General Boards > Redecorating and Updating your Motorhome

Second dash monitor

(1/3) > >>

Jeff Watt:
I am wondering if it is possible to add another dash monitor so that two things can be seen at the same time. For example in my unit the Kenwood indash screen shows Aladdin (including back-up), Navigation and radio. Now the Navigation is 6 or 7 years old so i don't necessarily rely on it but it is still there to watch. I do like to check engine status and trip/fuel usage. To do so requires changing input on the Kenwood and then toggling through Aladdin. I know it should not be a big deal, but traveling at highway speed and trying to switch inputs necessitates some caution.

This is where I don't have a clue if it is even possible. If there is a second monitor, which has the Aladdin screen showing, can the Kenwood be left to the Nav or the radio? Then does the Aladdin toggle work?

My coach only has the back-up camera, and I have been thinking of adding a couple of other cameras - maybe more work than it is worth. Any thoughts?

Brad Burgess:
Hello Jeffrey

I did this exact thing in my ',03 Monterey.  I use the original Sony unit for the rear camera and use the additional screen for all of the Aladdin data, which is still controlled by the Aladdin joystick.  Easy to accomplish, but hard to explain, as I do not type well.  If you are interested call me at 480-502-2651.

Kindest Regards,

Brad Burgess

Mike Humble:
We did similar on our 2008 Contessa.  Replaced the radio with one with screen, and have GPS on old monitor, with left and right cameras when turning and rear view on radio.  We don't have Aladdin, so that is totally separate.
Mike

Bill Sprague:
There goes another $500!  I gotta have a better "radio" than what Beaver gave me.

Brad Burgess:
Hi Bill

I used a $50.00 TFT screen from amazon and added it to the system - the radio was not involved at all.  This is a much safer setup than only having the one screen - - I can constantly see the toad on the Sony monitor and can constantly see the Alladin readout for the engine, transmission and cruise control data without having to toggle through menus and screens to obtain the critical information (although the TFT screen does provide all of the Alladin menus) - and only for 10% of your $500.00 radio cost.

The $50.00 is worth it from a safety standpoint so as not to have to toggle through menus and screens while not looking at the road.  You also have instant access to the toad view and engine data at the same time.

Kindest Regards,

Brad Burgess

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version