Author Topic: Working Under the Beaver  (Read 8278 times)

Dick Simonis

Working Under the Beaver
« on: October 12, 2011, 04:39:56 PM »
Now that we're home and have the Beaver situated beside the house, it's getting time to start paying attention to details that I've been avoiding while traveling.

One item on my list is to get underneath and start familiarizing myself with what all is down there.  However, it doesn't look like there is much room, when the air is dumped, and that suggests there could be a safety hazard if the air dumps while one was under the coach.  I'm thinking about dropping the jacks while the coach is at full ride height and also hooking my air compressor to the port in the aft bay.  I would seem that would also help looking for any air leaks.

Is this a practical approach?  And what do others do??

Thanks.

Dick
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:04:22 AM by 14 »

Robert Mathis

Re: Working Under the Beaver
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »
Since I don't have jacks, I raise the coach up on the air bags and slide under there, but I make sure my wife and Grandkids are not around to touch anything. I wouldn't hesitate to crawl under one with the jacks down on level ground.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 07:58:14 PM »
I air mine up and then put 4X6 oak blocks under the frame where the suspension attaches. Ain't gonna fall on me. Marty

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 08:22:36 PM »
Jack Stands are Recommended, however, I have been under mine without, to fill add fluid to the jack/slide tank, and the jacks could not be down as you can only have one down 6 inches to get the jack down sensor to work properly.  I do put the jacks down for other things, however. Most recent was a rear brake job, but we used jack stands also for the suspension, but the leveling jacks to keep body clearance.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:07:15 AM by 14 »

JimDyer

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 12:20:42 PM »
The Safety Mavens will tell you that the air or hydraulics jacks can suddenly drop at any time and kill you.  Not likely, but if you have your life insurance paid and feel lucky today, go for it!

As for me and Grandpa, we believe! I'd use the jacks to get it high enough to get the axle stands under......

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the input and i'll look around and see if I can get jack stands under it someplace.  The open question still is regarding the air chock in the equipment bay.  If I have my air compressor connected to it will it pressurize the entire air system???  I can easily supply 120 psi to the coach and one of my objectives is to inspect the air sytem for leaks.

Thanks

Dick

Keith Oliver

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »
I too would like to know if pressurizing from the air chuck will work.  Is there anything that would be damaged if you try it?  You would need to rig up a hose with a male connector on both ends, but other than that, simple.

Ken Buck

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »
Depending on your coach and the possibility of a one way valve somewhere, you certainly could air up your vehicle from your air compressor. I have a fitting on my coach for airing it up in case it needs towed right in front where it's convenient. To check if yours works that way, pump the brakes and lower the air pressure in your system and then connect the compressor. If you see the air guages rise and hear your air tanks fill back up then you know it works.

Your manual may ever tell exactly where it is designed to receive air from an outside source.

Ken

Harvey Ziegler

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 07:34:09 PM »
If the air chuck is tied into the drain line frome the primary air tank then the air line should fill both tanks but if it is on the secondary air system then you will only be able to fill the secondry system as there is and must be a one way valve between the primnary and secondary systems.
You will also be adding moisture to your air system from the home compressor which is not good.
Harvey & Marilyn Ziegler
2004 Monterey  Newport
350 HP Cummins ISC
2010 Jeep Wrangler

Dick Simonis

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 07:54:22 PM »
Quote from: Harvey Ziegler
If the air chuck is tied into the drain line frome the primary air tank then the air line should fill both tanks but if it is on the secondary air system then you will only be able to fill the secondry system as there is and must be a one way valve between the primnary and secondary systems.
You will also be adding moisture to your air system from the home compressor which is not good.

Isn't the secondary tank what I'd be most interested in for leak checking the brakes and ride systems??

I do have an air dryer on the compresser but if I aired up the system first than connected external air, I shouldn't introduce much anyway....just make up air.  Or so I think.

Harvey Ziegler

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 07:43:29 PM »
Dick.

Sorry it took so long for me to reply but I do not check the forums every day.
The recommended way to check your brake air system for leaks is to apply and hold the brakes on for several minuites with the system air up, engine off and parking brake off. Watch the air pressure gauges while holding the brakes on. You need to hold constent pressure on the brake pedal as any movement will cause a release of air. If the pressure does not drop more than 4 psi in 3 minuites then your brake system is good.
The GREEN pressure gauge is for the primary air system which operates the front axle service brakes. The RED or Orange pressure gauge is for the secondary air system which operates the rear axle (axles) service brakes and the spring brakes.

As to which air system the air ride is operated from I have not figured that out yet.
As for applying a remote air supply to the air system to prevent the air ride from dumping air I do not know if that would work as I beleive that
when you turn off the ignition key it turns off the air ride system so that even with the air tanks full it would not add air the the air ride system if it were to lose some air.

DO NOT try to tighten or adjust any air line connections with the air system pressurized as this would be a very dangerous condition.

Hope this makes some sense to everyone and if I am out to lunch I trust someone will set me straight.
Harvey & Marilyn Ziegler
2004 Monterey  Newport
350 HP Cummins ISC
2010 Jeep Wrangler

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 03:10:59 PM »
Yes you can use an air compressor to air up your coaches suspension. Just hook it to the air chuck at the service bay. I have done this for years on our 98 Monterey and our 02 Thunder. I carry a small electric compressor and use it all the time when I'm in a campground so I don't have to disdurb the neighbors when I leave early. That way I can just start the engine drop it in gear and idle out. Marty