Author Topic: Low Voltage Warning on Aladdin System ---UPDATE---  (Read 2739 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Low Voltage Warning on Aladdin System ---UPDATE---
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2022, 11:33:54 PM »
Steve, most coaches of our era with original 120v/propane units have two 120v outlets in the back fridge access.  One is for the fridge’s ice maker and the other for the fridge itself.  They are on separate circuits. 

The fridge is on the 50 amp Main circuit breaker panel box rather than the 30 amp Secondary circuit breaker “Inverter” box because the fridge’s draw would otherwise invert down the house batteries faster than any other device.  See photo below.  On the highway or dry camped the fridge runs on gas, and the ice maker is out of commission unless the inverter is on.  Turning on the inverter will run the ice maker since it is on the 30 amp panel, but to protect the battery charge it won’t run the potentially higher current fridge, which will stay on gas only.  On our coach the icemaker is on the same “inverter” circuit as the living room streetside and front audio/video outlets.

On the highway or dry camped you can always run the generator to supply the 50 amp panel and therefore the 30 amp panel that’s “downstream” of it.  Assuming your 2006 has a Magnum inverter, you should read the manual about how to use the Remote for it.  It has AGS, automatic generator start, that can, while dry camped, kick the genset on (1) when the house batteries get to a set low voltage point (keep in mind your batteries are fully charged at about 13.4v and half dIscharged at 12v), (2) when the interior thermostats call for the air conditioners to come on because it got too hot inside, say for when you’re gone and a pet’s inside, and (3) when you want it on in the morning or off at park “quiet time”.  My AGS was always funky so I’ve never used it, but many here successfully do. 

The Remote should also be adjusted each time you change your park power source, as David advised;  the inverter’s electronics are designed to help keep you from overdrawing circuits, so it’s ill advised to leave it set at the last park post’s 50 amp when setting up camp on a 20 amp outlet.  Conversely, plugging into a 30 or 50 amp post while the Remote is set on 20 can mean premature shutdowns.  Now I must admit here that we’ve been awhile out of the coach, so I willingly defer to others reading this that for Steve’s sake might want to toss in a correction to my ramblings.

If needed, I believe there may be manuals available for both your inverter and your Remote panel amongst those in the Club’s “Coach Assist” section under the Technicals menu.  Ask here if you don’t know how to navigate there yet.  Manuals might also be available via the Magnum Energy website.  Remotes are in different models that look alike, so you’ll have to determine which you have;  offering a wild guess, likely the ME-ARC.  A perusal of any one manual should help though.   https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/magnum-remote-controls

Joel
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 11:50:17 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Low Voltage Warning on Aladdin System ---UPDATE---
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2022, 12:30:07 AM »
A possible correction on Joel's message:

Joel entered "(keep in mind your batteries are fully charged at about 13.4v and half discharged at 12v)".

I would say "keep in mind your batteries are fully charged at about 12.65v and half discharged at 12.1v".

When seeing a charge status above 12.65v, you are seeing either a short-lived surface charge or the voltage supplied by a charger, not the battery voltage.  That is what you are seeing when the generator or shore power is ON... 13.7v, or when the C-13 is running... 14.1v.  Those higher voltages, 13.7v and 14.1v, are the charge voltages being pushed into the batteries by the inverter and engine alternator, respectively.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 12:34:20 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!