Author Topic: Mystery Driver's Reading Lights  (Read 1475 times)

Joe DeWeese

Mystery Driver's Reading Lights
« on: July 01, 2021, 02:21:52 AM »
In our 2006 Monterey, there are a pair of reading lights above the driver's chair.  I have two questions on the operation of these lights. 
1) Where are the controls to turn these lights on and off.  I have searched everywhere around the drivers position and cannot find a switch.  I have also tried other controls around the driver's chair but none will turn them on or off.
2)  Are these lights actuated by some other means?  On numerous occasions they come on by themselves and some time later turn themselves off.  We have gone to bed and they were off and then come back up front to find them on but then back off when we get up in the morning.
It's almost as if the coach is possessed. :D

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Mystery Driver's Reading Lights
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 02:33:45 AM »
Joe, I think they work like the courtesy lights in a car.  The headlight switch turned fully counterclockwise and back turns the “reading” lamps on and off.  Personally I prefer the so-called “map” lights when on the road, but occasionally the overhead halogens are useful.

They may come on and off on their own if the headlight switch is in the almost extreme position, and ambient temperatures change overnight enough to affect its sensitivity.  In 2012 Nebraska extreme heat and humidity we’ve had the ignition switch act up and the original Sharp 32” front TV go on all by itself. 
Joel
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 02:40:31 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

Re: Mystery Driver's Reading Lights
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 02:48:22 AM »
Joe, As I was reading your post I was laughing to myself, had the same problem, we were down in Galveston Tx and my grandson was farting around hitting switches and those light got turned on, we searched hi and low to turn them off. Finally out of WHF we'll try the headlight switch, I thing the grandson is still laughing about that one.