Author Topic: Generator AC leg inputs high  (Read 3161 times)

Anand Shah

• BAC Member
  • 2007 Marquis Lapis 45, C15 600HP
Re: Generator AC leg inputs high
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2022, 05:31:22 AM »
Updating this thread for future folks looking for answers.   Turns out the transfer switch was bad and apparently I caused it with my Lithium install.  Noticed that the power was fluctuating on generator and shore after putting a new transfer switch, and the culprit was that the inverter was sending as much charge to the 1200AH of Lithiums I installed would take.  This was putting at times 150A+ at 12V, regardless of input Amps.   Started removing individual loads to diagnose the issues and it was the charger on the inverter that solved it.  I guess it isn't only the Alternator one needs to worry about.

Have limited the charging amps now to 60A on the Magnum 2812 and may have solved my problem.   I'm pretty certain I damaged the old TS, but will have it tested when I get home.

On a side note, thank you for all the park recommendations.   They do pack em in tight.  We stayed at a nice amusement park campground called Calaway - only 30A but kids (10 and 7) loved it.

Anand
Anand and Shilpa Shah
2007 Beaver Marquis Lapis 45 "BeaverBus"
Cat C-15 600HP
Towing 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2022, 02:47:43 PM »
    Glad you figured it out! These kinds of issues can make your head spin and discourage the whole RV experience! Even better, thank you for sharing with us the whole adventure. Marquis do not normally like boondocking, but you have soldiered on and made the best of the situation and those who have followed this thread have learned from your experience. Blessings & Joy my friend! Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2022, 04:16:07 PM »
Glad you were able to figure it out and also get the parts you needed. Not easy task, especially now, while on the road. Thanks for taking the time to update the forum.

When I installed my lithiums I disabled the alternator coach battery charge feature and set the AC input current limit to limit charger current to about 120A into my 600hr install. I've always had the habit of turning off the inverter when changing an AC input (on or off). It always seemed a little extreme to me (since it should be designed to be reliably able to operate that way) but after hearing your story I think you reinforced that behavior. Sometimes I also open the storage bay doors by the inverter to get better airflow at the inverter if batteries are very low and it's going to take several hrs to charge.

BTW, I recently completed a week of dry camping and was really happy with my lithium upgrade. I would run the geni 2-3 hr/day to charge batteries (usually mid day or late PM as it got warm outside so would also run A/C). I was able to easily run on battery until the next day running pretty much any inverter loads I wanted without issues (electronics, microwave, coffee pot, etc). Never used more than 300-400Ahr in a 24hr period.
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Anand Shah

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2022, 03:34:13 AM »
Thank you all for the input.   New transfer switch isn’t working on Genset now (agh) and I’m boondocked for 5 days in Banff.  On top of that limited hours allowed for using Gen sets anyways. Putting the Marquis to a boondock challenge for sure.   I have 36 hours to go and have started regulating fridge hours and water… 1200 AH is not enough to last for 5 days without concern and Solar isn’t doing the job in the valleys.

@gene your advice is appreciated on both opening doors and limits. 

Anand and Shilpa Shah
Cat C-15 600HP

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2022, 12:02:09 AM »
I'm not sure what the problem really is with the genset, because we boondocked in the Lake Louise overflow, and after I hurt my leg wet-wading and flyfishing the Bow, we were there for nearly 2 weeks while I healed.  Yes we were in an open area, but our solar is only 100w so we ran the generator once a day for 2 hours, and managed just fine.  That adventure was followed by several days at Mosquito Creek without hookups (photo below).  Given the surroundings and the fun I had flyfishing, it made for unforgettable memories.  Just wish I'd had my GoPro then, and maybe a drone  ;D.

Learn to manage your appliances, i.e. know what each uses in amps, and relax;  you can't beat the environment there.  It's no place to carry worrys around in.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2022, 01:38:45 AM »
   Anand,
Did you check the circuit breaker located on the generator? Sometimes if the compressors on 2 or more air conditioners cycle on at the same time, it will trip the generator circuit breaker. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Anand Shah

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2022, 07:40:22 AM »
I did, also tested for voltage at the transfer switch from the generator.   Sends 130v on both legs and the neutral to ground is also proper from what I can tell.   No voltage at output when on Genny.  I’m at shore power now and shore power works, just doesn’t switch to Generator.   Going back to the guys that installed in on Monday.   Survived 5 days of boondocking by running the engine the last two days for 2 hours and using the fridge for 8 hours a day.   I’m using 20A / hour at minimal load with the fridge on,  The Starlink and charging portable devices.   That gets me 60 hours;  it certainly worked well, But only for those 60 hours ;)

Anand and Shilpa Shah
Cat C-15 600HP
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks