Author Topic: curbside bedroom slide does not extend completely at bottom  (Read 1578 times)

David Stump

• BAC Member
curbside bedroom slide does not extend completely at bottom
« on: January 16, 2022, 03:02:52 AM »
On my 2006 Monterey Laguna IV The curbside bedroom slide lacks 2" from extending completely at the bottom when top is fully extended.
All is well when the slide is closed although the bottom touches first and then the top follows.  It is an HWH Spacemaker Model AP28587.  I believe it is known as a "Lateral Arm" mechanism.  I can clearly see the mechanism on each side of the slide and nothing is obviously loose or broken.  No hydraulic leaks from either hydraulic cylinder.  Has anyone had this issue?  Anything to check for? 
2006 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400hp

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: curbside bedroom slide does not extend completely at bottom
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 03:13:11 AM »
Coach Assist has the service manual.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David Stump

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 04:39:14 AM »
Thanks Steve.  The guide on coach assist is for a different model though.
2006 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400hp

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 02:01:50 PM »

David
If you have no leaks and the mechanism ( chains and pins are in good shape) the adjustments made at the factory should NOT need to be touched
The system is equipped with a synconizing cylinder who's job it is to keep both cylinders working together

this synconizing cylinder only works at the full extension and full retract position to equalize the cylinders.
In order for the equalization to take place the room must be run to full extension and allowed to stall against pump pressure for two or three seconds and then run back to full retract and allowed to stall for two to three seconds it may take two or three cycles to accomplish proper sycronization  .
Over time the room may get out of sync from seal drag or operating the slides on an  uneven / unlevel  coach .

Most of us don't like to tax the pump by running the system against a stall condition but this is the way the system was designed to synchronize the two cylinders.
The synchronization should be done about once every ten or so uses or when the room does seam to open or close properly.

BEFORE MAKING ANY ADJUSTMENTS TRY SYNCONIZING FIRST !!!

Note:
 if the syncronation doesn't cure the problem take a good look at the chains and pins as they do Ware and break.

Hope this helps
Eric
[/quote]
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: David Stump

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 05:30:11 PM »
David
I have a 2006 Monterey Ventura IV.  I had the same problem with mine.  After removing the wooden trim from both sides so I could get to the mechanisms, I found that the locking nuts had backed off the adjusting nuts that align the vertical tilt.  It took considerable trial and error adjustments to get the alignment correct again.  Just a little movement on the adjusting nuts makes a big difference on the tilt.  After finally getting them adjusted to my satisfaction, I put the locking nuts back tight with a little locktite on them so they would not come back loose.  Good luck with your realignment.
Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, David Stump

David Stump

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 01:32:35 AM »
I emailed a request to HWH and they immediately sent me drawings and adjustment procedures for that model.  Good customer service.
When I pulled off the wood trim and then the aluminum backing plates behind the trim to gain full access to the arms I discovered that one of the arms had become completely unattached from the bottom of the slide out.  Jeez.  I am surprised it moved in and out at all.  At any rate the 4 holes in the aluminum slide will no longer hold the self tapping factory bolts so I ordered some the next size bigger.  Thanks for all of the help!
2006 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400hp

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 01:12:45 PM »
Wow
Is this something that other coach owners should be looking at as preventative maintenance.
Maybe you could get some pictures for us.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: David Stump

David Stump

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 12:39:10 AM »
Will do!