Author Topic: TV cables  (Read 9583 times)

JimDyer

TV cables
« on: September 13, 2011, 01:52:45 PM »
My rig was built in 1998, and for TV cabling it has two cable connector points in the water manifold bay where all the other connection points are except the electric power cable. There are cable runs up to a switch panel located in the side wall over and behind the driver's window. The switch panel allows me to choose between cable/satellite, batwing antenna, and VCR for each of the two TV's.

The rig has a Datron satellite which seems to function, but it's only for DirecTV, and we wanted to use a Canadian provider as it gives us a greater diversity of channels. I don't think the previous owner used the Datron either, as I think the second cable run from the water bay was probably put in by an owner to accommodate a satellite dish at 'ground level'.

Last year I hooked up a VCR to both water bay connection points, and was able to get a signal through to the TV's. However, when I connect them to my dish, the signal isn't received inside.

Last winter I had my dish mounted on a steel pipe driven into the ground, with the cable run through the driver's window to a receiver sitting on the dash, then up the wall to the switch box. This year I'd like to have it look a little better, by coming in through the water bay with the other connections.

So, my questions are:

1. Is it likely that the cables installed in 1998 when the coach was built were a previous generation of coax, which just isn't good enough for modern satellite signals and HD?

2. Is it more likely to be a connection type issue, although I replaced one outside connection point with new parts?

3. Would a cable TV type amplifier at the outside connection point do anything?

4. Am I going to need to run new cables?

Thanks,

Jim

JimCasazze

Re: TV cables
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 02:21:55 PM »
Jim,

I believe my '99 originally had the Datron, but it had been replaced by tracstar SV260 prior to our ownership.  I was able to get the SV260 to work, but it was a real pain as it required a certain type of satellite IRD with a rs232 port and special software which limited me to DTV standard def (when it worked).  So I upgraded to the SV360, changed to Dish HD and now realize my satellite cabling is insufficient.  So, I'm guessing anything installed 1999 or older used RG59 instead of RG6.  

According to tracstar (and just about everyone I've discussed this with), all DSS systems need to use RG6.  The fact is that my system kind of works with RG59 be I have long "lock on" times and loose signal occassionally.  I went up top this weekend and also found two (2) barrel connectors where the Rg59 had been connected.  This is also a "no-no" according to the DSS people.  Straight run of RG6 with no connectors is the way to go.

So I've ordered cable, connectors, and the tools to replace our cable next weekend.  I'll post the results, but expect things will improve.

As far as the existing cables entering in the service bay; on our coach, there is only one cable there and it is for CATV entrance to the coach.  This cable runs to a CATV/Antenna selector over the drivers head which also contains an amplifier.  By turning on the little switch, Antenna is selected, the red LED glows and the amplifier is on.  Turning the switch off, disconnects the antenna and connects the CATV to the coach.

Either the Cable or Antenna (whichever is selected), then goes to a eight button selector box, which allowed the front and rear TV's to choose a) Antenna or CATV, b) VCR, c) AUX

I've bypassed this selector box entirely for my new HDTV up front, but still use it to route modulated (channel 3) signals to the rear when needed.  Eventually the rear tv will also get replaced with a HDTV as well.  However, It is my understanding that all the coax in the coach was RG59 and will be somewhat limiting for future use.

J

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 02:41:01 PM »
Datron antenna is not supported any more as they have been out of the RV market for a number of years. You probably will not be able to reprogram to a new provider nor will it pick up HD.

1. Coax some have gotten an acceptable picture with existing coax. I would try it before trying to replace it. We have upgraded cable to the receiver from the sat antenna.

2. We get a an acceptable signal through our switch system we have three choices Antenna/cable VCR (now DVD) and Direct TV but do not have HD TV

3. Cable amplifier probably works with a cable signal only and good connections makes it unecessary in our case.

4. Running new cables is quite an undertaking.

JimDyer

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 02:52:33 PM »
[quote author=]Jim,

I believe my '99 originally had the Datron, but it had been replaced by tracstar SV260 prior to our ownership.  I was able to get the SV260 to work, but it was a real pain as it required a certain type of satellite IRD with a rs232 port and special software which limited me to DTV standard def (when it worked).  So I upgraded to the SV360, changed to Dish HD and now realize my satellite cabling is insufficient.  So, I'm guessing anything installed 1999 or older used RG59 instead of RG6.  

According to tracstar (and just about everyone I've discussed this with), all DSS systems need to use RG6.  The fact is that my system kind of works with RG59 be I have long "lock on" times and loose signal occassionally.  I went up top this weekend and also found two (2) barrel connectors where the Rg59 had been connected.  This is also a "no-no" according to the DSS people. Straight run of RG6 with no connectors is the way to go.So I've ordered cable, connectors, and the tools to replace our cable next weekend.  I'll post the results, but expect things will improve.

As far as the existing cables entering in the service bay; on our coach, there is only one cable there and it is for CATV entrance to the coach.  This cable runs to a CATV/Antenna selector over the drivers head which also contains an amplifier.  By turning on the little switch, Antenna is selected, the red LED glows and the amplifier is on.  Turning the switch off, disconnects the antenna and connects the CATV to the coach.

Either the Cable or Antenna (whichever is selected), then goes to a eight button selector box, which allowed the front and rear TV's to choose a) Antenna or CATV, b) VCR, c) AUX

I've bypassed this selector box entirely for my new HDTV up front, but still use it to route modulated (channel 3) signals to the rear when needed.  Eventually the rear tv will also get replaced with a HDTV as well.  However, It is my understanding that all the coax in the coach was RG59 and will be somewhat limiting for future use.

J[/quote]

Very good description. that's exactly what I have except that the aux port has a wire labelled 'satellite' that runs to one of the connection points in the water bay. The other one runs into the switch box area, but is not connected.  I'm thinking of going to a projection TV mounted over the couch, with the screen mounted on the bottom of the cabinets between the recliner and the co-pilot chair. Then i could mount a connection point for the satellite on the bottom of the slide and run the cable up inside the window shade box in a straight run to the receiver mounted under the cabinets over the couch. that's if the existing cabling is a goner........the rear TV would have to do with non-HD for now, or else use a satellite splitter as my under-slide connection point, and then run a new cable back in the basement to the back bedroom wall for another projector..

JimDyer

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 02:58:21 PM »
Richard, I agree with you. The problem is before the receiver. Once you're through the receiver, the lod stuff works fine.Thanks for reminding me of that. I had to run new CAT5 cables for the inverter controller when Xantrex warrantied my Prosine 3, so I know it's easier than you would think to get below decks, but yes, it's still a job.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:26:35 PM »
FWIW, the satellite connection next to the cable connection at the water bay on my 08 Contessa goes to where the satellite interface box was so a satellite reciver and TV could be placed outside.

Gil

JimDyer

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 11:07:08 AM »
Gil, both of mine are on the back (utility) side, so not for an outside TV, but thanks.

JimCasazze

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 08:45:05 PM »
Update:  This past weekend we pulled all the old RG59 from the SV360 dome to the indoor box and replaced it with a 25' run of professional grade RG6 quad shield cable.  There is no question in my mind that this has made a considerable positive improvement.  

The indoor box upload to the dome loads perfectly now and in 1/2 the time.  Dish locks onto satelittes in 1/2 the time.  No more pixilation of picture on HD channels every few minutes.

I'm now a believer that RG6 is necessary for HD DSS to work propertly.

J

Robert Mathis

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 01:32:18 PM »
I am trying to use the "sat' port in the water bay on my Contessa to us an outside dish for those times when the dome is covered. Anyone know where that line goes? I have an in motion dome, with coax going to the front and bedroom recievers? I saw in an earlier post that there is supposed to be a satellite interface box.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:48 PM »
Robert is it a Sat out port from your roof mount  in motion dome so you can have a TV with its own receiver in the bay?

Robert Mathis

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 02:15:52 PM »
I think it is an in port to connect an outside dish. I bought a tripod mount dish and it was delivered yesterday. I tried hooking it up thru the port in the bay and had no luck. When I hooked it directly to the reciever, i got it set up and aimed, and everything worked. ( the motorhome is inside the barn and the dome is off). I then reconnected to the "sat" port in the water bay and had no result. This port is right beside the "cable" port, which I know is an inlet port. I have a real "rats nest" of coax and cables in the overhead because of the surround sound and reciever being all in the same place. Since I bought this rig used, I have no idea how everythign was originally set-up. i have a TV in the middle bay, that works on either the antenna or the cable, but not the satellite, a tv in the bedroom with seperate coax for cable/antenna and satellite, and the front tv with both. i would like to use the tripod dish for those times the dome won't work and alos to feed the bay tv.

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 02:30:31 PM »
Robert,
I don't know about yours, but most rigs that have a roof dish and a water bay sat port have an "A/B" switch located somewhere. It's generally set up so that if you are using the roof dish it is in the "A" (above) position and when using the water bay port you switch to "B" (below) for the input. There is a coax cable that is going into your receiver box input - follow that back and you should find the switch.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 02:39:53 PM »
Thanks, Jay. I will work on it some more after work today. I really need to unhook everything and figure out where all the wires go and what they do. I'm sure there must be a switch "somewhere", it's the "where" that has me worried. :)

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »
Robert,

I have a 03 Contessa that also has the sat connection in the water bay alongside the cable connection. I recently had to open the bay up to change a sensor for the gray water and when I removed the white cover plate I discovered that the sat connection had no wire to it and I couldn't fine one in the tangle of wires. So, I think in my case anyway the sat wire was never installed.  I do know that the sat dish was not factory installed so perhaps when that is the case they don't run the sat wire. You may want to verify if in fact you have the sat wire to that connection.

Good luck,

Paul

Robert Mathis

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 05:34:39 PM »
I found mine in the overhead, behind the panel that the in-motion dome switch is located. Monaco also told me that if the cable was not in the service bay, it would be coiled up in the engine compartment. I also found a cable marked "patio coax" and I have no earthly idea where that one might go. I know it doesn't go to the tv in the middle bay.