Author Topic: Aladdin tank monitor  (Read 17972 times)

Paul Schwalen

Aladdin tank monitor
« on: August 08, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »
The gray tank monitor on the Aladdin is giving a false readout. No matter where the level of the tank may be the monitor reads 86% and 43 gals.  It started this a few days ago but the fresh and black monitors are still accurate.

I found the tank level interface unit in the first bay in front of the passenger side rear wheel.  The interface unit has 3 connections to it for the 3 tanks.  First I removed the plug for the gray tank and the readout went to zero. Then I switched the plugs for the black and gray tanks and got the correct reading for the black tank on the gray tank readout but got a different but incorrect reading for the gray tank using the black tank plug into the interface unit.

I can't seem to trace the telephone cable back from the interface unit other than to verify that it goes above the tanks but where to I don't know.

Anyone have any ideas where I should go next?

Edward Buker

Re: Aladdin tank monitor
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 08:22:39 PM »
Paul,
 It looks like either you have a bad connection to a sensor or a bad sensor at the tank.

I tried to upload a file on the forum about tha Aladdin sensor calibration that has some info that may be helpful but the type of file it used was not allowed. If you think that you want the file Email me at e.buker@gulftel.com and I will send it along.

If you can find the sensor mounting location you may be abe to unplug the phone cable and gently clean the wire contacts with a sharpened typewriter eraser. Any decent phone/Cat5 cable tester could check that line. It would seem unlikely that the wire is bad and the end connectors could be changed. If the wire is good then you only have the sensor as a failure alternative. If the black and gray sensors are close by you could exchange the cables and see if that test indicates that the sensor or wire is bad. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »
Ed,

Thanks for the offer of the info file. I have emailed you.

Hope someone knows where the sensor is located.

Paul

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 01:12:20 AM »
Paul.

I did not get your Email, double check my address in the above note. If that address does not work for you try ednjillb@hotmail.com

Joy, flat tire on the toad today.... Nothing like one nail sitting somewhere on a highway that somehow finds your tire.

Later Ed

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 01:57:08 AM »
Ed,

Tried the new email address.

Paul

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 03:56:18 AM »
Paul,

You should now have several Emails that I recently sent to your Email address.

Later Ed

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 05:23:22 AM »
   On our '05 Monterey, the sensors are threaded into the the tanks (blk & gray) next to each tank dump outlet. You will need to disassemble (on ours) the white paneling in the water compartment. When you unthread the sensors, do not stick anything in the orifice of the sensor.  There will be a clear gooey substance protecting the sensors from moisture, that should not be removed. To clean rinse with HOT soapy WATER, to cut the grease. I used Simple Green.
 Good luck, Jim Nichols
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:51:15 PM by 14 »
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 05:37:35 AM »
I was able to get to mine, by removing only the smaller stainless steel panel that attaches to the white panel.  I replaced them when Monaco was still Monaco, and brought a parts truck to a rally.  They were pretty cheap.  I wish I bought a couple extra!  

I am sure you thought of this, but if you do unscrew them, be sure the tanks are fully empty and rinsed a couple times -- maybe even with some bleach in the water.  After that, you might consider using the leveling jacks to tip the coach.   The tanks are on sloping slabs of Styrofoam so it may take a lot of tilt!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:53:02 PM by 14 »

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 01:19:43 PM »
Ed, Jim, Bill,

Thanks to all. My next task is to open the plumbing bay faceplate, and check out everything.  The photos that Ed sent, make it pretty clear the sensors are behind the faceplate.  We are presetly in Madison for the FMCA Rally, and if I can find replacements for the sensors, I will buy them just to have.  Since we only have electric here, I cannot remove a sensor.  I am pretty sure I will wait till we get home in late August to tackle the problem.

Thanks again guys.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:59:44 PM by 14 »

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »
Well, we finally go home and I opened the plumbing bay up to reveal the sensors just where the photo Ed  sent showed them. (By the way it is no quick job to remove all the stuff to get at the area behind the white panel which reveals the sensors, etc.)

After removing the telephone wire from the gray tank sensor and plugging it into the black tank sensor and vice versa it was obvious that I had a bad sensor.  I first called Monaco and they in fact have them at $132 each!  I then called Beaver Coach Sales and talked to Larry in parts and ordered the sensor for $32!!!  I relay this info to reinforce the thought that Monaco is not trying to help us but in fact is gouging us!

Anyway, the sensor is installed and all is OK in the RV world again!

By the way, since I have a 03 Beaver the tank calibration setting procedure is different from those of later years.  If anyone needs them let me know and I will email them.

Thanks again to all for their thoughts and inputs.

Paul

Les Marzec

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Paul

I have an 03 PT and I would like to have the reset procedures that you referred to. Could you email them to me?

Thanks

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 11:50:56 PM »
I have never had the utility bay panel off my 05 patriot thunder. What is the most important thing to be aware of when pulling it?
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Edward Buker

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 04:40:58 AM »
Not swearing too much with little children around....

Later Ed

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 03:53:43 PM »
That's funny Ed, I will try to watch that if I have to get in there. It does look painful with all those hose connections and cable, phone, etc. I think I will pass on opening it up until I really have too.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 08:15:52 PM »
Lester: I have emailed the file to you.  Let me know if it didn't come through.

Larry: Ed is right - also, you need to be patient and take some before pics.

Paul