Author Topic: Key fob and Keypad not opening locks  (Read 1479 times)

Bruce Hoglander

Key fob and Keypad not opening locks
« on: October 09, 2021, 02:46:37 PM »
I am at a beautiful spot in Carrabelle FL but scheduled to leave tomorrow. Last night we were eating and heard the door lock. Sure enough it locked itself and all of the bays. Each time i shut the door it locked itself even when I shut it gently.

This morning it is not locking itself when I shut the door but  only the key will unlock or lock front door and the bay doors will not unlock with the key.

I have the ESSEX key pad and I replaced keypad about six months ago. This morning  I went ahead unplugged it and reprogrammed the key pad and it makes all the right beeps according to manual but does not lock or unlock anything. Went to key fobs and when I press the buttons on the key fob I can hear and feel the click when I put my hand on the brain behind instrument panel  but that signal is not activating the locks.

Any ideas? Has anyone had something similar happen? Don't understand why the key wont open any of the bay doors. Cant even leave the site until I at least resolve bay doors unlocking because the electric cord and hose have to be put away

Mike Shumack

Re: Key fob and Keypad not opening locks
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 03:20:35 PM »
Do you have a bank of relays in your front Run/Electrical Bay (like my 2005 Patriot)? If so, maybe a relay is bad (sticking).

I've been working on a problem with my locks too (the Key Fob only locks the front door and not the Bay doors). I created the diagram (below) for my setup. Maybe it is the same for yours.

Bruce Hoglander

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 03:47:27 PM »
Thank you mike ...The problem is I can't get into the front electrical bay. The TM211 key worked on only two of the bay doors . All the locks say TM211 but haven't been used in 15 years! I sprayed them all with silicone and am hoping that may help.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 07:00:16 PM »
Bruce,
Per Mike's diagram, applying 12v to the brown wire from the key pad or the green/white wire from the controller should open the bay locks.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bruce Hoglander

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 08:55:14 PM »
Thank you steve and mike, that diagram is perfect. I was able to go through the hole in the bottom of the electric bay where the AC cord for shore power comes out. Reaching up through there I was able to take of the backing plate to the lock and found the actuator frozen in the full lock position . I was able to bend the actuator rod enough to open the door and then removed the actuator and now the lock works fine with the key. I was able to access two other compartments that were also locked by Crawling through a couple of other compartments. Same story . Actuator frozen in the locked position - no 12 volt current present at the moment.  I removed those actuators and disconnected the power on the three doors that were unlocked so now I am able to travel. Problem is the front electrical bay is locked and I have no access to get to the backside of the lock without cutting a hole in the floor!!  Without access to the relays I can't fix anything. I have disconnected the key pad and probably will the remote module as well before leaving. Has anyone else had this problem?  Is there another way to open the bay door lock with the actuator frozen in the locked position? put current to the frozen  actuators but no response.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 10:06:50 PM »
I have had the power door lock actuator freeze too. When that happens you can't unlock the door with the key, as the stuck actuator is holding the linkage in the lock position.

Fortunately, in my case I was able to access the back of the door from the other side of coach (pass through).
With that in mind, I removed the actuator from the Electric Bay compartment door. This way I can be sure that I can always open the compartment door with the key - which may be necessary if a relay or circuit breaker, etc. ever goes bad and none of the power locks work. Since that compartment is not used for storage (or accessed often) there is no reason to have power lock on it.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 01:31:10 AM »
Bruce
If it's a relay stuck powering the lock actuators in the lock position you might be in luck.
At least in my coach anyway all the baggage door locks are wired to a central electrical box located on the ceiling in second cargo bay between the frame rails .
If yours is the same you may be able to disconnect the wires and repower them to unlock all the bays.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Bruce Hoglander

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 04:50:32 AM »
Thank you Eric, I will look in the morning.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 07:09:41 PM »
This same thing happened to me, just when I was loading the coach to leave on a trip from home. ALL of my bay doors would not open, except for the door where the power cord was. It was recently changed to a newer model of actuator, so I surmised that was the reason. I went through several trouble shooting episodes with the gracious help of Steve Huber. I ended up drilling out all 9 bay door locks. My handles were the chrome plated ones that came with the coach. They are no longer made by TriMark. Just like you, none of the keys would turn the tumblers on the locks. I had to replace them all, with new actuators. Unfortunately, the handles are now all black instead of chrome.

I am an expert on the disassembly and reassembly of these complex door locks. It took me a long time to get them to work as they should. Putting them back in place, with all of the right parts in the right place was a chore.

Good luck.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad