Author Topic: Kingpins, airbags, and grease type for 2004 Marquis  (Read 2522 times)

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Kingpins, airbags, and grease type for 2004 Marquis
« on: November 08, 2021, 06:27:10 PM »
Our coach, a 2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire, is in the shop in Yuma to have the front end looked at because the right front tire had to be replaced due to severe wear towards the outside of the tire.  I have replaced both front tires.  I also asked the shop to look over the chassis from front to rear for anything that looks bad, including the airbags.

1.  The shop is telling me that both kingpins on the steering axle need to be replaced along with other parts associated with the front end steering and suspension.  Do you have any suggestions for where to source those parts?

2. The shop is going to grease the driveline and its U-joints.  It seems like I have read on the Forum that a special grease is used in the driveline and U-joints but I am not finding that information using the search function.  Do you have a suggestion for what grease is used?

3.  Per the shop, all four front axle airbags are in need of replacement.  Do you know the identification of these four airbags and where they can be sourced?  The rear six airbags are in good shape.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

Re: Kingpins, airbags, and grease type for 2004 Marquis
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 09:53:40 PM »
If you know and trust this shop, continue. Otherwise I would get a second opinion. Not saying they're wrong, just when it comes to spending a bunch, a second opinion is wise.

Your chassis should be the same as mine.
The Owners manual mentions using Clay Based grease when greasing the "slake adjusters and cams" on the brakes. That's the only place for this type - but our Coaches don't have grease fittings on the front brakes and it is normal/Typical to use standard chassis/driveline grades on the slack adjusters in the rear ( the brake manufacture does not require Clay based). The chassis grease is just your standard multi-purpose NLGI#2.

For front end parts. The front axle is a Dana E-1462W (the model tag is on the front of the axle). So any truck shop should have no problem finding parts.
For air bags try https://www.truckandtrailer.parts/Goodyear-Suspension-Air-Springs_c_1115.html
I have not bought from them but I saved their web page as others have reported good service/value from them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 10:00:00 PM by Mike Shumack »
The following users thanked this post: David T. Richelderfer

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 10:27:12 PM »
David,
The special lube is the clay based grease for the brakes that Mike noted. Check out the Monaco Drive Shaft Lube under Service Bulletins in Coach Assist. It details the drive shaft lube procedure and grease.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Norm Vernon

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 06:54:12 AM »
https://www.stengelbros.net/1R11-121-Goodyear-Rolling-Lobe-Air-Spring_p_5635.html

seems to be the cheapest so far - I am currently in the same boat with my front bags
2004 43' Marquis
C12

John Fitzgerald

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 04:48:52 PM »
Being a technician in industry, clay based lubricants are usually indicated for high temperature applications.  Grease is basically oil in a carrier material (most likely a type of soap in the old days) which is selected for the application.  This may be why it is recommended in brakes, which can get mighty hot.

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 03:04:49 PM »
Chassis Dynamics in Yuma has found almost all the parts for the coach's front end.  Those parts include a King Pin Set (two king pins and their associated bearings, nuts, etc. - K147E, $473.89) and two Tie Rod Ends, RH and LH - TRE12937 and TRE12938, $65.00 each.

Chassis Dynamics has not found a Drag Link yet.  If you have that information, then please pass it along.  Thanks...

Rush Truck Center, the Peterbuilt shop in Yuma, supplied the above parts and had them on hand.  Rush has found the airbags, Firestone 9441, but shows their price at $676.50 each.  I have sent a request to Stengel's website asking for the price and availability of the 1R11-121 airbag.  Stengel's website shows their cost at under $200.00 each, plus (I would guess) shipping.

Chassis Dynamics arranged for me to purchase the King Pin Set and the two Tie Rod End kits directly from the Rush Truck Center at Chassis Dynamic's price which saved me $438 from the cost if I had purchased them directly from Chassis Dynamics.  Thus, I did not have to pay a double markup.  Almost all businesses in Yuma realize that the summer visitors (snowbirds from northern states and Canada) will make or break them.  Thus, they will provide savings where they can in the hope of word-of-mouth references and return customers.  Most businesses here in Yuma will provide substantial savings for cash payment versus credit card payments.  For example, Bob's Diesel here charges $130 per hour for credit card payment, $30 per hour less for cash payment.  Chassis Dynamics will reduce my labor bill by about 10% for cash payment.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 06:14:58 PM by David T. Richelderfer »

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 05:54:42 PM »
David
Is your drag link one piece or are the link ends replaceable.
I know the Marquis chassis is likely different than my 97 Patriot but for mine the drag link ends are replaceable and are right and left hand threads making the drag link  length adjustable.
They may or may not be the same but here are the numbers for comparison

DAYTON. # 310-116.   OR  TRIANGLE SUSPENSION # ES176R.     FOR RIGHT HAND THREAD
DAYTON # 310-115.    OR  TRIANGLE SUSPENSION  #ES176L.      FOR.  LEFT HAND.  THREAD

The. Link below will give you the sizes and thread pitch etc to work from

https://www.truckcomponentsonline.com/tie-rod-ends.html

https://vanhorntruckparts.com/tie-rod-end-462-es176l-e-4636-462-es176l.html

https://vanhorntruckparts.com/tie-rod-end-462-es176r-e-4637-462-es176r.html

If you have a solid or fixed drag link this link may help

https://www.truckcomponentsonline.com/DRAG-LINKS_c_5.html

Front Air bags the patriot original air bag was a 1R11-039 which can be replaced with 1R11-121 only difference is the 039 had an aluminum pedistal and the 121 has a plastic pedistal

https://www.stengelbros.net/1R11-039-Goodyear-Rolling-Lobe-Air-Spring_p_5628.html

https://www.truckcomponentsonline.com/AIR-SPRING--ROLLING-LOBE--1R11-121_p_1319.html

Hope this helps u
Eric

« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 09:40:07 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 09:45:11 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 07:58:21 PM »
I went to the Chassis Dynamics Shop this morning to give James information I had regarding a source for the drag link... received from Eric Maclean.  While there, James called one of the sources and had a discussion.  The person (Sue) on the other end of the call was familiar with parts for at least a Beaver Monterey.  James told her my coach is a 2004 Beaver Marquis and she asked about the length of the drag link.  She remembered 54" being the Monterey's drag link length.  For edification, my Marquis's drag link is a one-piece (no replaceable ends) and is 59" long center-to-center.  James needed to return a call to Sue with that info.  She said there is a firm in the midwest that makes these and she would be contacting that firm for the availability of the drag link.  So this looks like a great prospect to locate and purchase a new drag link.

The cheapest source for the airbags I found is Ironwing Sales in PA - $135 each but no bags on hand.  The next cheapest source is Find It Parts at $145 each which had a cross-referenced part number from the 1R11-121 to a Firestone 9441.  ContiTech has eleven bags on hand, four of which are ordered and on the way to the Chassis Dynamics Shop.  Again, thanks go to Eric Maclean for this info.

It's looking like my $5000 estimated bill for the work at Chassis Dynamics will be closer to $3000, estimating half parts and half labor.  Thanks go to all of you who have helped coach me with parts sourcing.

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 01:24:25 AM »
We found a drag link yesterday and got it ordered this afternoon.  The old drag link apparently has one adjustable end, so both ends are not replaceable.  The drag link ordered today has two replaceable ends.  Also, apparently, the drag link is 54" long when both adjustable ends are "compressed," meaning the ends are screwed in completely.  My old drag link is 59" which means the ends need to be "uncompressed", meaning screwed out by a total of 9" to fit like the old drag link.

Not only was this drag link difficult to locate, but also it is expensive - $1,549 plus an estimated $100 shipping.  The lady (Sue) at Veurink's RV Center south of Grand Rapids, MI located the part.  After a couple of days of labor to install the new parts, my estimated cost for this exercise will be close to $5,000.  Then on to the next shop for more repairs including engine oil and filter change, generator oil and filter change, and Aquahot annual...  plus a few other odd repairs.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 02:28:48 AM »
David
Glad to hear you found a drag link you don't have a part number and supplier to post in case someone else needs one.
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 11:53:48 AM »
I did post the supplier, but I don't have an invoice or the part in hand, so I don't know the part number.

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2021, 08:47:32 PM »
This post is intended to be a summary of the parts and labor with costs.

Acquired from the Rush Truck Center, a Peterbilt affiliate, in Yuma, Arizona.

1. King Pin Set (two king pins and their associated bearings, nuts, etc. - p/n K147E, $473.89)

2. Two Tie Rod Ends, right hand and left hand - p/ns TRE12937 and TRE12938, $65.00 each

Acquired from FindItParts.com on the internet from the Los Angeles area.

3. Four front axle airbags (air springs) - p/n 1R11-121 cross-referenced to Firestone 9441  -  $145.00 each plus $9.95 handling

Acquired from Veurink's RV Center in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

4. Drag link - p/n UT29158, "58 inch Monaco Roadmaster"  -  $1,539.00 plus $100.00 freight
      I ordered the drag link through Veurink's RV Center but I believe the Veurink's parts desk originated the part from another source - that source was not revealed to me.  I have not received a billing statement from Veurink's, so I am estimating the part's cost and freight but my credit card was billed $1,639.00.

5. All the parts were installed by Chassis Dynamics in Yuma, AZ.  Thereafter, Chassis Dynamics performed a front wheel alignment, centered the steering wheel, greased and checked the driveline and U-joints, and checked all six airbags (air springs) on the two rear axles.

The Chassis Dynamics' labor bill at $2,378.49, parts bill at $30.00, and tax less a 10% discount for cash payment was $2,173.20.