Author Topic: HWH 2000 system not working  (Read 19096 times)

Gerald Farris

Re: HWH 2000 system not working
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 05:51:58 PM »
Jeff,
I would not be overly concerned if adequate caution is taken.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »
Jeff,

The drive shaft angle is certainly no concern. The wheel well clearance is the issue that could cause some damage to the coach. If at the present ride height the front wheel clearance is adequate then as Gerald notes, proceed with caution. A couple of measurements of tire clearance at the present ride height and a check along the way to see if you are holding adequate clearences may be wise.

Later Ed

Jeff Watt

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 08:31:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I think there is clearance at the front wheel wells, certainly on the left and probably on the right.  The right rear is sitting down but not touching anything that I can see.

I guess I'll proceed with caution.

Need to get it repaired so we can use the thing - bought and I think I have driven it 30 miles since purchase.

This forum is a very useful tool for a newbie.

Jeff

Edward Buker

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 10:54:41 PM »
Jeff,

It is while turning, that you may have tires contact the wheel wells, if the coach is low. The reference measurements can be taken with the wheels straight from the top of the tire to the top of the wheel well to see if anything is changing while you are traveling the short distance you plan on.  Before you start out, you might have someone turn the wheel slowly and cautiously while you check, and be sure that you have wheel well clearance lock to lock, with the current ride height.  If not, you still may be able to travel cautiously knowing the limitations you need to take into account.  Hope this helps.

Later Ed

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 11:01:13 PM »
You may also find after driving a few blocks, the ride height returns to closer to the correct height.

Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 11:56:08 PM »
I have to agree with the Guys, Jeff, and bolster their input.  Your clearances are probably adequate if you proceed slowly over any significant bumps and take entrance curbs, etc., at an angle.  I've traveled with dumped air before, but only slowly in a straight line on level asphalt for 50 ft. to clear some limbs;  you couldn't have paid me enough to turn the wheel and take out a fender.  

My first thoughts were that in your situation I'd have someone turn the steering wheel while I checked my front tire clearance to the fender skirts, as Ed mentioned.  That's where you are at a fair amount of risk - esp. going over a bump or curb rise while turning.  The standard travel mode airbag bracket distance for my Monterey is 10" all around.  Your coach is a whole different animal, Jeff, but I wouldn't think your worst case 8" rear to be a bad number, as long as you proceed with the caution you intend, and esp. on turns.  But 9.5" up front right would be absolutely no problem for me, and probably not your rig either.  In fact, the right rear seems to be the real culprit, causing the prying up of the left front;  the other bags are very likely near normal parameters.

The driveline angle is an issue only if the coach was too high, and Monaco probably put restrictive straps in to prevent that anyway.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeff Watt

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 08:13:30 PM »
Drove to the service center today - no problems. Just took it slow. Now I just wait to find out what the problem is going to be.

Coincidentally about 1/2 hour after I dropped it off, I received an email from a person at HWH. I provided it info from Beaver Coach Sales to the Service Manager.

Thanks for the advice and I'll post what the outcome turns out to be.

Jeff

Jeff Watt

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »
So the diagnosis is I need a new control box. Good times :(

Anyhow, in this age of lightning fast information, the word is it may take 2 weeks to come from Moscow, Iowa to Manitoba; you'd think it could be here from Moscow, Russia in two weeks. I think there are people out there that could drive it between the two locations in a matter of a couple of days. SO I asked if they can courier it or whatever to get it here in maybe a week or less....... Of course for a fee. But the unit can't go anywhere the way it is so I'll wait.

Really makes me think that somehow a surge or some such event went through the unit.  I have a "Surge Guard Plus" on my unit so I would hope that should have caught any blast - maybe not. Does anyone use a supplemental surge protector system, say one that is used (plugged-in) prior to the units power?

Jeff

Edward Buker

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 10:03:28 PM »
Jeff,

I believe that system runs only on the 12V side of things. The very safest connection, from a surge point of view, is a direct isolated wire to the batteries with its own fuse. Lead acid batteries have a very low impedance and can absorb about any spike without affecting the 12V output.

I doubt that a surge, as we think of it, in the 120v side of things was involved, certainly no AC surge reaches that system.  My guess is that it was a defective component within the unit itself that failed. The folks at the factory in Iowa should be able to shed some light, if there are any precautions you should take that could affect the reliability, and if that model has been problematic. That would probably be your best source for this type of info.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:16:40 AM by 14 »

Jeff Watt

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 04:57:38 AM »
Ed,

Thanks for your insight(s) as I am still trying to learn about these things - steep curve.

I guess I chalk it up to just one of those things. My father-in-law once said things don't break down sitting in the shed. While not entirely (strictly) correct, the point is if something is used, then it may/can break down.

Jeff

Edward Buker

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 07:38:26 AM »
Jeff,

All of our coaches are complex beasts. There are a lot of components and systems in them, and then we put them through some abuse going down some pretty bad highways. It is a wonder that they do as well as they do.

I'm pretty sure that with a new control box, you will be back in business. You can take some comfort in that your coach is wired in a similar fashion as many others, and the problem that you have had is not one that has a history of being problematic. Seems unlikely, given the good component history, that you will have this problem again. Lets hope the diagnostics were good and you are back in business soon.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:27:54 PM by 910 »

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
Good to see they figured it out Jeff. I think Ed is correct, this is not a common problem, and it should be good, now that it is fixed, for a long time.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:53:08 PM by 14 »
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Jeff Watt

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 11:50:11 PM »
Part arrived today and to be installed tomorrow - I guess they used a faster means of transportation.  This should correct everything - well the air suspension anyway  :)

I just read on the Norcold site about the latest recall and I guess that will be the next issue to be addressed....it and the faulty keypad for the keyless entry. A new keypad is being ordered as the outer two touch pads don't work. Its at times like this when maybe simpler is better :-/

Jeff Watt

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 03:43:49 PM »
Everything seems to be working on the HWH - nothing that $2000 can't fix! Apparently the control board was fried.

Going with the thoughts posted here that this seems to be an isolated case, HWH had to make a board for me as they didn't have one in stock. I take that as (1) they don't fail very often and (2) they manufacture that part on a "just in time" basis for installations.

Somethings do work out, I called regarding the Norcold and apparently the previous owner (I bought this unit in May) had the recall work performed already.

The new keypad is on order and hopefully it will arrive before the weekend as I am planning on leaving Sept 6 for Southern Ontario.

Hope everyone on the East coast weathered IRENE without major problems.