Author Topic: Entry window repair  (Read 1582 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Entry window repair
« on: March 11, 2022, 10:56:17 PM »
We’ve had our entry door window repaired twice for fogging.  Now, just parked by the house for over 5 years it fogged up in 2019, and the bottom seal puckered.  Kroske Glass in Bend fixed it both times, the second under warranty.  But I take it that BCS now uses someone else for glass.

My two options seem to be RV Glass Solutions in Coburg to replace the glass, and Motion Windows in Vancouver to build a whole new window at twice the cost, and I’d have to remove, measure/template and install it myself here.  We hope to finally get on the road again soon, but RV Glass Solutions is scheduling into September.  We need other work done, including rail and caps clear coat, and will have to schedule months out at Jeff Spears’ outfit or BCS and could have the glass done there in Bend then.  I reckon I could chance asking Kroske to try again under warranty, but maybe there’s a reason BCS quit using him, and I think maybe a whole new repair source is needed.

Just fishing here for others’ experience and opinions before deciding what to do with the darned thing.  Apparently neither glass outfit I’m considering does the laminated thing (unless I’ve misunderstood them), but rather the old argon gas deal because it insulates better.  By “laminated” I mean 2 or 3 sheets of tempered glass sandwiched together with no gas between, i.e. no more fogging.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 03:36:04 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
Re: Entry window repair
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 01:22:54 AM »
This is a long way to go for you
I have had great luck with Fog Doctor from Searcy Arkansas
They are a great company to work with and very reasonably priced.
You could give them a call and possibly send your window to them.
I have been told it can be a do it yourself project, RV Fog Dr. did ours in about 45 minutes while we waited. I think cleanliness and low humidity while repairing the window is paramount.
I have also contacted a couple of closer window companies and had positive response from them about our fogged door window prior to going to RV Fog Dr.
With many class A coach builders with a history in Oregon a good local company should not be to hard to find
As a side note the also do paint and body repair at a extremely reasonable price.
You can stay in your coach as they repair as they have full hookups for you while being repaired
Good luck, Bob

RV Fog Dr.
(501)278-3015
rvfogdr@rvfogdr.com
2210 Dodge Ave
Searcy Arkansas, 72143
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
just fits in the 40' shed
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 04:33:13 PM »
Joel, New View  Auto Glass does laminate glass replacement in Riverside calif. They corrected our  2 fogged bedroom windows and did an excellent job. You might call them to see if you could order a replacement and install it yourself or have it installed. Their phone number is  714-890-1347.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 09:40:28 PM »
Joel,

Unless the entry door glass is in a different category, RV Glass Solutions in Coburg, aka Coach Glass, will replace side windows with laminated or double pane. I’ve talked with them fact-to-face, they have many templates already made for the Monaco line, wouldn’t surprise me that they would have one for your entry door. It seems like they told me that they will repair your original window but highly recommended new as the original is likely etched from the moister. And yes, it is ridiculously expensive.

Check out coachglass.com, I think it’s a better website than RV Glass Solutions.

-Scott
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 01:34:18 AM »
Thanks Scott.  They are who I'd asked a quote of, $350 installed vs $700 for a whole new window - double-pane/argon glass and frame- uninstalled from Motion Windows in Vancouver.  Hopefully RV Glass Solutions installation is tougher than Kroske's.  Motion Windows supposedly makes the frame to have a better glass to frame interface, but I have to do the install, dispose of the old frame and glass, and it's 3+ months out.  RV Glass is scheduling into Sept.  Not looking forward to traveling this summer with no visibility thru that window.  BCS I guess can do it in June using their new glass company, but will need a template and lead time.

Are you saying that Coburg said they could do laminated?  Cause I thought they indicated they only did gas-filled... it insulates better.  But heck, the adjacent, huge one-piece windshield is hardly that.

Thanks Bryan, if Auto Glass Riverside does laminated and shipping is reasonable I would consider that.

Bob, Arkansas's a bit too far away.  I've heard Fog Dr. is indeed a good outfit.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 03:07:11 AM »
Coach Glass in Coburg (RV Glass Solutions), 800) 714-7171.

Maybe they only do insulated for entry doors, it’s been a while and I don’t remember if I specifically asked about the entry door. I know they do laminated for side glass. I’ve been there and talked to them face-to-face, saw their operation and all of the templates.

From their website.

Select Products->Recreational Vehicles

Scroll down to “RV Side Glass Windows”

Our selection of recreational vehicle side glass is available in both laminated and insulated glass units. Coach Glass’ laminated side windows feature a lifetime warranty against fogging (something you won’t find anywhere else in the industry). Request a quote and we’ll get you covered—on all sides.

-Scott
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 12:24:36 PM »
Hi Joel
I just want to let you know that There is a company in Phoenix called “Glass Boss” and they travel to the larger FMCA shows.  They pull, rebuild, replace and reseal all right in your spot.  Last charge we saw was $100. Per window panel.
They replaced about half dozen for us and did our last coach too.  None have ever had a problem again.
The reasoning they gave me was the metal strip used by most companies is the culprit.  It reacts to the heat differently than both the glass and the seal so it slowly tears itself loose.
Only complaint I have had with them is how busy they get at FMCA rallies.
Hope this helps.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!