Author Topic: battery bank  (Read 1347 times)

Dan Johnson

• BAC Member
battery bank
« on: May 24, 2022, 11:01:46 PM »
The main positive cable coming from the main terminal to the battery bank is too short. Can  I move it to the left battery?

_1____  -        _2____  -        3____-    The right negative is the main post going to ground
+_____           +_____            +____

_4____-         5______-          6_____-
 +____           +_____            +_____  The right positive is the main post going to the coach.   

If I could move the positive cable to the left battery the cable would be long enough to get the battery tray all the way out. I know the drawing is primitive but I don't know how to post a picture.

Thank for the help.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 02:12:51 PM by Dan Johnson »
2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald
Cat C-12
Nebraska

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: battery bank
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 11:43:21 PM »
    Dan,
Does your battery tray configuration look like this? Why is the positive cable too short? Is it caught on something behind the tray? If you start relocating cables you could unbalance the batteries or worse yet short out cables and start a fire. If you go to coach assist there is place to show how to reduce photos to under 300kb. please post a picture of your set up. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Dan Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 01:40:12 PM »
My battery set up is like yours except the main negative cable is on the far right battery. I want to put the main positive cable on the lower right battery.  It would be like yours only in reverse. I will work on a picture.
Cat C-12
Nebraska

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 01:53:43 PM »
Dan
As Fred pointed out  if you move the positive cable to the position you want the battery bank will not charge evenly .
The cables for best results should be at opposite ends of the battery bank .

Do you have enough slack on the negative cable to move it to the other end of the bank as well to keep the cables at opposite ends of the battery bank?

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Dan Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 02:17:09 PM »
Eric

Yes I have enough cable to move negative cable to upper right battery which would be like Fred's set up. But my positive cable is still short. If I could put my positive cable on the lower left battery problem solved.
Cat C-12
Nebraska

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 03:38:34 PM »
     Dan, As Eric shared with you, the positive and negative connections have to be at each diagonally end so the batteries charge evenly. Your other choice is to buy a 3/0 cable to extend your positive cable, replace the cable with a new one of the same gauge. You could remove all the batteries and rotate them 180 degrees so that the positive cable to the coach is the inner left connection, and the negative is the outer right (opposite of my set up) If you consider that, take a picture before you do anything. Please be careful. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Dan Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 10:52:02 PM »
I got things switched around.  All is working well including  the new digital echo charger. Thanks for all the help.
Dan
Cat C-12
Nebraska
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks