Author Topic: Coach brake lights - help!  (Read 2016 times)

Dennis Campbell

Coach brake lights - help!
« on: July 15, 2021, 10:04:16 PM »
Hi all,
I'm in glacier park and discovered I have no brakes light on the coach. It's a 2006 beaver Monterey. So far I cannot find any fuse for the circuit. Is there one, or just some relays? I've not figured out where to brake switch is located either. 
So of course, I have no brake lights on the toad either.

Other maybe related issues are that the cruise control is intermittent at best, the brake pedal will not cancel the cruise control if it is on, and I think at one time, the brake pedal would also shut the high idle off?

I did find a couple of relays in the electrical bay that wires are marked with brakes and have tested those two relays and they seem to check out ok.

I've looked thru some of the threads here, but so far it's not enlightened me. Can some one with a little more experience maybe point me in the right direction? Or call me if possible to help trouble shoot? I have a couple of calls into mobile techs locally here, but no returns calls so far.

Also called Beaver, but they never return my calls.

Thanks,

Dennis

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Coach brake lights - help!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 01:14:04 AM »
Check circuit breaker #7 (middle row of CB's, 7th one down from the top) for 12v both sides.  Relay K18 is the turn signal & brake lights relay (4th relay row from the top, far left relay) that should come from the exhaust brake system to the lights;  also Relay K24 (bottom row of three, middle one) comes from the service brake side to the lights.  Also Terminal Buss #1, 7th nut down is brake lights.  I believe K19 (next to K18) takes a wire from K24 and K19 should be the Cruise Cancel Relay.  If K24 is amiss, that may explain somethings.

See the Wiring Diagram I supplied to Coach Assist, page 5, but be advised that though the book was for an '06, the included diagram for brake lights was for '05's.  Thus relay numbers are not written in stone.  Click the blue link at the top of this page, and at the main BAC site, log in and find Coach Assist under the technical tab.

There should be a switch that the brake pedal interacts with, but others familiar with it will have to advise about that.  In the past I've discovered such problems relate to the leaky lamp covers on the back of my coach.  They don't seal out moisture or dirt very well, and every so often I have to remove them and clean out algae and gunk.  Lamp contacts as a result may corrode and fail, often resulting in the whole system being out.  So that would be my first place to check, but that's just me... no expert on complex 12v electricals.  Check that corrosion, or a rock or something hasn't shorted out or disconnected a wire in the loom under the rear and at the hitch outlet.  I'm disappointed that your entreaties to BCS went unanswered. 

Joel
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 01:21:22 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 01:40:51 AM »
Admin:  delete
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 11:41:45 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 01:42:29 AM »

Addendum/correction:  Relay K4 (top row #4) may be the cruise cancel one, rather than K19.

Part of the confusion from Monaco using the 2005 diagram for a slightly redesigned 2006 coach.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Dennis Campbell

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 05:18:13 AM »
hi Joel, thanks for the response!
When you referred to the circuit breakers, I'm assuming that is the rows of relays in the electrical bay in front of the driver tire? I checked the Relay K24 and it checked out ok, so I will check the others you suggested. I didn't  look far enough into the problem before I posted, but I now see that the marker lights and tail lights don't work either, although turn signals and flashers work. So perhaps that changes things?

I did find the Coach Assist electrical diagrams....thanks for that.

So I take it there are no fuses in the system?

If someone else knows where the brake switch might be located. please let me know. I will continue to search it out on the meantime....thanks!

Plan to be in Redmond in Sept...see you all then!

Dennis

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 06:15:15 AM »
Dennis,
The brake switch should be on the brake pedal bar near the hinge point under the dash.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dennis Campbell

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 03:51:07 PM »
Roger that Steve....it must on the other side of the wall. Not accessible from the inside of the coach apparently.
Thank you!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 08:15:59 PM »
Dennis, the phones were down at BCS for several days.  You might try them again.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat