Author Topic: Fan/Steering hydraulic reservoir oil change  (Read 2442 times)

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
Fan/Steering hydraulic reservoir oil change
« on: July 17, 2021, 06:37:20 PM »
Hi, looking at changing the filter and oil in the fan/power steering hydraulic reservoir on 2005 Beaver. Filter doesn't look like it's been changed in like forever. Will the reservoir drain completely if I just pull the filter? Or do I need to pull either the plug or hose on the reservoir? I would be tempted to just pull the plug on the bottom of the reservoir but see some reference to that being an unused internal filter? Are their filters internal the tank I need to change? And finally, spec calls for Dexron III but does anyone recommend Transyd?
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
Re: Fan/Steering hydraulic reservoir oil change
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 03:09:20 PM »
Gene, my experience has been to drain the tank first by a hose fitting to just below the bottom drop in filter. Then replace the spin on external filter. Then replace the 3 drop in filters and refill with Dexron. The use of Transend has been done but l was never sure about draining of the Dexron and combining with Transend. We have done this process annually for the last 14 years.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 06:50:50 PM »
Can you check the attached photo and let me know if it looks same as your setup. Don't know where internal filters would be or where to find part number..
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 01:07:27 AM »
Gene, my configuration is different than yours as we have a Cat C9. Sorry, I should have  recognized you engine was different.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Bob Gubbins

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 10:52:39 PM »
I changed mine not by choice but if you want to get most of the fluid out follow that hose down to the pump and remove it there...  I wouldn't recommend transyd only for the costs....  it took 7 gallons to refill mine..... had to get it at the cat dealer 60.00 a gallon....

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 01:53:26 PM »
Hi, looking at changing the filter and oil in the fan/power steering hydraulic reservoir on 2005 Beaver. Filter doesn't look like it's been changed in like forever. Will the reservoir drain completely if I just pull the filter? Or do I need to pull either the plug or hose on the reservoir? I would be tempted to just pull the plug on the bottom of the reservoir but see some reference to that being an unused internal filter? Are their filters internal the tank I need to change? And finally, spec calls for Dexron III but does anyone recommend Transyd?

Just remove the "spin-on" hydraulic filter and have a bucket ready to slide under it. You can remove the old filter and spin on a new filter with only a little loss (maybe a 1/2 gallon). There is no filter in the reservoir (how would you get to it if there was one - there is no openings other than a fill port and threaded fitting bosses in the tank)

When you remove the filter the reservoir will drain, so you need to be ready to quickly spin the new filter on.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 03:38:39 PM »
I see in your picture that your yellow fuel line has Voss O-Ring fittings, If they are not leaking now they will in do time, the fix is to replace them with Parker DOT Brass air brake fittings.