Author Topic: Air brake port/connections for TOAD  (Read 2212 times)

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
Air brake port/connections for TOAD
« on: July 15, 2021, 03:50:37 PM »
I'm looking at purchasing Demco Air Force One braking system for F150 TOAD. Anyone have experience on the coach side configuration for the air? I can feel a air hose going to a metal bracket behind the rear bumper but it's not accessible and hard to see what's there (mainly going by feel). Is the manufacturers intent that I drill a hole in the bumper to access it?  Anyone plumbed one of these and have any suggestions?
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Air brake port/connections for TOAD
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 02:36:16 PM »
Gene
The Air force one by demco has a couple of lines connected into the coach 
1) there is an air supply line which is connected to the air supply to the air relay valve for the rear brakes on the coach this fills a small reservoir tank through a flow restriction which activates in case of large flow .
2) a smaller air line which connects to the signal line at the rear relay valve this line comes from the treadle / foot pedal ovalve at the drivers station and provides the control to both the coach rear brake relay valve and another small relate valve on the demco resovoir .
3) the final air line comes from the demco resovoir tank relay valve and goes to the rear of the coach to an air coupler for the toad to connect to.

The system is set up this way to separate the toad braking system from the coach system in case of a lose of air line between the coach and toad there would not be an adverse effect to the coach brake system according to demco this is the only DOT legal way to connect to the coaches brake system.
It is also what I installed on my coach and works very well.

Here is a video which might help

https://youtu.be/BGZQ-4pKSVI

Hope this helps
Eric

1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 03:53:18 PM »
We have the AF1 on our 05 patriot thunder, Works flawlessly. Installed by Hitch Pros in Eugene Or. Coach side pneumatic stuff all mounted in area above muffler on our coach.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 04:38:15 PM »
Thanks. Was going to install this myself but didn't realize it was quite so involved on coach side. Local shop quoted about 2k installed (both TOAD and MH side) so think I will just let them do it.

I also see Demco has considerable install info on their website. Even pictures of a beaver install.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 06:09:30 PM by Gene Obie »
-Gene

Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 08:48:40 PM »
Gene
The demco system comes with an led that mounts to the rear view mirror of the toad that you should be able to see in your rear view camera but is a bit of a challenge if the camera isn't on all the time.
You might want to consider having them install a wireless brake monitor system so you know when the brakes are on ,off or if the car has come disconnect.
I installed one on mine it works great !

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/braking/universal_brake_monitor.php

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 01:32:13 AM »
That's awesome, definitely getting one of those....will make solo setup confirmation easier I think too. With this I might just have them not install the led on rear view mirror as lane keeping camera is up there.
-Gene

Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 07:42:00 AM »
Turns out I couldn't find anyone with reasonable time frame or distance to install. TOAD side looks pretty straight forward and working on that now. Bill, can you provide pictures of where you installed the tank on your 05 Patriot? It may be similar to my 05 Marquis. Also, not sure where to pick up the metered air line so a pic of that would be great if at all possible. Thanks.
-Gene

Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 06:20:38 PM »
I've been thinking about getting that system too when the time comes. I just need to get a Toad first.

I have not read the installation instructions - so take this with a grain of salt - but I think it would be easy to "tee" into the 1/4-inch "service" line at the rear axle Relay valve. The Relay valve is easy to get to (see attached photo).  That is for your braking (applied) air pressure.

For the 120 psi air source, I think it would be real easy to just tee into the tag axle supply line at the pressure regulator (the incoming air to the regulator).