Author Topic: Bay Door Retainer clips  (Read 1527 times)

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
Bay Door Retainer clips
« on: November 03, 2021, 11:47:09 PM »
I have a 2006 Monterey.  The small plastic retainer clips that screw up behind the bay door hinges to keep the doors from coming off have deteriorated with age and many of them are broken and gone.  Does anyone know of a source for replacement, or am I just going to have to fabricate something that will work in their place?  Thanks!
Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Mike Shumack

Re: Bay Door Retainer clips
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 02:51:40 PM »
Richard, I just pulled off one of my Bay doors off to fix a loose door skin (my thread is about two threads down from yours).

I removed three plastic "retainers" held in by a small screw. It appears these retainers only keep the door from "sliding sideways" on the hinge - which is important for alignment of course. The gas struts keep the doors from opening fully or too high (which is the direction the door needs to go to be removed from the hinge).

Does you retainer look like the one in this photo (it happens to be painted brown from overspray I think). The other two retainers are just blast plastic. They are just rectangular plastic blocks with a hole in them for the screw.

If your seeing something different, try to post a photo of it.

These would be very easy to make. I doubt anyone sells them. If you want a close up photo and dimensions let me know. My door is still off and those retainers are on my workbench.
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Bob Stone

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 03:03:15 PM »
Mike
Yes!  Those are the retainers I am referring to.  If they are missing, not only do they allow the door to slide sideways on the hinge, but they allow the the door to come off the hinge when you don't want it to.  I guess I will have to fabricate some replacements.
Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 07:40:19 PM »
@Mike Shumack - I need to replace some that are missing, and would appreciate the information on size.

Thanks.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 01:42:13 PM »
I took a few pictures that I hope will help.

Two of the three retainers are just flat plastic stock. It appears these are there to prevent door from lifting off.
The third retainer (sort of "C" shaped) is the one that keeps the door from sliding sideways on the hinge. I thing this one could be more square shaped (or tapered) and still do its job as long as it fits into the notch in the door panel so the door cant slide, and clears the curve of the hinge.

When I removed the door, the little (#6) screw broke off on the C-shaped retainer. I'll need to drill that out, or use a different location that aligns with a notch. The other retainers came right out. I think they were the ones removed when the door was taken off at the body shop. It may be that the C-shaped one doesn't need to come out to remove the door (it didn't look like it was ever out). I'm not sure.
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Bob Stone