Author Topic: Onan 6500 LP Won't Start  (Read 2529 times)

Malachi King

Onan 6500 LP Won't Start
« on: June 21, 2021, 02:58:46 AM »
Hello All,

In 5 days we are going on our first big trip in our new to us 96 Beaver Patriot Savanah. For two months I've been going through everything and doing maintenance. My wife has been practicing driving every weekend during these weeks and everything has been working great. Yesterday, My wife and I took it on a little 60 mile trip, for her last practice session, getting some last minute items, fueling it up, filling the LP tank, etc. Our Onan 6500 LP just started acting up. The generator was running for about two hours and then it started to cough and sputter here and there. Then it just died. I restarted it and it ran for a minute or so and died. I got on the net and found it may be the oil level. I'm ashamed to admit I was so focused on the drive train, suspension, and coach, I over looked at the generator. It was low on oil, so I topped it off. It started and ran for five minutes and died. I learned over filling it prevents it from running as well, so this morning, I took some more out. It ran for 40min and died. This afternoon I took a little more out and tried to start it and it just turns over and over. Tomorrow I will be calling some repair shops, but I'm not confident I will be able to get an appointment within our 5 day window. So, if any body has some advice, or information, I'm all ears. Thanks for your time.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Onan 6500 LP Won't Start
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 04:08:20 AM »
Malachi
Your gen set should be able to give you fault codes to help guide you to the fault and repair
I believe this manual will cover your model.
Check out page 51 trouble shooting.

Sorry I can't attach the file if you PM me your email address I'll email the manual .

Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:37:15 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Malachi King

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 06:51:02 AM »
Thanks so much Eric,

I don't see where the gen set can display codes of a blinking light. The start/stop button on the gen set is covered with a black rubber cover. There is no display window of any type on the face of the gen set. The start/stop button in the coach doesn't display any lights when the stop button is pushed. Also, I don't think the stop button acts as a prime, since LP is under pressure. But, I'm not sure.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 07:46:44 PM »
Malachi,
There is a light in the Start switch on the Gen Set itself. I just loaded the Operator Manual to Coach Assist. It is the last entry under Onan Generators. (HGJAA, HGJAB gen sets) See the Troubleshooting section for info on reading and deciphering codes.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Malachi King

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 05:32:28 AM »
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the tip. I took the serial number to the local Cummins shop and they said it's an older unit that doesn't have the code feature. They also said since it's an intermittent problem, I should leave it with them and they will try to get it to fail. But I got monkeying around with it before I sent it in.

I think I may be getting closer to the problem. I waited for the generator to die and immediately loosened the propane fuel line and there was no pressure. My first thought was it's the valve. But I read another post that said it should have a regulator. It doesn't. The fuel line runs directly into the second valve. I have two valves and the other has a regulator and runs the coach appliances. If I understood the other posting, it said the valve my fuel line is connected to is the liquid side and it should not be connected to it?

Thanks,

Malachi

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 12:46:52 AM »
Malachi,
I'm far from an expert on LPG genis but if it ran normally for a number of hours before acting up, I'd think the fuel hookup is correct. Per the manual the LPG units have a fuel filter. I'd change it out first. No telling how long it has been in service.
Steve
Steve

Malachi King

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 07:51:39 PM »
Thanks, Steve/Eric, for all your input. Sorry it took so long to replay. I took it into the Cummins dealer, and they had it for 8 months. I just got it back last month and have been sick to my stomach over the whole situation. It turns out it was the fuel regulator and fuel shutoff valve. $2500 and 8 months later it seems to be working. Well, plus $1600 in batteries. They left my batteries on, and window open, the whole time they had it. So, there was a thick layer of dirt everywhere, and some water damage. Also, my batteries are smoked. They also broke my entry door. They fixed the door but claim no responsibility for the rest.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 08:16:50 PM by Malachi King »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 11:43:42 PM »
Malachi, consider placing a review and/or rating in a couple of the Club’s sections found under the Home tab:   

“Suppliers Credits, Comments, Kudos (Members Only)
This is a members only board for comments about service work done, etc. that is not shown to the public”

and the Service Providers Guide, under the “Private Members Only” board.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 01:13:47 AM »
Malachi,
Just post it to the Suppliers/Kudos board. I'll then add it to the Service Providers list with the appropriate rating.
Thx, Steve
Steve
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley