Author Topic: water in bottom of fridge  (Read 6134 times)

Frank Bannert

water in bottom of fridge
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:32:45 PM »
I have a 4 dr. Norcold 1200LRIM fridge. Every time we use the fridge we have water at the bottom of the fridge. It appears to be dripping from the fins in the back and does not drain out on the tray below. There is a drain hose out the back with a small pan, but nothing drains into it.  Any ideas where this water is to drain too.

Frank
02 pat
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:28:29 AM by 14 »

Tom and Pat Fudale

Re: water in bottom of fridge
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 12:49:49 AM »
Check the end of that drain hose, there is a screen in it to keep bugs out. That screen sometimes gets clogged.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:29:30 AM by 14 »

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 12:54:34 AM »
My hose is just pinched and it I open it up, some debris comes out.  Regardless, that may be your problem.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:30:25 AM by 14 »

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 01:32:41 AM »
My '02 Patriot had the same problem.  The hose was pinched by the factory with a very small hole to drain the water.  I cut the pinched end off, cleaned the trash out and per Norcold, put a small piece of sponge (from a sponge type paint brush) up the end of the hose.  Just cut the very end of the hose or it will be too short to put in the pan.  

I have seen the hose with a black plastic plug, that also has a small hole in it, from the factory.  In this case, just take the plastic plug out, clean and remove the trash from inside the hose.  Replace the plug, and check to make sure it drains properly.

Good luck,

Karl
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:32:53 AM by 14 »
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Frank Bannert

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 02:31:26 PM »
Thanks for all the replies? I will give these a try. Seems as this is a pretty common problem.

Frank
02 Pat

David Fischer

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 05:19:40 PM »
I have a 1997 Marquis and my Dometic has the same problem and years ago I noticed water draining from under the coach and figured that it was the refrigerator drain.  My problem is, after reading this forum I went looking for the drain and now can't find it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Frank Bannert

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 05:42:11 PM »
David, I just went out and did mine. I cut the end off and their was a lot of build up in there. I am not sure if this is what the problem was but it seems that would be the place as the hole was very tiny and some calcium was in there enough to block the hole. We will be trying it out next week as we leave for Kerrville,Tx. My drain was in a plastic pipe made of a white hose and I pulled it out and cut the end off and blew it out with a small compressor. The drain also goes through the exterior wall and to the ground.  That is where it is suppose to drain. Hope it helps for what it's worth. HAVE A GREAT DAY

Frank
02 Pat

Ron Langdon

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 04:26:09 AM »
We had the same water problem with our Norcold. We discovered a sharp bend (about 90 degrees) in the drain hose where it is supposed to drain down into the catch basin. Water was freezing. Norcold has a fix for the problem. Take the bend out of the hose and run it right into the catch pan outside. No more water in bottom of refrig. Be careful going through the foam.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 04:55:47 AM »
Quote from: Frank Bannert
David, I just went out and did mine. I cut the end off and their was a lot of build up in there. I am not sure if this is what the problem was but it seems that would be the place as the hole was very tiny and some calcium was in there enough to block the hole. We will be trying it out next week as we leave for Kerrville,Tx. My drain was in a plastic pipe made of a white hose and I pulled it out and cut the end off and blew it out with a small compressor. The drain also goes through the exterior wall and to the ground.  That is where it is suppose to drain. Hope it helps for what it's worth. HAVE A GREAT DAY

You may now have a cooling proplem in the fridge.  The reason for the crimped end is so cold air doesn't siphon out of the fridge.  Best close that back up a bit.

Frank
02 Pat