Author Topic: Front Airbags  (Read 2187 times)

Christian Fish

• BAC Member
Front Airbags
« on: July 24, 2021, 05:45:27 PM »
Does anybody know the part number for front airbags on a 2005 36’ Monterey, Roadmaster chassis. We crossed some very rough railroad tracks at about 10 mph and all of the front airbags are deflated. We are in La Crosse, WI

Thanks,
Chris
(425) 985-4075
2005 Beaver Monterey Ventura III 36'
Cat C-9 400hp
2013 F-150 Toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Front Airbags
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 09:01:30 PM »
   Christian,
 I would be more inclined to check the height control rod coming loose of the adjustment boot. If you can put your jacks down, you should be able to locate it near the center of the front axle. For safety, you need to block the vehicle raised height before crawling under it. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 08:55:40 PM »
I would almost bet money it's the ride control valve came loose from the front axle. If the bag had blown you would hear air coming out of your bags and you probably would not be able to build air pressure.

Christian Fish

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 06:50:08 PM »
Thanks Fred and Lee, you guys were right. I finally got a chance to crawl underneath it today and the rod is missing and it looks like the upper rubber isolator  is broken. I have an appointment on Wednesday at Quent’s Service in  Oshkosh to get it repaired. I’m having the front airbags replaced while they are in there.
Cat C-9 400hp
2013 F-150 Toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 12:10:28 AM »
I’d not be too quick to spend money on the air bags unless they can for sure show you they’re damaged.  Replacing the rod and isolator should be enough under normal circumstances;  air bags are often too quickly suspected.

While it’s up on the rack, check the two rear rubber isolators for micro-cracks or deterioration.  They are an inexpensive preventive “repair”, $5-$7 at NAPA though not always in stock at some stores.  Carrying a couple spares may prove handy one day;  but always remember to never mess with them without the coach safely on blocks, over a pit, or on a truck-rated lift.

Joel
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MBIRN10JC?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&campaign=GSC-Towing&campaign_id=8911645606&adgroup_id=106416389246&adtype=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjwjbCDBhAwEiwAiudBywnlQp2DtwzJmsHMLRDEyrBA8u1K9jOwPfvTf_yWmOCDBzTHKlo32RoC0WkQAvD_BwE&
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Christian Fish

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 12:50:47 AM »
As Joel has stated I would not go and replace the air bags, unless damaged somehow these bags will last a long time. I don't know if I've ever heard of a bag bursting under normal use, what will happen is the bag will start slowly seeping air out through the sides. But these would be a very small leak and take a good bit of time for the bag to loose much air.
One of the guys in here got a quote at $700 a bag to change them.

Christian Fish

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 01:45:20 AM »
My concern with the airbags was due to being 16 years old and subjected to a very violent jolt ( the front axel bounced 3 times and it literally felt like the front tires were airborne. I’m relieved that I didn’t lose the windshield) that they may have been compromised. I was quoted $250.00 per bag plus installation. I had the shop order the bags so I don’t know if they will let me not buy them.I’ll find out tomorrow. There didn’t seem to be any air leaks.

When I finally figured out the airbags were deflated, I had a mobile service come out to replace the bags but he brought the wrong ones. He didn’t detect the broken leveling valve.
Cat C-9 400hp
2013 F-150 Toad

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 03:04:55 AM »
Again I will state you don't need new air bags, just replace the leveling valve and then see what you have. So the noservice person could not see that the leveling valve was bad and not connected to the front axle. Find a different service tech. That would be the first place I would look.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley