Author Topic: Queen to King  (Read 1942 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Queen to King
« on: March 22, 2023, 08:12:54 PM »
Has anyone modified their queen bed to a king bed? And if so, how did you go about doing it. Wife and I are really wanted to have a king bed but don’t want to give up our coach.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Queen to King
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 11:37:50 PM »
Fred,
We were able to use a king Select Comfort in our 2000 Marquis even though it speced a queen. It was a bit compressed at the night stands but the remainder was fine. Measure your available space to get an idea what will it on the platform.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 12:36:59 AM »
Fred,

That is a good question, as I had considered it but did not want to cut down my side tables or reduce the walking area all that much.

Thinking through this now, with a prompt in thinking from Steve, My current mattress is a Sealy foam mattress.  I/you could cut down one of the foam mattresses, the kind that come in a box and expand, to the width between the nightstands then slightly wider in the walk way areas.  Lastly cut it off at the correct length if it was to long.

My current Queen mattress is about 3 inches longer than the platform, but does not drop any in that span.  I probably would't want it any longer than 3 inches since it does cut into the walking area.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas and be helpful.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 12:03:31 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Believe I will order a special size 70 inch wide, 76 inches long mattress and squeeze it in.
Fred & Cindy

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 09:36:26 PM »
We use king size bedding (Travasac/RV Superbag). Using the oversize bedding makes it feel like a king.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 10:07:25 PM »
Our coach came from the factory with a king, but we wanted a queen for more walking around room and some space around the small “bed stands”.  BCS simply replaced the mattress, but (don’t quote me on this…memory dims) may have trimmed the edges down on the plywood sheet it sits on.  Whether a couple inches of plywood on either side is particularly necessary for king support, perhaps;  but a new perfect-fit sheet of plywood might be all you need if all coaches come prepared for a king mattress. 

That’s my assumption, maybe misguided, since our coach is a shorter-than-most Monterey, and yours, Fred, is a much larger floor plan that I’d assume came originally with a king.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 02:25:43 PM »
Our coach came from the factory with a king, but we wanted a queen for more walking around room and some space around the small “bed stands”.  BCS simply replaced the mattress, but (don’t quote me on this…memory dims) may have trimmed the edges down on the plywood sheet it sits on.  Whether a couple inches of plywood on either side is particularly necessary for king support, perhaps;  but a new perfect-fit sheet of plywood might be all you need if all coaches come prepared for a king mattress. 

That’s my assumption, maybe misguided, since our coach is a shorter-than-most Monterey, and yours, Fred, is a much larger floor plan that I’d assume came originally with a king.

Joel

Nope, wish it was originally a king. The space between the nightstands is just wide enough for a queen. We are spoiled by our king bed inside our home.
Fred & Cindy

Doug Till

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 11:17:33 PM »
We had Beaver Coach Sales remove the nightstand nearest the closet at rear of the coach. They added some support to the side for the king size bed. The mattress we purchased is a custom Ultra 700 Pillow Top, 72" X 80" with rounded corners. We purchased it in 2015 from The Mattress Factory in Bend, Oregon. We are very pleased with the mattress.
Doug & Sarah Till
40' 2003 Marquis-Ruby, C12 505 HP

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 02:09:16 PM »
Doug, after removing the nightstand nearest to the closet, how difficult is it to access the closet and to enter/exit the bed?
Fred & Cindy