Author Topic: Generator won't run with engine running  (Read 2556 times)

Bruce Hoglander

Generator won't run with engine running
« on: June 26, 2021, 02:45:45 AM »
My Onan 8kw runs great and powers everything when coach is parked or even plugged in to shore power, however if the engine is running it will start up but then die as soon as the transfer switch kicks in.  Also dies if it is running and you start the engine. I am leaving on a month long trip on Monday and need to get it fixed ASAP. Anyone else had this problem or have an idea? 

jeffprupis

Re: Generator won't run with engine running
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 08:43:14 PM »
We have same genny and coach ('05 VenturaII) and problem. This was passed to me from someone on the forum years ago. When you start the genny (after the coach is running), put a load on it (I use the Block Heater, draws 9 amps or AC or AH electric) Then it will run with the engine on. This works in our situation. It has something to do with the alternator conflicting with the genny. When our alternator went out, the genny AND the coach ran together fine, so I know this is likely to be true.

Bruce Hoglander

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 01:44:44 AM »
Hi Jeff Thank you I will definitely try that in the morning. That will be great if it works because I have a month long trip starting Monday  out of Atlanta  so I was planning on running the house AC in the middle of the days on the road.

FYI   I also read in a forum that for a lot of coaches with the xantrex inverter/charger we have, that there is a software update that will fix the problem and that is why later coaches do not have that problem.
Thanks again I'll post how it works out.

jeffprupis

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 12:51:28 PM »
I once asked the Xantrex rep at an FMCA event if there was an update and he said no. If you find out there is one please post or email me rvmail2016@gmail.com. Happy travels.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 02:55:36 PM »
    Bruce,
  The generator is also 12volt source sensitive. If it sees too big a voltage drop (while running) and you start the engine with weak chassis batteries, the gen will shut down. To prove if that is the case, with the gen running hold down the battery boost switch while starting the engine and the gen will keep running. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bruce Hoglander

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 04:05:05 AM »
Thanks for your help with work arounds for keeping the generator running while the engine was running. It was a great help traveling in the heat the last few months as we could use the Air Conditioning on the road! Here is an update on the generator  situation. I could not find anything out about a software  update and  this week  I replaced the RS2000 inverter with a Xantrex Freedom SW3012 inverter. It also required an updated system control panel. It was about an hour and a half job and I was able to use all of the existing wiring. I was told that it could use the same AGS module but it turns out I needed to order an updated AGS as well. Once I install that I will post if it also solved the problem of the generator not wanting to run with the engine running.  BTW I haven't looked yet but does anyone happen to know where the AGS was mounted in a 2005 Monterey? FYI the sales were pretty good and the upgrade to 3000 watts  and all new components cost about $2100 with free shipping to my home. I bought it all from Xantrex Factory Outlet Store online and had in in less than a week. It is charging and inverting fine I just want to install new AGS before I try the generator.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 07:39:48 PM »
Bruce, I just replaced my Xantrex RV 2812 modified sine wave inverter with a new pure sine wave SW 2012, just like your 3012 but for the extra amps. Anyway, I learned a couple of things:  1} the new inverter does not have a built in AGS like my old inverter did. The old inverter had two wiring terminal strips; one for 120v and one for the (3 I think) 12v wires for the internal AGS. So I bought the AGS module and installed it, but have not yet hooked it up. I tested the start, run stop wires I removed from the old inverter and they work fine. The AGS instructions say I need (optional) a gen run signal (from the hour meter) and I haven't run that new wire pair from the front run bay to the new AGS module. But I have the AGS module plugged into the Xanbus network and its green light is on. 2.) the old inverter had an internal shunt that allowed the inverter remote to display 'amp hours remaining' or some such battery capacity data. The new inverter has no internal shunt, so the new remote display will only tell you battery volts, not amp hours remaining. Disappointing that the new version of a product has less capability than the old version! The new inverter works great save for its limitations.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bruce Hoglander

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 03:37:06 AM »
I went to the coach today to add the AGS and am embarrassed that I asked for location without looking! I opened the front electrical bay and there it was staring at me with light on! Anyway easy install and ran and tested coach . The upgrade to new series Xantrex inverter from RS2000 was all plug and play and easy ...  just heavy! It solved the problem off the generator not running with the engine running without having to put a load on. The only thing is when you upgrade to the new SW series inverter you have to also upgrade the System Control Panel and AGS. They look exactly like the old units but have new guts and some new features too!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 11:57:53 AM »
Bruce, I just replaced my Xantrex RV 2812 modified sine wave inverter with a new pure sine wave SW 2012, just like your 3012 but for the extra amps.

the AGS module plugged into the Xanbus network and its green light is on. 2.) the old inverter had an internal shunt that allowed the inverter remote to display 'amp hours remaining' or some such battery capacity data. The new inverter has no internal shunt, so the new remote display will only tell you battery volts, not amp hours remaining. Disappointing that the new version of a product has less capability than the old version! The new inverter works great save for its limitations.

Bill, this is a project I may be doing in the near future. Is swapping the old Xantrex RV2512 to a new Xantrex pure sine wave inverter (Freedom SW3012) pretty much plug and play? Do the battery cables fit the new unit without modification? And does the control panel just plug into the existing RJ9(telephone cord) cable?
I would need to buy the Invertor, Control panel, and AGS module - is that everything?
Thanks

Bruce Hoglander

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 01:52:42 PM »
Mike - For reference the easy plug and play I experienced was for replacing a Xantrex RS 2000 not the RV2512. Also Xantrex does make the adapter plugs that allow you to use the existing wiring with the phone jacks , so make sure that you buy them for each device. If you don't use AGS  it is an easy installation but note what Bill says about the AGS.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 02:16:41 PM »
Thanks Bruce.
What is the cable adapter you mentioned? Is that just something that plugs into the existing phone cable on one end and the new control panel on the other end? Is this adapter sold by Xantrex?

I do have AGS but I'm not concerned about running a wire from the AGS module to the Inverter along the frame - it's just running a wire internally in the Coach (like to the Inverter Control Panel location) that would be hard.

PS Sorry to hijack the thread.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 03:08:16 PM »
Inverter is mounted upside down between the frame rails, weighs about 55#. I bpught a small tranny jack to lift into place. Use old inverter as template to drill two new holes in new inverter mounting flange. Then it bolts into place. You should have enough DC and AC wire, but boy did I struggle getting the 10ga AC wire under the AC terminals in the new inverter. Unless you  install the new AgS module, you will have three DC wires to contend with (gen stop, run, start). New System Control Panel (SCP) is larger than old panel so I cut a new back panel for it to fit into. I think it was Fred who said the Xantrex manuals (you will wind up with several) takes some patient reading to understand.

https://www.xantrex.com/power-products/power-accessories/Freedom_SW_Telephone_Network_Cable_Adapter.aspx

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/transmission-jacks/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Bruce Hoglander

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 04:47:37 AM »
Hi Mike:

The adapter plug is called "Xantrex Telephone To Network Cable Adapter" that converts the phone style wiring and connector to the network style used by Xantrex now. That way you can use existing wiring to the control panel. They sell it  direct from Xantrex or on Amazon and eBay