Author Topic: hurricane woes  (Read 1385 times)

Michael DeFalco

hurricane woes
« on: March 22, 2022, 12:25:44 PM »
had the flame out condition show up, pulled burner apart cleaned out the heavy soot build up, in combustion chamber and in the blast tube, reassembled and i see a yellow flame and get flame out in seconds.  any ideas why this may be ,   nozzle, air ???
thanks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: hurricane woes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 02:10:35 PM »
   Michael,
Have you looked at the trouble shooting guide in coach assist? Have you changed the hidden fuel filter behind the compartment back wall? Do you hear the fuel pump clicking when you first turn it on? Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 02:18:43 PM »
Micheal
The yellow / orange flame is caused by incomplete combustion either too much fuel poor atomization ( bad nozzle) or lack of air to the burner.
Your description of the fault sounds like a lack of air for combustion creating a lazy yellow/ orange flame witch does not create enough light for the flame sensor to recognize causing a system shut down.
The Hurricane units use a compressor to provide the air for the combustion chamber that compressor has a small inline air filter which could be partially plugged causing your problem.
Check the compressor for operation if memory serves me right  I believe the out out pressure on that compressor would be 10 to 12 psi .
You will likely have to clean the flame sensor as well because the orange flame creates a lot of soot
While you have the burner apart check the nozzle spray pattern it should be a nice fine mist in a cone shaped pattern.

There is a manual in the Coach assist section of the forum that can help you through trouble shooting.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Michael DeFalco

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 11:55:19 PM »
no have not checked the fuel filter , i did not see one at the heater so i added an inline one. u say there is a hidden filter??
that maybe the issue it seems the fuel supply not adequate. 

Michael DeFalco

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 12:00:45 AM »
eric , i think cleaning the photo eye would be needed as it was sooted up ! the compressor is operating but not sure of the pressure its providing ! i believe i may be starving the burner , i need to locate the factory filter as my next move 
thanks   for the info

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 12:24:55 AM »
    Michael,
As I stated earlier, you have to crawl under the compartment and then look up at the backside of the compartment to see the inline filter. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Michael DeFalco

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 11:42:15 AM »
oh boy Fred that sounds like a treat!   thank you so much for that info. its invaluable stuff  !!