Author Topic: Leaking steering box  (Read 1674 times)

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Leaking steering box
« on: November 14, 2022, 10:50:52 PM »
I believe that I have a Sheppard M83 steering box, or maybe a M80 series box.  It is currently leaking at a pretty good rate.  It is also at my mechanics now for a different issue,Oil cooler that fits in the side of the block.

From researching here I found that I have either the Sheppard steering box or a TRW.  One of my questions is are these steering boxes interchangeable?

I see that they are most often rebuilt, but what is the price difference between a complete unit, remanufactured would be fine and a rebuild.

Is the TRW unit actually a better unit?

I am trying to make this replacement as quick and easy as possible.  I cannot take up one of his service bays overnight and once I pull the box I will have to replace it where ever the coach is parked probably on the gravel or in the mud.

Thanks for any information or suggestions for places to purchase a steering box or seal kit.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Leaking steering box
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 11:13:13 PM »
Carl
The Shepard box will have the model number case into the casting of the main body you'll need the model number to either get parts or cross reference to a TRW box.
If the box you have steers well and does not have excessive play I'd consider resealing the box if the leak is just the sector shaft seal you should be able to replace that seal with the box still in the coach.
You should be able to find the Shepard manual in the coach assist along with some of the seal kit numbers .

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Carl Boger

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 05:58:17 PM »
Checking my steering box according to the paper tag it is a  M80PBQ1.  Would any Sheppard M80 seal kit work in this?   Is there a crossover reference chart for TRW? 

I contacted Sheppard and they warned me that not all M80's are equal and I need to make sure I have the correct model.  They are also the ones who identified it as a M80PBQ1, as I thought the Q was a 0.

At this point a reseal may be the only real option, but I was hoping not to need to drive it any farther with it leaking.  May have to fill it with fluid and limp it home where I can park it and remove the steering box on my schedule.
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 12:02:22 AM »
Carl
Which seal is leaking the sector shaft seal or the input shaft seal?
The seal numbers are in the coach assist manuals it also gives the Navistar numbers as they may be easier to get locally.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 12:30:25 AM »
Eric,

Not really sure which shaft, thinking the input shaft but haven't verified.  It was in the 30's with wet ground today so I didn't spend to much time checking it out.  Once I found the model number I got out pretty quickly.  I wish I would have snapped a few more pictures and even started it to verify the leaks location.

Learned a lot about Sheppard M80PBQ1 steering boxes today.  I am at least comfortable that I can now get it fixed correctly with the right parts. Never knew there were so many M80 steering boxes.  I was told they make 100 different ones and you have to verify the correct letters to get the parts/seals needed.

One more thing to fix to make this MH even better. 
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126

Richard Good

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 03:48:12 AM »
My seal leaked about 7 years ago. It is a 98 Patriot Ticonderoga. The shop I used replaced the seal but it blew again within a year. I then took it in and the whole steering box was replaced in the last year of the extended warranty. It cost about $2500 back in 2016 which was covered under the extended warranty. Touch wood, no leaks since.
98 Patriot Ticonderoga, CAT 3126, Blue Ox Towbar, 2023 Kia Forte GT manual.

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 04:33:23 AM »
Carl,
 I had my 1996 steering box rebuilt by RedHead in Auburn Washington. That is all they do is rebuild steering gear. The International truck dealer in Everett took it out and installed it. That was three years ago and 15-20,000 miles ago.
 Not sure where your located but you can have it dropped shipped to Redhead. You could also call them and see if they have a local recommendation for you.

Hope this helps,
  Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B