Author Topic: Want to add washer dryer. Looking for recommendations.  (Read 2347 times)

Gregory J Dugre

• BAC Member
Want to add washer dryer. Looking for recommendations.
« on: May 29, 2023, 01:19:39 PM »
My coach is plumbed for a washer/dryer and I would like to add one. Trying to decide if I should go new or used and what would be the best brand? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Greg
2006 Beaver Monterey Ventura IV
C9 Cat Allison 3000

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Want to add washer dryer. Looking for recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 01:43:48 PM »
Greg
There are a couple of choices you can go with a combination unit ( washer and dryer in one unit)this takes up the least amount of space but has limitations as to load size .
Or if you have the space you can use a stacking set with separate washer and dryer ( much faster and larger loads )
Most new coaches are going this way and if you can spare the room it would be my recommendation
Just remember when your shopping that your looking for a dryer that will work on 120 volts and it has to fit in the cabinet you plan to install it into .
And you'll have to add a dryer vent to the coach.

Hope this helps
Eric

1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Gregory J Dugre

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 05:30:16 PM »
Greg
We have the same coach that you have.  Ours has the Splendide 2100 vented combo washer/dryer.  Our previous two motorhomes did not have washer/dryers when we purchased them.  I installed Splendide 2000 series units in those coaches (the 2000 series was the current version at the time).  These are all vented units.  The reviews for the ventless condensing versions complain that they take an excessive amount of time to dry, so I would not recommend them.  The vented versions take long enough to dry since they only have a 120 volt heater rather than the 240 volt heaters in residential dryers.  So, I recommend you take the trouble to cut a vent hole in the passenger side rear corner and install a vented dryer.  We have been happy with all of our Splendide combos.  They are certainly not cheap, currently retailing for around $1500.  Rarely do I see used ones in good condition, so it is unlikely that you could go that route.  One of the units I bought was new but freight damaged and I saved a few hundred dollars on that one.  Good luck with your install.
Richard
p.s. I recommend you install the plastic drip tray underneath the unit while you are doing the install.  Best to avoid unseen water damage behind the washer if you can. 
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 05:34:04 PM »
Greg
Forgot to comment, your Ventura IV has the upper cabinet available above the washer cabinet, so you could go with stackable washer below and dryer above.  My wife is unwilling to give up the storage, so we do just fine with the limited load size of the combo units.
Richard

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 06:12:21 PM »
Greg
I thought you might appreciate a photo of the vent location on my Ventura IV.  The best I can measure from the outside indicates that the vent hole is centered 6 & 1/2 inches in front of the rear cap seam trim (25 & 1/2 inches behind the back edge of the bedroom slide) and 46 inches above the beltline trim.  Hopefully that will give you an idea where to cut the vent hole and not hit anything important.
Richard

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 10:43:05 PM »
We also have an ‘06 Ventura and had BCS install a Splendide combo in it when we bought it new.  Like Richard’s wife, mine wouldn’t give up the storage in the top cabinets, otherwise separate washer and dryer would’ve been nice because, as we were warned, it takes far longer to wash and dry clothes with these units.  It was bad enough they removed 3 big drawers to the left of the wardrobe closet for the machine.  The plumbing was already there, but I’d read about unvented drying and didn’t want to go there, so had them create the vent as part of the installation.  It’s almost identical to Richard’s.

We were not crazy about continuing on the laundromat carousel every so often, and having the ability to clean anything anytime (almost) anywhere made the choice easier.  Be prepared for a routine of several smaller loads over a much longer timeframe, watching more carefully the gray tank level or remembering to open that valve when hooked to sewer, use “he” detergent, and remembering to include the unit during winterization so it’s pump doesn’t freeze and crack.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 01:44:27 PM »
Greg
I have the older pre splendid model which is vented, in my coach as mentioned earlier it works well but can only handle smaller loads and take longer to dry than a residential model because of the 120 volt heat element.
An average load would consist of what you are wearing.
It's also worth mentioning that these units use a lot of water to complete a full load ( in the 15 to 25 gallon) range depending on the number of rinse cycles.
We have learned over time that by limiting the number of rinse cycles from 5 to 3 by using the perm a press cycle for the wash and then use the normal wash final spin cycle to do a final high speed spin which works well.
Before the dry cycle it is important to take the clothes which will be stuck to the sides of the drum after the high speed final spin cycle and fluff them up as this allows the air to flow around and through them better and makes them dry faster and better
I believe half the complaints about slow drying on the vented models are because the clothes are in a mated state stuck to the sides of the drum.
As mentioned by others AVOID a non vented unit as they use a condensing system to dry the clothes. This system uses even more water to create steam to dry the clothes and take for ever to dry.

And as mentioned earlier take the time to install a drip pan under the unit to collect any spillage and keep it out of the coach floor
On my unit I installed a drip pan and drain pipe to the out side so if there is a leak the water is dump outside.
Like the one below as dryer vent

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/DrainAWay-Pans-p/72-4873.htm

https://www.campingworld.com/splendide-dryer-vent-kit---chrome-plated-48677.html

When installing your dryer vent it is best to get a straight run from the machine to the out side wall as there is very little space between the machine and the wall ( 4 to 6) tops and a turn on the vent hose will be hard to deal with and cause a restriction in the flow ( a bad thing ).
I see others have given dimensions to install the vent just measure to make sure it will be in the right spot for your machine to align with.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.