Author Topic: Broken Down CAT  (Read 2498 times)

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
Broken Down CAT
« on: September 26, 2021, 07:49:25 PM »
Help!
I have a 2006 Monterey with the CAT C9 (400HP).  I am in Eagle Nest, New Mexico.  My engine has developed a significant knock.  I would be afraid to continue driving it.  I am going to look for a safe place to spend the night.  Does anyone know of a mobile mechanic that would be willing to travel to this remote location to evaluate my engine knock?  Obviously, it is Sunday and everything is closed.  So, I will hunker down and spend the night.  Hopefully someone can provide me some direction as to who to call tomorrow.
Thanks!
Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Broken Down CAT
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 07:53:24 PM »
   Call Dave Atherton, retired Cat mechanic for advice 605-999-0720
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Carr

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 07:57:49 PM »
 Call Dave Atherton he will be your best lead to know the problem and suggest a repair
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 08:09:22 PM »
Richard,
I agree with Jerry & Fred re calling Dave. If the knock occurs during acceleration but quiets down when at cruise it could be a failed injector. This occurred on out C9  couple of years ago.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 08:33:14 PM »
I will call Dave at the first opportunity as soon as I get settled for the night.

Steve
My knock is the other way around than yours.  It is loudest at idle.  When you rev it up a little, it settles down.  It is huffing out the exhaust, so one cylinder is obviously not doing it's thing.

Richard

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 10:10:11 PM »
Richard
It sounds like a bad injector dumping fuel
Don't drive it too far as it could pound a rod bearing out of it .
I'll let Dave talk you through this one.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 06:44:54 AM »
Gentlemen. Been in contact with Richard and feel information Richard has provided is very good.
After checking several areas, Richard has removed the valve cover and looking real close at valves,
Rocker arms and push rods. Now we are removing the electrical clip to injectors, what Richard has
verify heavy oil soaked electrical connections to injectors and on number 6 injector very loose connection clip. We were going to single out which Cylinder by removing electrical connector one at
a time but change attack plan and clean all connections and reseal all the injectors. Reason for this
to side step big oily mess at campground. Richard has to find a parts store in morning to get can of
Brake clean and assorted box of o-rings. It sounds we may have found injector number 6 may not
be firing correct. The next step is if we cannot remove the missing clicking sound at idle will be taking
oil sample.

Want to note: good judgment on Richard part, shut down and parked at campground. Being in middle
of nowhere 200 miles to closest service shop for a tow truck will be very costly. In a case such as
this Richard has good phone service, internet connection and campground will be open to November.
The approach will repair in place unless if we need to pull oil sample and results show major failure.
I can email technical information off Caterpillar SIS and assist Richard of which he is willing to do.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 04:24:37 AM »
Dave, Richard,
10mm O rings will work for sealing the connector.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 02:39:40 PM »
Steve , yes that is the size Richard is getting

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 08:38:23 PM »
Update
Sealing the electrical connections to the injectors did not solve the problem.  I continued troubleshooting per Dave's directions and eventually determined that injector #1 had failed.  (I put a tarp under the coach to keep oil drips from fouling the campground, tarped up the bedroom to keep oil spray off of carpet and bed and fabricated a cardboard valve cover to keep most of the oil spray in the head.  I pulled each connection off the injectors one at a time with the engine running to verify which injector was causing the horrendous clacking.  I had started with #6 because that is the one that had the loosest electrical connection, but the culprit was #1.)  I ordered a CAT re-manufactured injector with new O rings and a new IAP sensor per Dave's directions.  Received the parts via UPS the next day.  Spent a long hard day standing on my head through the access port in the closet to remove the bad injector and the IAP sensor and install the new ones.  Then had to put everything back together.  (It is surprising how much "stuff" you have to remove just to get in there to work on things.)  CAT's directions call for priming the empty fuel rail with the hand pump.  My coach does not have a hand pump, but I do have the CAT auxiliary primer pump that I installed a couple of years ago (one of Dave's recommendations from here on the forum).  I cycled the primer pump, cranked the engine in multiple cycles a few seconds at a time to allow oil and fuel to properly pressure the HEUI head.  On the 4th cycle, it started and ran like it is supposed to.  I will be forever grateful to Dave Atherton and all the other friendly and helpful people on this forum.  Thank You All.
Richard

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 02:02:12 AM »
Gentlemen, being broken down in the middle of no where ( can and is very stressful ). It was determined early into Richard problem to repair in place being 200 miles away from nearest
service shop. All I can say Richard did a outstanding job, following direction from technical
Information off caterpillar SIS problem that Dave sent him on troubleshooting and repair total
18 pages. In Richard problem after determining number (1) injector not working, it is quite involved
removing and installed new injector and not hydro-locking the engine, this is where the technical
information came into play along with good phone service and internet. Richard just saved over
$ 8,000. dollars or more by his determination he could make the repair as needed. Very good ending
being stranded in middle of no where. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jim Murray, Keith Moffett, Jerry Carr, Fred Brooks

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 05:34:33 PM »
Richard, I wish I had your acumen for mechanical work. Just had (at 94,000 miles) #5 injector replaced (brand new OEM CAT), the shop offered a knock off for half price..no thank you. Almost $2000 with the part $754 and the labor. Runs like a top now.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 07:03:23 PM »
I have returned safely to Oklahoma and all is well.  The Monterey ran nicely the rest of the way home after replacing the injector and then fixing the loose battery connection.  I would like to send Dave a personal thank you for all the time and effort he spent in helping me resolve this issue.  Can someone PM me a current address for Dave?  Thanks
Richard

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 11:14:04 PM »
Great story with a great outcome. Kudos to all who offered timely and useful input, to Dave for furnishing concise and confident direction, and to you Richard for digging in, getting dirty and getting the job done!

Thanks to both Richard and Dave for the thorough reporting. A few years ago, Dave counseled me as I dealt with a check engine light on a cold start while on a trip. After discussing the symptoms Dave deemed it safe to drive because the light would go out once the engine warmed up. It turned out the light was triggered by a sticking plunger in the oil pump which was later replaced by my Cat authorized service facility.

This forum ROCKS!
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium