General Boards > Sources for Suppliers, Parts and Maintenance Materials

Alternator - Adding 2nd Alternator Advice

(1/2) > >>

Brent Harte:
I have a 2001 Beaver Monterey SeaCliff  with Cat Engine,  I would appreciate any info on adding a 2nd alternator,  Eg:  Type, Wiring, Sources, Shops to Install.  I live in AZ.  Also GOOD IDEA, or BAD IDEA.

Steve Huber Co-Admin:
Brent,
Why do you want to add a 2nd alternator? What problem are you trying to solve?
Steve

Brent Harte:
Trying to leave the chassis + house battery and factory electric system, (including inverter) FACTORY ORIGINAL.  Adding lithium + additional split phase inverter to run 50 amp panel.  Would use additional alternator to charge lithium.

Steve Huber Co-Admin:
Brent,
I'm confused (as usual). If you are leaving the house/chassis batteries & inverter/charger intact and adding the lithiums along with an added inverter/charger, what purpose do the original house batteries serve? Also do you plan to run both inverter/chargers off shore power?
IMHO seems like you could buy a lot of wet cells or agms for the $ you will probably spend on your intended setup.
Steve

Fred Brooks:
   Brent,
Another option would be to add a 50amp DC to DC charger to keep the existing alternator and charge the new lithium from the chassis batteries. No hassle trying to mount a second alternator. Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version