repairs into the Beaver to attempt to make it ours.  We are spending about $4k-$5k on the Good Sams.  In our most expensive repair, (our failed obsolete toilet),  the replacement was pricey, and Good Sams provided only a small fraction of coverage.  In our case, it was the obsolescence which got us.  The toilet model from our coach had to be replaced, but the old model doesnt exist.  Good Sams claims adjuster found places which stated that they sold the old toilet parts (but really didn't have any in stock), so Geod Sams adjuster said we could only have funds for the old-and-unavailable parts.  The replacement toilet was quite a bit more than the old parts.  In addition to the deductible, we lost ~$2500.   There is more to the story, but in my opinion GS handled this in a very poor fashion.  Its clear GS is not seriously in the service business, I would definitely not recommend them to anyone.
Jerry & Denise Dildine
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Clovis, CA
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 12:53:53 AM »
Some folks have good service and some don't from warranties. A warranty company will use every trick and loop hole in the book to not pay a service request. Most of these warranties are not worth the paper it is written on. Go and talk to a few Rv repair shops and ask them how they like dealing with warranty companies.
Right after we bought our 06 PT the circuit board on out toilet took a dump, which if you could get one was $600 for a out of date toilet so I bought a new one for $1500 if I remember correctly.

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 01:34:10 AM »
I’m another one in favor of the extended warranties. I’ve had two and in both cases, they’ve more than paid for themselves. They aren’t perfect but when I can pay out far less for the warranty than I would have  for repairs, I consider it a good investment. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again…I envy you guys that don’t need the warranty!
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold