General Boards > General Discussion

HWY #190 or not

(1/1)

Eric Maclean:
Hi guys I'm looking for a little advise .
Karen and i are headed west this winter and are looking to come bad east from Bakersfield CA up through lake Isabella and over to death valley junction via Hwy #190 in the middle of February .
My question is : is this route doable in mid February or at all with forty feet of motorhome or is the road not good and is snow and road conditions likely to be an issue.

Thanks in advance
Eric

Bill Lampkin:
Eric, I thnk 190 is closed to motorhomes; tight curves and 7-8% grades over and over again. Snow in February.

Bryan Beamon:
Eric, we have taken highway 190 from the junction of 395 to death valley junction in our previous Beaver 97 Patriot in the winter . The road is good but steep but very doable. The grades are between 6 and 7%. As always check for current weather as flash floods and wind can happen in that area. We visit my wife's sister often in Tecopa hot springs. Hope to meet you on the road someday.

Eric Maclean:
Thanks guys
I think as we are planning to be there right in the middle of February we will avoid the possibility of bad weather play it safe and come back from San Diego through Barstow and up into Death Valley that way on way past Vegas and on towards Zion.
I'm sure there's lots to see regardless of which way we go.
Thanks again
Eric

Bill Lampkin:
https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-media/programs/traffic-operations/documents/trucks/busmap-d09-a11y.pdf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version