General Boards > Technical Support

replacing brake lines on a 1998 Beaver Patriot Savannah.

(1/5) > >>

Carl Boger:
Can anyone tell me what is involved in replacing the brake lines running to the rear brakes on my 1998 Patriot Savannah. 

My Coach is at my diesel mechanic's now because it has been loosing brake fluid, and a rear axle seal leak.  Well the axle seal has been replaced, but there seems to be a leak in the brake line that apparently runs over the fuel tank.  I am not there right now so I can not verify exactly how everything is run.

Any way the mechanic doesn't have a pit or lift so he is not interested in working on the brakes.  I am trying to figure out what is involved in changing out the lines.  Can they be accessed from the side panels and storage areas where they run along the frame rails? 

I understand from a earlier post that the lines switch from metal lines to rubber lines several times.  Are these connections flare fittings that can be unscrewed, or are they mechanical fittings that will need to be made at a hydraulic shop?

Eric I saw in the earlier post that you listed the part numbers for the needed rubber lines.  Any idea which line is running over the fuel tank, or more importantly how to replace it and the others.

Thanks everyone.

Tom Chace:
Hi Carl,

A few years ago I replaced all break lines in my monterey

I purchased 50' of the brake line, fittings, a flare tool and line tubing bender.
It was time consuming
The rubber hoses at the wheels were available at advanced auto too, bring them to match them.
If you can find a concrete slab and a crawler, the job will be much easier and quicker.

Going over or around the fuel tank is not a problem.
I made sure (except once out of two) to leave a solid line through the storage compartments, had a small leak too.

As far as difficulty, it wasn't too bad. Taking your time will be worth it. just a lot of ups and downs - hence the crawler, concrete floor.

The toughest part is at the master cylinder, it is behind the l/f tire on the monterey. poor planning on beavers part- i think.

Good luck

Tom

Eric Maclean:
Carl
As tom said the rear line runs inside the driver's side frame rail from just ahead of the fuel tank all the way to the rear axle area
There is a rubber flex line that connects from the steel line over the the master cylinder and another flex line at the rear that drops  down the the H frame for the rear brakes where it tees off to go to each rear wheel and arch rear caliper has its own flex line from  the H frame to the caliper.
The best way to replace the steel line as tom stated is to use a roll of line and flare it yourself that way you can replace it as a one piece line limiting the number of connections .

The truth is the line runs inside the cargo bays for most of its run and is only exposed to the elements ( rust  ) for a short run at the front and rear .
The rear section just outside of the cargo bays is only about a foot long but is way up there and hard to reach if it looks ok you might be able to replace only 6 foot section over the fuel tank with a premade line by cutting the old line above the propane tank and flaring and new end on the old line and a line union to connect to the new line over the fuel tank.

While your there take a good look at those flex lines remember they are 24 years old .

On my coach I took the opertunity to replace all the brake lines both steel and all the rubber flex lines.

Hope this helps
Eric

Carl Boger:
Thanks Tom and Eric,

This is kind of what I was hoping for.  I hope to at least get it patched up soon since I have a trip planned for next weekend.  After that I will not be going out in the RV for 2 months so I will use that time to address all the lines.  It was only 96 degrees here today, so perfect time to do a job like this.

Thanks Again.

Eric Maclean:
Carl
If your going to do a quick fix for the section over the fuel tank
The only real spot to get to the existing line is to get yourself up between the propane tank and the front H beam it's a tight squeeze but doable easiest done by raising the front end and put it on jack stands to get as much room under there as possible.
The flair and union can be made over the propane where there is room to work .
You will find with the gen slide out the connection from steel line to rubber flex line is located in the driver's side frame rail just at and above the gen set slide ( be sure to get the right connection as there are two there one for the fronts a d one for the rear.

Before you get in too deep first make sure the rear caliper bleeder screws aren't siezed.

Hope this helps
Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version