Author Topic: Fuel leak?  (Read 2965 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Fuel leak?
« on: August 19, 2021, 09:34:52 PM »
This morning I was getting our coach ready for another trip and noticed fuel leaking on the passenger side just be find the front tire. It’s a slow leak, but one drip every 20 seconds. The coach was leaning more towards the passenger side and I also had a full tank of fuel. Anyway I took it out about 100 miles, currently sitting in an RV park and there is no more leak. So I’m thinking that maybe I overfilled it.  Is it possible to overfill the tank to where it overflows.... or do I have a leak that needs to be fixed?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Fuel leak?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 09:56:23 PM »
Fred
Your fuel leak is likely the passenger side filler tube they are made of a rubber fuel resistant tubing they are clamped at both ends one at the filler neck and the other at the fuel tank.
Check the clamps first to see if they're tight and then check the hoses themselves for dry rot.
I replaced mine a couple of years ago the hose can be picked up at any good parts retailer but they ain't cheap.
Also check the fuel lines to your Aquahot if you have one.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 12:00:01 AM »
Fred
Your fuel leak is likely the passenger side filler tube they are made of a rubber fuel resistant tubing they are clamped at both ends one at the filler neck and the other at the fuel tank.
Check the clamps first to see if they're tight and then check the hoses themselves for dry rot.
I replaced mine a couple of years ago the hose can be picked up at any good parts retailer but they ain't cheap.
Also check the fuel lines to your Aquahot if you have one.

Eric

Thanks for the reply Eric. Well I guess I’m finally going to have to get under the coach and take a look. I really don’t like getting under there so much because there’s limited space and I have safety concerns. I have no way of getting it up high enough to work comfortably. It would be nice to have a pit drive over.
Fred & Cindy

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 12:37:21 AM »
Fred
If you have an Aquahot in the first passenger side bay you may be able to see the full tube and upper clamp by opening the bay door and looking up to the right . On mine the separator wall has a notch cut out of it to allow the fill tube to pass through.

Alternatively you can run the front wheels onto a set of stacked 2x8s to gain 6 or 8 inches or raise the front with the leveling jack and block under the wheels or between the upper and lower frame sections..

I heard you about the pit .I do miss my old work place where I could put the coach on the hoists and left it 8 feet in the air
It's amazing the things you see under there you didn't know where there.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 01:55:49 AM »
Yes I do have an aqua hot in the first bay door on the passenger side. It’s dark now so I will take a look at it next day or two. Currently on a trip to St. Louis for my 50 year high school reunion. Actually the 50 year reunion was supposed to be last year but it was postponed because of Covid. Thanks for all your help Eric!
Fred & Cindy

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 02:57:47 AM »
A year or so ago I parked our coach on our inclined driveway after topping off the diesel tank.  The incline is enough that the air leveling cannot bring the coach to level... a few degrees short of level.  The nose of the coach was pointing downhill.  The following morning there was a telltale wet diesel spot in front of the driver's steering tire.  I ran the generator for an hour and the leak stopped.  I probably used a gallon of diesel driving from the CFN station to the house and the generator used a quart or two, I suppose.  But the leak stopped and I have not seen it since.

2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 04:42:41 AM »
Gentlemen
I do not know if your coaches are assembled like mine, I have a '06 Monterey.  I had just that kind of fuel leak when the tank was full and parked nose down.  I found there is a vent tube between the two fill ports (3/4 inch rubber hose).  It runs from the drivers side fill port through holes in the frame to the passenger side fill port.  Over the years, the movement chaffed through the hose where it goes through the frame.  I replaced the hose and no more leaks.  Hope your problem is that simple.
Richard   
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Mike Grevers

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 05:14:31 PM »
I have a 2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder and two years ago replaced both filler hoses as the passenger side had started to leak when filling. Your best bet is a marine parts store as they typically will have the right sized reinforced hose for the fuel filler neck. Its actually not that bad to get at just turn your wheels all the way out so you have room to work. Good luck!!
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder 505

Roy Boles

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 07:07:17 AM »
Just a thought here but in some cases that wheel opening panel is like a compartment door. If that’s the way your coach is made you unbolt it at the bottom and swing it up. That way you have access to that fuel hose. It should be a 2” hose. I replaced the hose on mine with exhaust pipe. I had to take the coach to a muffler shop. They bent the tube to fit between the filler neck and the fuel tank. Using about 8” of new hose on each end to install the pipe. Works great and it fuels better. Hope this helps.
'98 Marquis Diamante
C-12/Allison 4000
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Paul Meehan