Author Topic: Alladin Shore Power  (Read 1660 times)

Dennis Campbell

Alladin Shore Power
« on: July 01, 2022, 03:28:32 PM »
Hi All,
I Have looked at the forums but unable to find this topic.
When plugged into shore power, Aladdin says no power selected and shows no voltage even though its there. On the other hand, generator shows power on Aladdin as it should. Where would be a good place to start looking? Im pretty sure the storage unit where I plug it is wired correctly, but short of going to a park to plug it into another source, is there a way to test to 30 amp receptacle in the storage unit to ensure its correctly wired?

Thanks,
Dennis

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Alladin Shore Power
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 05:16:16 PM »
On our coach, the aladdin gets its a/c info from the transfer switch. There is a small circuit board in the tx switch that takes the small voltage output from the ct's (a/c module) current transformers, or little donuts around the line wires) and sends it to an aladdin network card via a phone cable. You might check this phone cable on both ends by unplugging and plugging it in several times. The aladdin network card is located in the bay just forward of the drive axle (on our coach). Have you tried resetting the aladdin via the reset switch?
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Dennis Campbell

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 05:41:39 PM »
Thanks Bill, I will look into that. Yes, i have reset the Aladdin.  Odd that it registers  while on gen, but I will find the telephone lines and unplug/clean all i the area.

Thanks again!
Dennis

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 09:18:07 PM »
If you have a small generator and a pigtail, you could plug the shore power cord into it and see if your Aladdin shows power - just a thought... that is, assuming you don't have a portable surge protector or multitester to test your shore power receptacle for proper wiring.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 10:07:39 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 10:10:24 PM »
Gentlemen, maybe I’m confused about this aftermarket code reader but it seems that the
power source for the Alladin is through the caterpillar diagnostic ET test data port. My question
is this there will be no data coming from the engine ECM when engine is not running. The next
part to this connection to the diagnostic data port there are (4) 12volt wires along one wire for key on/off that are connected to the engine ECM not fused. Yes, the diagnostic test port from caterpillar
stand point is to be used connection for caterpillar ET and nothing else. Running power to the
engine ECM and having a component fail will also take out your engine ECM of which has happened
to several motorhomes. I’m just relating where it is not a recommended practice in service manual.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 10:48:47 PM »
Dennis,
There are small coils in the transfer switch that sense voltage on each leg. Do a search on this.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dennis Campbell

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 06:55:00 PM »
Thanks for all that contributed to the conversation! I will look into the possible solutions and report back when I find the problem.
Thanks again, Dennis

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 06:31:15 PM »
Dennis,

Based on your first post, it appears that your coach has the original TRC Surge Guard 40250 transfer switch. Can you please verily this.

You said, “When plugged into shore power, Aladdin says no power selected and shows no voltage even though its there.”

How are you verifying that there is AC power in the coach? Make sure that the inverter is off, or you may see erroneous readings. Do your air conditioners work when connected to shore power?

"No AC Power Selected" on the Aladdin screen is actually an error message and indicates that your transfer switch has detected an error condition and has rejected the incoming AC power. This error can be internal to the transfer switch or due to the AC power not meeting the transfer switch parameters. When this occurs, the transfer switch should disconnect the coach from AC power.

From the Aladdin troubleshooting guide:
Aladdin Status Message: NO AC POWER SELECTED
Cause: The ATS has elected not to apply power to the coach due to an error condition or a required delay period.

The TRC 40250 ATS is capable of relaying multiple Status Messages, including error messages. Unlike the actual TRC Surge Guard monitor, the Aladdin interface can display only one message line at a time (the last one received). To view additional error messages, you need to watch the Aladdin screen during the time-delay phase, if anomalies are detected error messages should display during this period.

Turn the shore power off, then have a helper turn it back on while you watch the Aladdin screen to see if any additional error messages are displayed during the time-delay phase.

It could be helpful if you can post images of the Aladdin screen, both with shore power applied and with shore power disconnected.

Check out Coach Assist for the Aladdin trouble-shooting document, discussion related to the TRC 20450 ATS and the Aladdin interface (ASTM) starts on the middle of page 8. Error messages and possible causes follow. Ignore the section about the AC Interface, the ACI is for the previous version of the Aladdin interface.

-Scott
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 09:42:38 AM by Scott Shearer »
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Dennis Campbell

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 03:07:24 PM »
Thank you Scott, very comprehensive analyses there!

Dennis