Author Topic: Front Cap Marker Light Leaks  (Read 10161 times)

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Front Cap Marker Light Leaks
« on: August 09, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
This is my third cycle of dealing with water leaks from the front cap marker light lenses.  Does anyone have a fix for this problem?
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Gerald Farris

Re: Front Cap Marker Light Leaks
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:10:07 PM »
The only fix that I know of is to replace the clearance lights and seal them to the cap with a good sealer like Lexel or a good grade of silicone sealer. The reason that you need to replace the clearance lights is that they sun crack and water will leak through the lens.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:37:25 PM by 235 »

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:11:11 PM »
Gerald,

The first time they were replaced by Beaver service folks at Eastern homecoming, but they did not use rubber gaskets.  The second time they were replaced, I used the rubber gasket that came with the lights and sealed with silicone sealer.  Is the correct installation with gasket or without?  The problem seems to be the lenses crack and water leaks in behind them.  Could there be a better, more durable lense material that will fit in the recessed space provided in the cap?
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
Niceville, Florida

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 11:27:23 PM »
Use the gasket and seal with black high temp RTV.  The trick is to snug the screws, wait for the RTV to dry and tightened.  Don't tightened more than a single screw turn or less.  These don;t have to be tight.  Doing so WILL break the light fixture.

Gil

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:14:01 AM »
I replaced ours (both front and rear) about a year ago.  I used LED lights, which as it turned out, were not as wide and so fit in the recess better.  The gasket fit better as well, so I got a good snug seal, which when complimented with a bead of sealant, has worked well.  We have had about 20 inches of rain since with no leaks I can find.
Hope this helps.
Keith
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:01:24 AM by 14 »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 01:52:17 PM »
We also went with LED clerance lights and they are fo much better quality and I feel will last for many years. Properly sealed you will have no leaks.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »
Gil,
I agree with your above post on installing new clearance lights, with the exception of the sealer that you recommend. The black RTV sealer that you recommended is a bear to remove, if the lens sun cracks again, and it is an appearance problem, unless your coach is black or very dark colored around the clearance lights.  Lexel is clear when it dries, and I think that it will seal as well as black RTV, without the clean-up and appearance issues. Lexel will also last longer than the plastic clearance lights will.

LED clearance lights are usually, but not always, much better made lights, with thicker plastic lens, and they will virtually never burn out. However, they usually cost up to 5 times more money, so an owner will have to take that into consideration when purchasing new lights.

Gerald
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:06:14 AM by 14 »

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:02:18 AM »
Gerald,

Good advise.  Lexel, it is.

Gil

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 07:00:45 AM »
I have been using Lexel for about 4 years, and I seldom resort to silicone anymore.  It is more clear, more flexible, can be re-coated without removal of the old.  Lexel is just a superior product.

Larry

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 11:03:14 AM »
We baught our LED marker lights on e-bay.  They were identical to the old ones, only LED.  They fit in the resessed area perfectly and they didn't cost a bunch, either!  Very reasonable.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 02:41:52 PM »
Were does one find this "Lexel" product??

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »
Keith,

Do you have a part number for the LED style light?  

Thanks,

Karl
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
Niceville, Florida

Bill Sprague

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »
We were camp hosting at a state park, and a long ways from a lens source, when the front cap lights started leaking (again) in a rain storm.   In desperation I smeared some bathroom calk all over the cracked lenses.  it was what I had handy at the time and I think it was latex.  It went on as white and dried clear.   That was a year ago and it has not leaked since!  Oddly, from the ground, they look "normal".   It is still on my "to do" list to replace them.  But, I might put it off just to see how long my cheap fix works!

A very long time ago I was in the truck parts business and we carried a product line called "Truck Lite" that promoted that they used "Lexan" lenses.  I think that is a brand name for "polycarbonate".  We used to demo how tough the stuff was by beating on it with boards and hammers.  Unfortunately, the lenses we got from Beaver are made of cheap plastic.  I read the brand off the inside of a lens and it said "KII".  That lead to a multi product importer in Washington State that didn't answer the phone.  

For the amount of time we coach owners really drive at night, I think it matters a lot more to put good lenses up there that don't crack than to install LED lights.  The good lenses will come from truck brands.  So if you go to the trouble of completely replacing the lights, get good ones that brag about being made of "polycarbonate"

Here is an example of a light that might fit:  http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=46832  There are lots of choices here:  http://www.grote.com/prodcat/B.html

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 05:35:59 PM »
WE purchased our LED clerance lights at 75 Chrome Shop at the Wildwood, FL exit (same as Alliance Coach or Old Camp Monaco Exit. We also replaced the side marker lights with the same. Cost was about $7.00 per light.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 08:58:04 PM »
You can buy Lexel in hardware stores, like Ace.  Search on line at their website for locations of dealers near you.  Or buy it on line.

http://www.sashcosealants.com/Home_Improvement/Lexel.aspx

Larry