Author Topic: Outfitting a Tow Vehicle  (Read 2187 times)

Paul Haaf

• Paul H
  • BAC Member
  • Excited Beaver Owner!
Outfitting a Tow Vehicle
« on: May 03, 2022, 02:13:41 PM »
We just purchased a 2014 Cadillac SRX to add as a tow vehicle. The color is an great match to our 2006 Monterey!
I am looking for advice from the incredibly experienced users on this forum.
The MH came with a Blue OX tow bar. I have no idea when it was last used.
I see a base plate for this vehicle listed and am considering order it as a starting point.
I am pretty handy so I think I can handle the installation.

I need  help on braking systems and connecting lights/aux power.

I would appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction to do this safely and allowing for the easiest setup and operations.
2006 Monterey-Ventura-IV 36'
CAT C9 400HP - Allison 3000

2014 Cadillac SRX
Demco Air Force One

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Outfitting a Tow Vehicle
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 03:20:34 PM »
Paul,
If the coach has a Blue Ox Tow bar, then it will mate with a Blue Ox base plate. Be sure to use Lock Tite on the bolts that attach it to the frame. The tow receptacle on the coach is probably already wired for lights, etc so you'll just need to verify the connections with a meter. A SRX owner/member should be able to give you info on brake systems and need for battery power to toad.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 04:05:29 PM »
Paul
Be sure to follow the dingy towing instructions in your toed vehicles manual

The blue ox tow bar is a good place to start you will also need a blue ox base plate for the car as well as one or more of the following
1) tow safety cables ( if they aren't with the tow bar already)
2)  an electrically umbilical intervehicle cable for lights and battery charge functions etc.( If it's not already with the tow bar
3) most states require the toed vehicle to have a supplemental brake system
4) OPTIONAL but I think it is a must have is a brake indicator in the coach to let you know when the toed brakes are applied
5) OPTIONAL again I believe it's a must have is  TPMS (tire pressure monitor system ) which covers both the coach and the toed
6) OPTIONAL good to have a charge line kit to keep the toed battery charged from the coach while towing.
7)refer to your vehicle manual for dingy towing ( some require the key be in the on position to unlock the steering wheel this usually requires a fuse be removed to avoid battery drain and other issues .again this should be discribed in the Caddilac manual.

The tow cables and electrical umbilical cable can be bought as a package deal from Roadmaster
1)
https://www.amazon.ca/Roadmaster-9243-1-Tow-Bar-Combo/dp/B00C5IIG5G

The tow brake can be chosen from several on the market I personally use the Demco Air Force One because it ties into the coach air brakes and is simple to use just hookup the tow bar and connect an air line and away you go no need to put anything in or out of the car every time you want to use it.
2)
https://www.demco-products.com/rv-towing/supplemental-brakes/air-force-one

Tow brake monitoring system from Roadmaster
3)
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Roadmaster/RM-9530.html

Charge line kit
4)
https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/charge_lines.php

Fuse switch setup if required
5)
https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/electrical/fusemaster.php

Hope this helps
Eric

1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Paul Haaf

• Paul H
  • BAC Member
  • Excited Beaver Owner!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 11:59:01 AM »
Thank you both for the responses, I really appreciate the helpful links.
Lots to research on this.
I found a custom connector on Blue OX made by Curt for light controls. I don't think I need to pull fuses on the SRX.
I have to confirm what I have in the MH for the Tow Bar and cables/connectors.

I am curious what the Demco system needs on the RV? Air brake controller of some sort?
There is a Tekonsha controller installer in the MH that I need to learn more about.

Fitting the research in around my work schedule, thus the delay in responding!

Thanks again

2014 Cadillac SRX
Demco Air Force One

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 12:56:47 PM »
Paul
Demco sends everything you will need to tie their system into the coach .
The system has a small stand alone air tank with a relay valve attached requiring you to connect two lines to the coach one for supply air and the other a pill line these  both tee in at the rear brake relay valve on the coach .
From there all you need to do is mount the air coupler at the rear of the coach and run an air line from the new tank tongue coupler.
the First reason I like this system is it provides true proportional braking based on the driver's input so the tow vehicle braking matches the coach braking  unlike the electric systems which use a time based system which ram up the braking power over a time period . The time based system are hard on tow vehicle brakes on those long down hills or any time your on the brakes for more than 15 or 20 seconds.

The SECOND reason I like this set up I it isolates the coach system from the tow vehicle meaning if you break the air line connected between the two vehicles it does not effect the coach brakes .
BTW this is a DOT rule which some of the other air systems don't follow.

the Third reason I like this system is it has a vacuum generator built into the tow vehicle side which keeps vacuum on the brake booster so the brakes on the toed are being used as designed not just overpowering a dead booster .which is hard on the brake booster and requires more effort from the toed vehicle brake actuator resulting in stress on the brake pedal and linkage.
The Demco system have an active brake booster alleviating this problem.

Hope this helps
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Paul Haaf

• Paul H
  • BAC Member
  • Excited Beaver Owner!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 12:46:17 AM »
Eric, thank you very much for the detailed explanation of the Demco system. You have me convinced that I should go this route.

I will watch all the videos this weekend.

What can you tell me about the Wireless Coach Link, it seems to add considerable cost, is it a better alternative than the Road Master option previously mentioned in earlier replies?

I put a hitch on the SRX today and now have our bike rack ready to go. Working from the back forward!

The baseplate may be here tomorrow:)

2014 Cadillac SRX
Demco Air Force One

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2022, 03:44:13 AM »
I installed the Air Force One to tow my F150 and so far it's worked great. There was a special adapter to tap into the vacuum line
without having to cut the rigid preformed plastic Ford designed in - well worth the extra expense. Not sure if that's an issue on your vehicle.

I also have wireless coachlink which I really like. I travel solo and it really helps with pre-trip brake check and gives me piece of mind the
brake is actually being depressed when is should be.
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 12:46:50 PM »
For anyone interested there’s a 10 minute factory tour of all USA-built Roadmaster here:
https://roadmasterinc.com/

Our tow setup is all Roadmaster including their Brakemaster air brake.  They’ve since come out with the Invisibrake system which I’d consider if doing the outfitting again.  We’re fortunate that they are so near our home, so upgrades, retrofits, inspections, clean & lubes… it’s great having the expert install and advice.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 01:38:23 PM »
Paul
I can't speak to much about the Demco coach link as I have never installed or used one and  reading their install manual doesn't give much on the user end.

The air force one setup comes with an LED light bar that mounts to the rear view mirror of the toed vehicle which is connects to the Reed switch at the air cylinder , I installed mine but in the rear view camera you just can't make out weather the light is on or off because of the glare from the windshield.

I can tell you this the Roadmaster unit installs exactly the same way
The only difference I can see is the Roadmaster unit alerts you in the event of a break away .
It also alerts you if the toed vehicles brakes have been applied too long ( like going down hill for ever) or sitting at a stop light for an extended period.

On my coach I've had the break away switch cable pull too tight on a tight turn poping out the break away pin and activating the brake system when this happened the wireless unit had an alarm immediately to tell that it had a break away without this I wouldn't have known immediately and may have drug it with all the brakes locker up causing tire flat spots.

Someone else may be able to give first hand experience with the coach link .
I am very happy with the road master monitor it has worked flawlessly for more than 6000 miles of towing
It also seams somewhat smaller than the coach link taking up less valuable space on the dash.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Paul Haaf

• Paul H
  • BAC Member
  • Excited Beaver Owner!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 03:59:49 AM »
Hi All, I am just back from a weekend in the coach with no towed vehicle:(
Actually we had our e-bikes and had a great ride on Saturday so it was no problem;)

I landed on the Air Force One, with no Coachlink. Sorry Roadmaster fans, but the glowing review of Eric and a neighbor who has one, convinced me to go that route.

Gene thank you for the pointer on the booster, I will look into it on the SRX.

I hope to tackle the installation this week or over the weekend. I am a bit nervous about connecting to the coach air lines and if anyone has pictures to share of these connections I would greatly appreciate any further advice.

I am also going to try and used the Brake conducter within the 6-7 pin harness to activate an LED on the dash of the MH. I agree the LED over a camera seems pretty useless. Hopefully this will double as a brake away indicator as well, no light, no tow?

I will keep the post going, in hopes it is useful to others.

2014 Cadillac SRX
Demco Air Force One

Paul Haaf

• Paul H
  • BAC Member
  • Excited Beaver Owner!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 09:52:22 PM »
I am glad to update this post. We have completed two trips flat towing a 2014 Cadillac SRX.

I completed the installation of the baseplate and light controls before Memorial Day. The Demco Air Force one went in that weekend. The coach side was not as bad as I anticipated. A call to Demco with a review of my pictures, assured me I was cutting the correct brake lines and the installation went very smoothly. The SUV side was actually more challenging, especially routing the air line and electrical wires thru the firewall. I had to take apart the center console to access a gasket that had a perfect spot for passing thru. The other hard part was getting up under the pedals to properly install the activator on the brake pedal and then screwing the anchor to the firewall, I was sore a few days from the contorted moves I made doing so!
I tied in a wire to send +12vdc back thru the 6 pin harness brake conductor. I rewired that from the old dash mounted brake controller and installed an LED in the dash that lights when the brakes are applied. This is addition to the LED mounted on the SUV rear view mirror as per the Demco installation. That LED is very hard to see in the rear view camera.

I would estimate it was a good 20 hours of installation time. After 14 years of Rving it is awesome to have the freedom to leave the Motorhome at the campground!

Any questions please drop me a message. I will be glad to share any advice I can.

2014 Cadillac SRX
Demco Air Force One

Anand Shah

• BAC Member
  • 2007 Marquis Lapis 45, C15 600HP
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 02:00:03 AM »
Time to change your signature!   
Anand and Shilpa Shah
2007 Beaver Marquis Lapis 45 "BeaverBus"
Cat C-15 600HP
Towing 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 03:24:48 AM »
Congratulations. Getting all that installed is quite a chore. On the upside you  now know how everything is hooked up in case something goes wrong. I had a darned mouse (or chipmunk) chew thru my air hose on the F150 side not long after installation. But having installed it myself I knew exactly what to fix and how in short order. Had some left over tubing with me and always carry some spare air fittings (another lesson learned the hard way).

-Gene
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Paul Haaf

• Paul H
  • BAC Member
  • Excited Beaver Owner!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2022, 02:11:54 PM »
I will get my signature updated today!

We were out over the long weekend. What a game changer having a tow vehicle! Picked up food for a little party at the campsite and took some really nice road trips thru Shelburne Falls area in MA.

I did learn something to be careful of...
The SRX break pedals adjust, so depending on the last driver, they need to be set out all the way or the activation light stays on way longer than necessary. The pedal is not depressed but the sensor still sees it is in. One more item for the preflight check list!

2014 Cadillac SRX
Demco Air Force One