Author Topic: Interior wood finish  (Read 4774 times)

Bob McCORMACK

Interior wood finish
« on: November 06, 2011, 03:49:06 AM »
[size=14][/size]In the process of replacing the ice maker with a trash compactor I have had to make a new end panel for the kitchen cabinet.  My patriot has the dark oak finish.   Does anyone know what type of finish/stain  Beaver used on the 96 patriots ?

Thanks    Racer Bob

Keith Oliver

Re: Interior wood finish
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 03:07:23 PM »
You will be able to match the finish adequately with any polyurethane, after staining to match.  Pick up several sample size stains from any paint store, try them on a scrap of the wood you are using.  When satisfied with the colour, stain your piece.  Leave it a day, then apply several coats of a wipe-on polyurethane.  That will give you a smooth, semi gloss finish, just like the rest of the woodwork.  If your coach still has its original finish (15 years, not too likely), and you don't like the contrast, it is a simple matter to keep going and freshen up the adjacent woodwork.  The original was likely a spray lacquer, but after any more than a couple of years, it will be fully cured and non-reactive to any new finish, so all you need to be concerned about is the amount of gloss you are seeking.

Bob McCORMACK

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 05:55:18 PM »
[size=14][/size]Thanks Keith.   My interior is like new, previous owner took real good care.  

Bob

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:37:29 PM »
We also had to do some modifications, so I asked a cabinet maker to make a new end table with maple.  She told me the finish on our 2003 Marquis was gloss lacquer.  The new maple and lacquer finish are not as yellow but already the new table and drawers are starting to blend in.
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Keith Oliver

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:41:03 PM »
Blending in is what the sun will do for you.  It won't take long.  Most finishing varnishes will yellow with sun exposure.  Lacquers not so much.  Water based finishes are not supposed to change a lot, but will allow the UV to affect the colour of the wood underneath.  So don't be concerned if the colour match isn't perfect.  It will change a lot in the first year, and after that you will be hard pressed to know which piece was in first.