Author Topic: magnadyne keypad  (Read 1759 times)

Dennis Belfils

magnadyne keypad
« on: October 15, 2021, 02:03:34 PM »
Hello. Our Magnadyne keypad needs replacement. BCS says they stopped making them 2 yrs ago, and I can't seem to find any. Has anyone replaced theirs with another brand?

Mike Shumack

Re: magnadyne keypad
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 03:13:24 PM »
Here's another thread on the subject that may be helpful http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php?topic=3696.0

NW RV Supply has some Magnadyne stuff - not sure if they have what you're looking for.
http://www.nwrvsupply.com/category/148.html

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 06:24:58 PM »
Thanx Mike. I did read that already. Am in need of a new keypad, or a retrofit to something else, just don't know what will fit.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 10:37:53 PM »
I think Essex is the only thing similar
https://www.keyless.com/ke-1700/

These keypads famously act up when wet.  They must be well sealed in their escutcheon as well as into the coach wall.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 02:38:04 PM »
Thanx Joel. I am looking at the Essex now. Was hoping someone had already done this. Does the key FOB transmitter need to be replaced also? Not sure if the keypad talks to it, or directly to the locks. $300 for the keypad & another $200 for the transmitter.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 04:00:06 PM »
The way our Essex works is there is the keypad, then below the keypad is a module, then the key fob has its own module in the dash under the removable cover. Call Essex, they were very helpful when I had keypad trouble.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 08:16:07 PM »
Thanx Bill. Just got off the phone with Tec @ Essex. They do not know if their KE-1701 will work with our rig. It depends on the type of relays being used. They do not know if I need to replace the key FOB transmitter or not. I was told they get this question every few months, but no one has replied back to them on whether it worked out alright or not. Unless I can get more info I think we will have to just live without it for now.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 09:44:46 PM »
Consider getting the existing Magnadyne repaired.   I'm a proponent of fixing electronic failures myself whenever its within my capabilities.  When it's not I'd call MM.
https://www.mmrvelectronics.com/

Often it's just a tiny component worth a few cents, and too often it's a nanocracked solder bead easily reset with a soldering iron.  Or maybe high resistance from corrosion... the pad lives outside after all, and has a history of susceptibility to rain and washing.

New or repaired, Lexel the heck out of it when reinstalling the pad on the coach wall.
Joel
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 09:51:17 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 09:52:54 PM »
I think if you replaced all three components (keypad, relay module, and key fob and wireless module) with new Essex units, you would have no problems. Our entry keypad didn't work for the first 4 years we had the coach. BCS replaced the keypad and we use it all the time, very convenient! Either repaired or replaced, you won't regret it once its working,
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 09:20:02 PM »
Thanx Joel. I contacted MMRV. They cannot repair this due to it's sealed nature. The electronics of it works. It is de-laminating at the numbers, then moisture gets in & causes trouble. Will have to disconnect it for now, till it becomes worth retrofitting..........
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley