Author Topic: check transmission dash light and trans selector is dark  (Read 1614 times)

David Stump

• BAC Member
check transmission dash light and trans selector is dark
« on: June 17, 2021, 11:40:38 PM »
My check transmission dash light is on the and shifter display is dark.  Shift buttons do nothing.  Anyone ever have this issue?  Have no idea where to start.  I have been prepping for a trip for this Sunday and have been moving the coach around with no issues.  Today I had to replace the Chassis batteries and after I started the coach to check I noticed the high idle switch would not engage...then I noticed the Check trans light and lack of display/function of shifter.  Could I have done some sort of damage during the battery change?
2006 Monteray Laguna. 
C9 400hp cat
Allison trans.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
2006 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: check transmission dash light and trans selector is dark
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 12:15:41 AM »
Did you take a picture of your battery cables before unhooking them and are you sure you replaced them exactly as they were before the battery change, included the small wires connected to the batteries?

Did you by chance place a battery in backwards and/or hook up/touch the cables backwards?

Years ago in my haste, I did the latter and blew fuses all over the coach.  The fuses I recall blowing were a generator fuse, a transmission fuse, a couple of Aladdin/Bose/Sirius Radio fuses, and a high amp blade fuse located over the coach battery bank.

The transmission fuse I blew was located just under the shift panel to the left side of the pilot's seat.  Under the shift panel in a 6"x8" clam-shell-looking black box, there are a couple of fuses.  With the starter key ON, the shift panel must be functional, i.e., showing a gear selection, and report an "N" neutral status to the transmission before the engine will be allowed to start.  After changing the one blown fuse in the black box, the shift panel was operational, reported the "N" neutral status, and the engine fired right up.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: David Stump

David Stump

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 12:30:25 AM »
Yes I did take pics and even drew a diagram of the two batteries and marked all cables.  I'm not a big believer in coincidences though, and it seems likely that the battery change lies at the bottom of the problem.  When I first attempted to start the engine after batteries were installed it wouldnt start.  turned out that they were not fully charged from the store.  I tried again after a half hour or so after they were on charge and the engine started normally.  Wonder if that may have done some damage or blown a fuse somewhere?
2006 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400hp

David Stump

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 03:56:01 AM »
Went back to the battery bay to double check the new battery install.  Turns out one of the small white wires that connects directly to one of the negative battery studs had a faulty crimped on connector.  I could actually tug the wire in and out of the connector slightly.  Put on a new connector and all is now trans. is operating correctly.  I had no idea the transmission has a direct connect to the battery!
2006 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 08:16:09 AM »
David, go to the base club website via the blue link on this page, upper right.  Log in, then under “Technical”, choose Coach Assist.  Scroll down to the “Wiring Diagrams” and under “Monterey Wiring Diagrams” choose the 2006 one.

On page 9, ABS/ATC wiring, you will find a “drain” wire off the ground post of the battery(s) icon that when followed to the right ultimately ends up at the Allison control unit.  I’m no automotive electrics or chassis expert, not by a long shot, but am willing to bet that’s your white wire.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: David Stump