Author Topic: Headlight Replacement  (Read 21617 times)

Tom and Pam Brown

Headlight Replacement
« on: August 23, 2011, 07:24:09 PM »
Even after replacing my headlights they are still not very bright unless I use the high beams.

Has anybody replaced with newer style bulbs and where can you purchase them that are direct replacements?

Any suggestions on how to brighten up my world?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:16:19 AM by 14 »

George H. Wall

Re: Headlight Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:06:06 PM »
I had the same problem, tried brighter bulbs, etc. to no avail. The guys @ Beaver Sales in Bend put some type of booster to inc. the voltage to the lights which solved the problem. Henry

JimCasazze

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
I believe there are some posts on this forum dealing with the dim headlight issue.  If I remember this has something to due with the size of the wire and length of the run from the batteries.  

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 10:48:58 PM »
The issue is that the headlight wiring passes thru the Smart Wheel . Use this link to add relays ,high/low beams ,to the existing circuit and your headlights will be amazingly bright.
 http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:19:41 PM by 4115 »

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 10:57:31 PM »
I do not have the smart wheel on my coach.....

Just a standard headlight switch. But thanks anyway

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:06:54 PM »
Quote from: Jeremy Parrett
The issue is that the headlight wiring passes thru the Smart Wheel . Use this link to add a solenoid to the existing circuit and your headlights will be amazingly bright.
 http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

I hope you're kidding!  I can't believe the wiring that actually lights the headlights goes through the Smart Wheel.  Headlights should be powered through a high current relay...not through a headlight switch.  I try not to drive at night, so I don't know how bright mine are.  I will check though for a relay.

Gil
08 Contessa

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 01:07:28 AM »
Will be interested to hear what you find Gil, as I am also 2008 Contessa.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:14:35 AM by 14 »

Keith Oliver

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 09:42:06 PM »
Tom:
98 Contessa, same dim headlights.  Mine were a "sealed beam" standard size, so any auto parts store has the halogen bulbs in the standard size replacement lamp.  $75 did the pair, at my local Lordco Parts. Much brighter.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
Be careful there, Keith.  Halogens draw significantly more current through wiring designed for lesser lamps.  I burned up a headlight switch on my old coach doing just what you did.

As Gil mentioned, a relay is best, and most are so constructed.  But you may need to replace the relay-to-lamp wires, relay-to-fuse wires, and perhaps more to get the proper sized wires and fuses to handle halogens.  You could be driving along one night and be suddenly plunged into darkness as a component fries on you.

Seems there was discussion on this in the past where someone supplied a link to a fellow's website where he sells kits for resolving the issue, and many commented that it did the job.  Can anyone on the Forum supply the link again for Tom?

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 10:17:54 PM »
Thanks Joel I searched for a link but did not find it before I posted.

I also tried halogen with not much success just a hair brighter.

Les Marzec

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 03:17:50 AM »
Has anyone had Beaver Sales in Bend do their headlight circuit modification?  I am planning on having mine done next week and was wondering what results anyone has had.  It is my understanding that they will replace the two relays with one and the voltage at the headlights will be 12.0 volts.

Thanks

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 06:20:29 AM »
Found it!  Problem is, while the boss is on vacation for the next month the website is of little use.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Cooper

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »
This older link may be a little more help http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html. It provides a reasonable explanation. You might want to try to reach out to Roy Mueller he has corrected the issue on several coaches including ours.
Good luck

George H. Wall

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 03:20:18 PM »
Lester, As stated in post # 1 on this page, I have had the guys at Beaver Sales install relays in my coach.  Henry

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 08:31:26 PM »
Quote from: Keith Cooper
This older link may be a little more help http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html. It provides a reasonable explanation. You might want to try to reach out to Roy Mueller he has corrected the issue on several coaches including ours.
Good luck

The data in this link is pretty good.  As you can see, this is not a hard modification for anyone with elementary electrical skills to accomplish.  The only thing I would say is, that you do not and should not connect directly to the alternator.  The high current feed to the relays should go to the battery.  Given that most of our coaches may have the main DC distribution panel near the front of their coach, I would recommend connecting to the main DC feed for the relays to the DC distribution panel.  This is where the fuse, or better yet resettable circuit breaker, would also be installed.

It still boggles my mind to think anyone installed headlamps directly powered from a switch.  Headlight relays have been in used for many decades in the automotive industry.

Gil
08 Contessa
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:13:58 AM by 14 »